Barang Barang: The Travel Photographer's Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysilentkaopei

Mar 18, 2008
Hougang, Singapore
Hi guys,
Thought it'd be good to start a thread to discuss camera bags.
To start with maybe we can intro our bags, and what they carry/can carry.
I don't have a camera yet (i know i've been talking bout buying one since 2 months ago...).
I'm intending to get one that can hold body with lens, 2 more lenses and a laptop... I heard the lowepro Toploader Zoom (TLZ) AW is good... good?

If u want to put ur cam and laptop......

Crumpler Sinking Barge.

i use a Lowepro CompuDaypack for laptop + cam + other barang barang when i travel.

otherwise, i'll sling a lens case on my belt, which can hold an additional lens, lens pen, spare memory card and batt.

the only problem i have not solved is how to carry my tripod ard without a bag. hehe..
any suggestions?

ed

i use a Lowepro CompuDaypack for laptop + cam + other barang barang when i travel.

otherwise, i'll sling a lens case on my belt, which can hold an additional lens, lens pen, spare memory card and batt.

the only problem i have not solved is how to carry my tripod ard without a bag. hehe..
any suggestions?

ed

I DIY additional latches to fasten my tripod on my slingshot. I guess you can try something similar with your CompuDaypack

I'm intending to get one that can hold body with lens, 2 more lenses and a laptop... I heard the lowepro Toploader Zoom (TLZ) AW is good... good?

The TLZ can only hold your camera with one lens attached.

Lowepro FastPack 250.

Fits my 15" laptop, E-510, FL36, 40-150, chargers, batteries and assorted other stuff. Not recommended to carry ALL of them when you're walking around but its a great "everything in one bag" solution when you take it on board flights.

Tenba P859C metro pack.

Fits any laptop up to 15inchs Wide. Holds 2 bodies with grip, 2 lenses, 2 flash guns, with alot of spare space for stuff like hoods, card wallets, spare batts, blowers, lenspens.

but i think they stopped making the metro packs already.

I was using the Six Million Dollar Crumpler bag..
But I switched to the LowePro Flipside 200. I was glad I made the switch.
It fits my D60 with my Nikon 18-200 attached to it.
It still has 3 more slots, which will be sufficient for another lens and a flash.
At least my shoulder doesn't hurt like how it did when I was using the sling back. :thumbsup:

Owned Lowepro CompuTrekker AW and Stealth Reporter D650AW. But sold them for the following reasons.

1) CompuTrekker AW -- Cannot fit my 15.4" lappie cos my lappie design is more on the wide side. Best to bring your lappie down to try personally as Lowepro stated "Most 15.4"" and you don't want your lappie to be the "Some". Sold the bag after 2 weeks.

2) SR D650AW -- A solid bag for putting a lot of stuffs. However, the weight on the shoulder is a killer. Lappie plus the bag is heavy enough. Not to mention camera and lenses.
Sold it as well.

So currently, i use SR D400 AW for walkabouts and most of my shootings. And got a Vertex 200 for business trip and travelling. And ya, i use a 14.1" lappie now from company. Really ironic huh..:sweat:

And if i don't need to bring laptop for travelling, i will seriously consider the Flipside 300. :)

I'm using Lowepro Flipside 300

It holds my D80, MB-D80, SB-600, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Lensbabies 2.0 and some other smaller accessories. :thumbsup:

The opening is behind, thus no fear of tools being pick-pocket.

I DIY additional latches to fasten my tripod on my slingshot. I guess you can try something similar with your CompuDaypack

Bro, you need a Vertex 300. Hehehe.

BBB!:devil:

I am watching you. :bigeyes:

;p

It also depends on how long you intend to keep the equipment carried on you.

Anything more than 1 hour stretches on a sling bag can be quite painful or the very least very uncomfortable. I would recommend a good backpack with a waist/hip support strap.

Not so convenient to change lenses and accessories no doubt, but it takes out a lot of the aches and pain of walking around with all that equipment. I use the LowePro Primus Aw, find it good enough for 4-5 hour walks. :thumbsup:

Too many camera bags. :bsmilie:

Samuel from John 3:16 said once, and I find this to be very true: "it's strange how you can have so many camera bags, but only one camera".

I own a Domke J-1 for the times I want to carry almost everything I have (and then some) without resorting to the next bag that I have. In its default configuration, this fits my 1D, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 580EX Speedlite, 35 f/2, a water bottle and umbrella, and this set up still has room to spare.

I also own a Think Tank Airport Antidote. This is the massive bag for excess amounts of gear. The most I've fitted into it is a 30D with grip, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, 50 f/1.8 II, 35 f/2, 70-200 f/2.8 IS, 2x 580EX Speedlites, laptop charger, external portable hard drive, and my 15" laptop.

