Basic Adobe Lightroom question

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Hi all, I imported photos from a USB drive into Lightroom on my macbook. I then did some editing and stuff on the photos. I just realised that during import, I forgot to specify to lightroom to copy the photos onto the macbook hard-disk. Therefore, it still refers to the photos on the USB drive. If I want to export the re-touched photos I need to insert the USB again.

What is the best way to get my photos onto the mac's harddrive? How do I get lightroom to recognise that the files have moved from the USB to the mac harddrive?

Simplify transfer all your unedited photos to your hard drive.
Then import it to your lightroom.
Do your post process in the lightroom.
When done, export the final artwork.

*What is done in lightroom, stay in lightroom. You want your final copy, export it out from lightroom. Your unedited photos in your hard drive will still stay unedited.

Hope this helps.

Hi all, I imported photos from a USB drive into Lightroom on my macbook. I then did some editing and stuff on the photos. I just realised that during import, I forgot to specify to lightroom to copy the photos onto the macbook hard-disk. Therefore, it still refers to the photos on the USB drive. If I want to export the re-touched photos I need to insert the USB again.
What is the best way to get my photos onto the mac's harddrive? How do I get lightroom to recognise that the files have moved from the USB to the mac harddrive?

You use the wrong method. Instead of "import from disk" you need to use "Import from device". As result LR will copy the images to the standard folder defined in the catalog settings (and copy to backup folder if option is selected).
You can also copy the files manually from USB to the intended target folder, then remove USB, start LR and when LR signals "image file not found" you can "update location" and point to the new (and correct) location.

red_ryder,

You can do the following steps:

1. Move (or copy) the photos from your USB drive to harddisk manually.
2. Now remove the USB drive.
3. Open LR and you'll see that your LR Library will show a small "?" on the upper right hand of each photo.
4. Click on the "?" and you'll be asked to locate the original photo files.
5. Click the "Locate" button and point to the photos on the harddisk. Make sure you check the "find nearby missing photos" check box too.
6. LR Library will then update your photo location to point to the harddisk.

I think the above should work. Hope this helps.

open LR, select the photos in the USB drive and drag them into your macbook drive... simple as that

Guys, I think TS has ALREADY edited the photos.
To save the settings so that u NEEED NOT RE-EDIT everything, simply

Method 1 : Export to DNG method
1) Select all the photos you have edited.
2) Choose "Export to DNG"
3) Direct it to the folder on the harddrive you want.

You will see a copy of every file with your edits as DNG files (digital negatives, a good work file format)

Method 2 : Redirect Missing Folder
1) Copy all files to a location on harddrive (say, X:\WorkFiles)
2) Disconnect the USB.
3) When you select photos in Lightroom, they will say "File is missing from local drive"
4) Choose "Select Missing Folder" and direct it to X:\WorkFiles or whereever you saved in Step 1.

LR will point to the correct files in the harddrive instead of the USB.

In future, import yr files using the methods mention in the above thread, and that will save u time. These 2 methods is to save whatever you did wrongly this time round. :)

Hope that helps.

you know that you can move photos WITHIN LR and that LR will move them on your computer?! a lot easier this way

Guys, I think TS has ALREADY edited the photos.
To save the settings so that u NEEED NOT RE-EDIT everything, simply

Method 1 : Export to DNG method
1) Select all the photos you have edited.
2) Choose "Export to DNG"
3) Direct it to the folder on the harddrive you want.

You will see a copy of every file with your edits as DNG files (digital negatives, a good work file format)

Method 2 : Redirect Missing Folder
1) Copy all files to a location on harddrive (say, X:\WorkFiles)
2) Disconnect the USB.
3) When you select photos in Lightroom, they will say "File is missing from local drive"
4) Choose "Select Missing Folder" and direct it to X:\WorkFiles or whereever you saved in Step 1.

LR will point to the correct files in the harddrive instead of the USB.

In future, import yr files using the methods mention in the above thread, and that will save u time. These 2 methods is to save whatever you did wrongly this time round. :)

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.