Basic DSLR Camera for start-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
me also wanting to take up dslr, maybe i'll start off from the Sony's A230, probably from the upcoming COMEX...

got 1 question, from what i know, some brands of dslr have their IS built into either the body or lens. which is good? in layman terms please... :what:

me also wanting to take up dslr, maybe i'll start off from the Sony's A230, probably from the upcoming COMEX...

got 1 question, from what i know, some brands of dslr have their IS built into either the body or lens. which is good? in layman terms please... :what:

Image Stablisation compensates for camera shake so you can take sharp handheld pictures at shutter speed slower than otherwise possible.

There is more than one way to achieve image stabilization. If either one weren't good nobody would by it, right?
Both IS systems work and do their job. It's a technology decision that each company makes at a point (based on various factors) whether they implement IS in the lens or in the body. IS in lens would obviously work only for this particular lens whereas IS in body works for all lenses. But C and N claim that their in-lens IS is always adjusted to the respective focal length and therefore better than a generic "one IS for all lenses" in the body as Sony has it. Secondly, the effect of in-lens IS is visible when looking through viewfinder and focus / meter on subject, in-body IS only starts working when you take the picture (which flips up the mirror and the viewfinder is dark). Don't waste too much time on that topic. For a beginner it doesn't matter much. Learn proper handholding techniques, don't rely on technology too much.
Regarding COMEX: search the forum for threads asking for the other electronic gadget fairs here. You'll get plenty of advices to better go for a camera shop instead. Or do you buy your car in a grocery shop?

If you get it at COMEX, you'll probably have to pay retail price

You have to decide what kind of photo you like to take, different system (yes they are called system) has superiority on top of another on different area. On top of that do you like to post-process (or do you have time to post process). How dependent are you with in-camera noise control? Do you shoot a lot of stills (including architecture) or sports? Indoor or Outdoor? Macro or landscape or portrait? No doubt all camera can do these but some camera can handle better than the other. Find out about these, and especially try it out yourself if you can. If you have friends who can lend you stuff, make sure you can really borrow, cos some think they can borrow only later to find out actually not.

dun worry too much.

u can't go wrong with either a canon or nikon.
so get 1 and shoot.
u will learn by practise,not reading

If you get it at COMEX, you'll probably have to pay retail price

yea, and they'll throw in freebies that you won't need

but some people get attracted to it

personally i prefer paying lower prices then getting those freebies and pay RRP:bsmilie:

Just go to any camera shop and try the cameras out...That way, you can learn the advantages and the disadvantages of the different brands

Just go to any camera shop and try the cameras out...That way, you can learn the advantages and the disadvantages of the different brands

well, true in a way... only scare that the salesmen only looking for sales and smoke us.

Care to share with me why entry-level DSLR D90 you suggested?

because if you buy lower models of nikon, then you have a limited lens range..go read about AF-S..

if you are not buying nikon, then you are out of my realms..

You might want to research about LiveView too. It's just like how P&S cameras work, you see the picture on the LCD before pressing the button. Traditional DSLRs need you to use the viewfinder to compose and use the LCD only to see the outcome picture.

Viewfinder will always be faster and more efficient than LiveView, but it's always a handy tool to have. It's very helpful in macro, manual focusing, and auto focusing using contrast detection (slower but helpful in low light conditions when the viewfinder can't focus)

Canon 1000D has it, but Sony A230 and Nikon D60 not. You will have to upgrade a bit to Nikon D5000 (which I think has the best image quality in the entry level class) and Sony A330 to get liveview. As I said its not that critical but still nice to have.

Hehe watever they said plz take note. But dun follow. ^^ final decision is all up to you to decide which camera or lens range that u would wanna explore. Buy lens according to your needs otherwise you wud spend unnecessary money. ^^

Just buy one this weekend and start snapping.
Don't have to wait for Comex. :nono:

well, true in a way... only scare that the salesmen only looking for sales and smoke us.

Well, I believe that you will definitely get your camera at a lower price when purchased from a reputable camera shop rather than COMEX, assuming you:

1) Do your research on the item you targeted
2) Do not purchase add-ons that you aren't familiar with, especially if the salesmen continuously reduce the prices to get you to buy(macro filters, wide-angle filters, 3rd party batteries)
3) Also research on models that you might consider alternatives to your first choice, so in case you decide to change your mind you still get decent prices

Purchasing from COMEX simply makes no sense because:

1) You have to brave long queues to pay up and collect freebies
2) Prices are not attractive even with freebies thrown in
3) Too many people; salesmen might not offer good service to you and you might feel rushed when testing out the cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.