Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
hongsien said:
I just read this and makes me feel sad, those americans at the Superdome deserve better than this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/2...vMUJXf8B2YD;_ylu=X3oDMTA4MzQ0N2p2BHNlYwMxNzA0

HS

Would be very careful about over-interpreting that article, obviously written with an agenda. Very easy to quote out of context, and if she did chuckle a little during the visit, so what? Not to say the Bushes are angels, but this an article in this form, mixing fact and opinion, has little credibility IMO.

dkw said:
Would be very careful about over-interpreting that article, obviously written with an agenda. Very easy to quote out of context, and if she did chuckle a little during the visit, so what? Not to say the Bushes are angels, but this an article in this form, mixing fact and opinion, has little credibility IMO.
"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them,"

How do you interpret this?It wasn't the rest of the article that strucked me, it was the word 'anyway'.........and the context is clear....

HS

hongsien said:
"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them,"

How do you interpret this?It wasn't the rest of the article that strucked me, it was the word 'anyway'.........and the context is clear....

HS
Don't get me wrong, I think the Bush administration has messed up big time with this disaster. Before I pass judgement on any such quotes, I usually like to do 2 things. 1) Check the reliability of the source and if they have an agenda. As you must be aware, the newspaper publishing this 'The Nation' has a strong unashamed liberal slant. They are obviously going into this with an eye to a hatchet job. Before you swallow their article in its entirety, I urge you to visit their website (http://www.thenation.com/) and peruse the rest of their articles. You might have a good laugh. 2) I would generally prefer to see the whole transcript in case it had been quoted out of context. If she had indeed be so callous, I'm sure some of the more mainstream news would have picked up on it, and she would be entirely deserving of whatever criticism she gets.

Cheers.

Edit: I would add that it is too easy to pass judgement on people based on a single quote. One needs to be circumspect about doing that, particularly if one does not know much about that person. In this case, the article is asking the reader to make a value judgement on GWB based on a single quote by his mother! Pretty far-fetched don't you think?

dkw said:
Don't get me wrong, I think the Bush administration has messed up big time with this disaster. Before I pass judgement on any such quotes, I usually like to do 2 things. 1) Check the reliability of the source and if they have an agenda. As you must be aware, the newspaper publishing this 'The Nation' has a strong unashamed liberal slant. They are obviously going into this with an eye to a hatchet job. Before you swallow their article in its entirety, I urge you to visit their website (http://www.thenation.com/) and peruse the rest of their articles. You might have a good laugh. 2) I would generally prefer to see the whole transcript in case it had been quoted out of context. If she had indeed be so callous, I'm sure some of the more mainstream news would have picked up on it, and she would be entirely deserving of whatever criticism she gets.

Cheers.

Edit: I would add that it is too easy to pass judgement on people based on a single quote. One needs to be circumspect about doing that, particularly if one does not know much about that person. In this case, the article is asking the reader to make a value judgement on GWB based on a single quote by his mother! Pretty far-fetched don't you think?
Yes, that maybe true, but I was pointing to the sentence spoken by his mother......not about the 'interpolation' done by the paper. I never trust ANY newspaper, everyone has an agenda...........:)

HS

hongsien said:
Yes, that maybe true, but I was pointing to the sentence spoken by his mother......not about the 'interpolation' done by the paper. I never trust ANY newspaper, everyone has an agenda...........:)

HS

Remember the radio advertisement... listen to only what you want to hear... Political publicist job is to either make someone look good or make someone else look bad. This could have been taken out of context so I would give it a benefit of a doubt... for now.

hongsien said:
Well, if CNN is not good enough:

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/katrina.presidents.ap/

it says alot about the person.......

HS
The problem is that we did not hear the rest of her comments. Everything can be quoted out of context. CNN is a commercial entity, will do anything to increase its viewership.

Back to the issue at hand, the relocated refugees (for lack of any better words) in Houston is doing as well as it could be, under the given circumstance. Barbara Bush commented it on that, and I believe it was taken out of context.

And of course, those who do not like the Bush, flocked to it like moth to fire. Personally, I did not vote for jr.

Deadpoet said:
The problem is that we did not hear the rest of her comments. Everything can be quoted out of context. CNN is a commercial entity, will do anything to increase its viewership.

Back to the issue at hand, the relocated refugees (for lack of any better words) in Houston is doing as well as it could be, under the given circumstance. Barbara Bush commented it on that, and I believe it was taken out of context.

And of course, those who do not like the Bush, flocked to it like moth to fire. Personally, I did not vote for jr.
All newspapers will do that...........the major US newspapers are owned by 5 companies, so there goes your impartiality. When I was in the US I was listening to a radio programme in which they said that many journalists just couldn't write all that they wanted, cause the editor will surely cut it out, eventhough it was the truth......or some knew it won't be published and just didn't write about it.

It is these kind of news that doesn't reach most people, the programme was on a small non-profit channel, I can't remember the name (I was trying to find a good channel and stumbled upon it).

I don't know what else Barbara said during that radio programme, from which the sentence was quoted from.............so let be it. But I don't think CNN would play with their reputation by quoting here 'out of context'...........the context was there in that sentence I think.

Hong Sien

Hi HS,
not to belabor the point, but you would have noticed that CNN didn't give her the rough ride that the other paper did, no or little criticism and I guess that is a reflection that CNN is giving her the benefit of doubt. I do not doubt that she had made that statement, but the CNN article itself does not cast any more light than the previous one as to what context it was made.

Even so, I think it is not fair to judge the values of a person based on single statement. I'm sure all of us have made dumb comments in the past which were out of character and I'm sure none of us would wish to have those statements then used to cast aspersions on our children's characters, right? Heck, I've said much dumber things under the stress of an oral exam, let alone giving an opinion on a human disaster. Not at all trying to defend the Bush debacle in handling this, but fair is fair and I think B.Bush should not be put on the rack for this.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.