For times when I want to carry less out, there is the Crumpler Six Million Dollar Home. This is by no means a small bag, but it is a great bag that does not scream "I AM A CAMERA BAG!" Normally, I carry this bag out only with minimal gear. The 35 f/2 is mounted on the 1D, and sometimes the 24-70 f/2.8 and/or 580EX Speedlite comes along. The rest of the space is filled with a water bottle and an umbrella most of the time. However, see this thread for how I managed to fit a 1D, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, and a 580EX Speedlite into the same bag.

The only thing that I hate about all these bags is that they have no "frame" in the back. ie. the bag rests on your back. I have several day packs (some from Zinc) that have a concave metal frame to keep the bag off your back and let air through between the bag and you. Similar to this picture:

aircomfort.jpg

I have had no luck at all finding a camera bag like this, so I generally resort to having a couple of individual bags/lens cases to put my gear in and then stack them in my pack...If, however, there were an actual camera bag like this then that would be awesome! Anyone got one?

hmm... i own a humble little SlingShot 200AW :bsmilie:

Carries my D50, 50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm kit , 55-200mm VR or 70-300mm G
with space for small waterbottle/extra batts/extra cards/notebook

going buy a sliplock lens pouch to attach to it...to carry my Sigma 150mm macro that i hope to own soon :think:

However, like a few others have commented: the Slingshot 200AW/ 100AW is a great camera bag for amateurs like me. However, it a solely a camera bag so don't expect it to extra anything else :sweat:

laptops and other barang barang? no space :cry:

Bro, you need a Vertex 300. Hehehe.

BBB!:devil:

I am watching you. :bigeyes:

;p

haha nice try. i already got someone advising me to change
my lowepro to think tank but left ear in right ear out

I got a Slingshot 200AW, awfully versatile, can fit watever i need for traveling, and enough space for my eee pc too! As mentioned I diy a latch to hold my tripod as well.

I have an Offtrail so that I can change my more commonly used lenses such as the 50mm1.4 and the 12-24mm on the go, and got an additional pouch on it to hold my OTG harddisk. My T/S lenses can wait in the slingshot

My Reporter .. I do not use it too often nowadays. One of those I think I need it then realize i do not like the weight of it slung on my shoulder for a full day.

My Minitrekker ..hardly .. maybe the next time i go to the zoo or bird park it can house my longer lenses with abit of squeeze.

Ryan

i happen to be one of those who prefers not to bring a laptop on travel. it is certainly very convenient especially in the places which offer free wifi, think europe and almost every macdonald's in most developed cities.. but the weight just doesn't justify it. it's not as if i'm going to be processing photographs as well.

after doing quite a bit of travel photography i am thinking of eventually getting a 18-250. there have been many times when i wish i had a longer perspective, but the thought of carrying more lenses than what i am carrying around - usually just my k100d with a sigma 10-20, batteries and assorted filters and a photodevice for backup along with water and various travel documents and cash.. and walking around the way i have been doing.. believe me, when you are in a city where transport costs are high and almost everything is walkable you will wish you had brought less.

as for tripod, depends on the flight you are on. if you are on budget airlines and your budget is indeed constrained then tripod is unfortunately not an option if you do not want to check anything in.

i have been using the crumpler most basic messenger bag (is it western lawn) together with the padding from lowepro compudaypak (used to ferry laptop plus camera between home and ldn) for most trips, recently switched to billingham hadley pro.. both are great. backpacks are definitely preferable for extended journeys but accessibility is an issue that i do not like. admittedly there are options these days where you do not have to take the backpack off and plant it on the ground to access your camera, but they tend to be blocky and attract attention.

Still using my trusty old SR500AW. I'll just tank up on the memory and leave the laptop at home.

For those of you who want to bring everything including the kitchen sink, don't be surprised if you use less than what you actually reckoned you need.

i happen to be one of those who prefers not to bring a laptop on travel.

backpacks are definitely preferable for extended journeys but accessibility is an issue that i do not like. admittedly there are options these days where you do not have to take the backpack off and plant it on the ground to access your camera, but they tend to be blocky and attract attention.

Yup, agree on this 2 parts~ Given a choice, i bring my SR D400AW can liao~:)

And oh ya, if you are using backpack under the hot sun, be prepared for the heat on your back.

My Reporter .. I do not use it too often nowadays. One of those I think I need it then realize i do not like the weight of it slung on my shoulder for a full day.

Hehe, can cross sling ma. ;p

For those of you who want to bring everything including the kitchen sink, don't be surprised if you use less than what you actually reckoned you need.

Yup, i tried to bring only 1 lens when i go for walkabout. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.