basic auto DSLR

tianxin

Mar 10, 2006
Hi, I am looking for a basic, lightweight DSLR for travelling purpose. Mainly bringing to the beach. Mostly using auto focus coz friends / tourguides will be handling too. Need to have good zoom & macro.
Anyone know where to get 2nd hand one or knows of someone selling? As I dont use often, so, thinking of just getting a second hand one. I need it this week.

tianxin said:
Hi, I am looking for a basic, lightweight DSLR for travelling purpose. Mainly bringing to the beach. Mostly using auto focus coz friends / tourguides will be handling too. Need to have good zoom & macro.
Anyone know where to get 2nd hand one or knows of someone selling? As I dont use often, so, thinking of just getting a second hand one. I need it this week.

Something you have to understand is that the camera itself doesn't have macro, it's not like your compacts and bridge cameras. If you want macro, you must get a lens for that. Same thing for zoom, you can't say this camera has good zoom, it depends on the focal length you need and what lens you choose to use.

Check out the Buy/Sell section here, lots of people selling camera bodies and kits. Most entry level cameras can do what you need.

Last edited:
Based on your needs, why need a DSLR?

Get a compact with good face recognition and macro mode will do.

You can check out this thread to see if anything interest:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4592645

cheers

You will want a point and shoot, instead of a DSLR.

As for where to buy, you have been here for six years and still unaware of the buy and sell section?

a good compact can do the job. more lightweight and smaller. oh and cheaper also.
why DSLR?

a good compact can do the job. more lightweight and smaller. oh and cheaper also.
why DSLR?

DSLR looks cooler, alone for the looks it's worth getting a DSLR! For taking photos you can carry an additional point and shoot in your pocket.

Where to get? Used shops, clubsnap forum, ebay etc

Any DSLR will have auto mode and autofocus. Be prepared to buy more lenses if you want "good zoom" (as a member since 2006, you *do* understand what focal length is, right?) and if you want Macro then buy a macro lens.

But based on what I can see from your questions, I do not believe you understand the use and purpose of a DSLR (right lens for the right task) and so I recomment a high-zoom bridge camera, like the Sony HX30 or the Canon SX50.

I recommend just bringing an iPhone. Simple, does the job. But warn you first ah, you won't look "pro" :p

What DSLR gives you most is the ability to use different specialized lenses for certain purposes, and it also gives you a lot more control over all parameters of taking a photograph.

You want very good auto mode, and very good zoom with macro, and easy to handle. IT is obvious DSLR is not what you should be looking at. Look at some of the newer bridge cameras with superzooms. I recommend the Fujifilm X-S1.

Fujifilm X-S1 Review

Well... TS can get a DSLR body + a Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO and there you have it. It cover from wide to tele-range and had macro (some sort of) capability.

As for the camera body... well... All major brands of camera had it... be it Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony. My advise is get the cheaper entry level cam body.

Basic light weight DSLR = 1100D, D3200

Basic light weight DSLR with good macro lens or zoom mounted on = definately not consided light to you.

My advise: Get other systems like m4/3. Can change lens and definately lighter that DSLR.

my mobile phone can do smile-shot which my DSLR can't :(
can do macro (or pseudo macro)
can post to FB
can share on Picasa immediately.

Only thing is no AV mode or TV mode -__-

Shizuma said:
my mobile phone can do smile-shot which my DSLR can't :(
can do macro (or pseudo macro)
can post to FB
can share on Picasa immediately.

Only thing is no AV mode or TV mode -__-

You don't need Av or Tv mode, you only need auto everything mode.

You don't need Av or Tv mode, you only need auto everything mode.

i already have that . even auto shoot ( smile shot ) when i too lazy to even press shutter button lol