Based on rty's "Three's Company" - an adventure in PS

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
Posting this here, since this is more about PS than photo taking.

With rty's permission, I have modified his picture "Three's Company" into 2 different versions.

Original:

aaa.jpg

First try: Changed the background to Seattle cityscape. This is just a simple trick in cut and paste. However, the boder treatment is quite troublesome.

aab.jpg

Second try: This is my interpretation of what rty was trying to achieve in his post in the "Critique" forum. Extensive use of layers, feathering, cut and paste.....etc. This was much harder than I initially thought it would be.

aac.jpg

Please give me your comments on the PS work.

Thanks!

Roy

Brave Roy! You definitely deserve a standing ovation! :gbounce:

Anyone who would like to play with the PS retouching, please feel free to use this picture of mine and post it here afterward.

Thank you for all your compliments!

Now that I have figured out how to make the borders look more natural, there's no stopping me!

Here are some more for your viewing pleasure:

Wouldn't you love to have views like these in your backyard?

>>>Picture deleted

>>>Picture deleted

>>>Picture deleted

Note: The pictures were deleted on 6 Jun as I do not own the rights to the backgrounds used.

Bravo! Bravo! *thundering claps*

What a creative beautiful work of art with such an exquisite surrealistic touch!

:gbounce: :gbounce: :gbounce:

Go, Roy, go! More, more, more!

Originally posted by rty
Bravo! Bravo! *thundering claps*

What a creative beautiful work of art with such an exquisite surrealistic touch!

:gbounce: :gbounce: :gbounce:

Go, Roy, go! More, more, more!

Thank you!

I have to clarify that I did not create the backgrounds myself.

Will try some other effects later.

Originally posted by roygoh

Thank you!

I have to clarify that I did not create the backgrounds myself.

Will try some other effects later.

roygoh, wonderful work on the PS. More please.

rty, it is your picture that caught roy's eyes. You deserve equal credit too!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Erm, not meaning to be a damp squid, but remember that while everyone has rty's permission to modify his picture, you also technically need to have the permission of all the authors of any work you use. That includes backgrounds, other elements, etc.

Originally posted by Jed
Erm, not meaning to be a damp squid, but remember that while everyone has rty's permission to modify his picture, you also technically need to have the permission of all the authors of any work you use. That includes backgrounds, other elements, etc.

Jed,

Thanks for the slap on the back on my hand. Though the pictures are free for non-commercial use, I believe I do not have the right to modify them. That's why I have removed them.

The moral of the story: Don't get too carried away!

- Roy

To make up for the deleted pictures, here are some more. All the backgrounds are my own work this time.

The Luxor Hotel, Las Vegas:
aag.jpg

Alcatraz, San Francisco:
aah.jpg

The Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas:
aai.jpg

Enjoy!

Roy,

This lot is every bit as good! :thumbsup:

I wasn't trying to slap you on the hand or anything, it's just that I took note that you took care to point out that you had rty's permission, so I just thought I'd make sure you knew the position. Using pics for non-commercial reasons is not legal, it is copyright infringement. But the difference here is that you will not be sued because you are not be making $$$ from the infringement and hence they cannot sue you for $$$ you are not making. But from the morality front it's still an infringement.

Here's a final one that I will present:

Moon: Taken from my house in Seattle using my DIY telescope and CP995.
aaj.jpg

Originally posted by Jed
Roy,

This lot is every bit as good! :thumbsup:

I wasn't trying to slap you on the hand or anything, it's just that I took note that you took care to point out that you had rty's permission, so I just thought I'd make sure you knew the position. Using pics for non-commercial reasons is not legal, it is copyright infringement. But the difference here is that you will not be sued because you are not be making $$$ from the infringement and hence they cannot sue you for $$$ you are not making. But from the morality front it's still an infringement.

Thanks Jed. From our past discussions on copyright, I am aware that the chances of getting sued are very slim for what I have done. I deleted them anyway because the owners of the backgrounds can still come to ClupSNAP and demand that the pictures be deleted, right? I am especially concerned about the one with the DeathStar as Lucas Arts owns not that picture, but the rights to all Staw Wars related characters and objects.

I really appreciate your reminder, as well as your compliments.;)

You're TOO GOOD!!!! haha
I believe the fans out there will wanna know how u do it exactly!
Why not start a page on " HOW TO CHANGE BACKGROUND?"

Teach us all the exact way you did it!

Cool!

Thank you for all your compliments!

OK...I will try to write about the steps to change the background using PS. They are quite a lot of steps, and I did not really do it systematically, so very difficult to describe it here. Let me go through the process again, and record the picture at the various stages so that you can have a better idea of how this is done.

Cannot promise on when I can do that. Hopefully I can do something over the weekend.

In the mean time, just for fun, here's another one:

aak.jpg

Girl on left, "Wah, finally finished carving these gigantic pumpkins!"
Girl in middle, "Yeah man! It took the 3 of us more than a day to do that!"
Guy on right, "I wonder how we can finish eating all these pumpkins before they start to rot?"

Actually, this kind of stuff is fairly well documented in any half-decent book on digital imaging. A trip down to the library or a quick spiff around the internet would save Roy having to write a chapter or two.

Originally posted by siron
You're TOO GOOD!!!! haha
I believe the fans out there will wanna know how u do it exactly!
Why not start a page on " HOW TO CHANGE BACKGROUND?"

Teach us all the exact way you did it!

Cool!

The steps actually are simple with PS. Just choose a suitable picture for the background and make it identical in size with the foreground picture (a guy and two girls). After resizing, copy the foreground and paste it over to the background picture (Select All - Edit - Copy - Paste). Then use the Eraser tool to reveal the background selectively. Playing with the eraser tool is the most delicate part. It takes skills and patience.

Additionally you need to adjust the color, contrast, brightness, etc, of the foreground to match the background. Depending on the background picture, you might have to use other tools to paint shadows to create a more photo realistic effect.

Roy, the Luxor hotel one has a slight mismatch of color between the foreground and the background. The foreground is a bit greenish while the background is a bit blueish.

For the Halloween pumpkins, the casted shadows are not sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.