"bao-ka-liao" camera bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

whachoo

Deregistered
Jul 31, 2006
Hougang
www.flickr.com
Just wondering (since I'm seeing alot of threads on bags), is there such a bag that can hold my equipment, laptop and a few other things? It will be useful for when say you want to shoot but you need to go to school/work as well. And something that will come extremely useful when going overseas because it minimize the amount of bags u carry. :bigeyes:

Let's say, a 350d with battery grip, a 17-40mm, a 50mm, and a flash. I also have a digital compact. The laptop is 15".

Other things to carry like maybe a file or something, travel books, your Sunday afternoon's fiction book, your FHMs, your water bottle, your chargers and cables.

Not considering a backpack because 1) it doesn't give quick access to the camera and 2) on travels, you are already carrying a 60litres backpack so doesn't make sense, unless u carry in front, but then again, how to shoot like that? :think:

Best is have separate compartments for the laptop and the camera and lenses.

It will weigh a hell lot if filled completely, but it's a nice option to have, to avoid carrying 2 multiple bags.:sweat:

If it's too much to ask for, I will be sad. :cry:

Just wondering (since I'm seeing alot of threads on bags), is there such a bag that can hold my equipment, laptop and a few other things? It will be useful for when say you want to shoot but you need to go to school/work as well. And something that will come extremely useful when going overseas because it minimize the amount of bags u carry. :bigeyes:

Let's say, a 350d with battery grip, a 17-40mm, a 50mm, and a flash. I also have a digital compact. The laptop is 15".

Other things to carry like maybe a file or something, travel books, your Sunday afternoon's fiction book, your FHMs, your water bottle, your chargers and cables.

Not considering a backpack because 1) it doesn't give quick access to the camera and 2) on travels, you are already carrying a 60litres backpack so doesn't make sense, unless u carry in front, but then again, how to shoot like that? :think:

It will weigh a hell lot if filled completely, but it's a nice option to have, to avoid carrying 2 multiple bags.:sweat:

get realistic, if it's a sling bag, one side of you will die under the weight, or the strap will just snap.

get a backpack for your barang barang and a small slingbag for your camera+1 lens

Lowepro has a whole line like that (camera plus laptop plus others). Check it on their site.

only camera backpacks can do that. lowepro has a range. if a backpack is not your preference, then your shoulder and neck will strain under the weight of the camera sling bag.
alternatively, hire a porter to carry your bag. :bsmilie:

Try out the Lowepro CompuTrekker. It has separate compartments for your laptop and camera equipment. If you plan to put in clothes, you can still probably do so but I recommend you wrap them up in plastic so that their fibre does not stick to the bag (and your equipment). By the way, you should try it out first as it may feel bulky if you are going to use it everyday (e.g. as a school bag).

If you managed to find one of these bag, do not put water bottle inside. Once if it leak, all the equipments damaged together.:sweat:

If you managed to find one of these bag, do not put water bottle inside. Once if it leak, all the equipments damaged together.:sweat:

The Lowepro series has an insulated, waterproof pocket for water bottles. :)

i wouldn't personally recommand lowepro CompuTrekker cos of the weight. it's really freaking hell alot of stress on your shoulder with that much weight. i'm also looking for what you need. and i would actulla recommand tamrac adventure 5549. it's almost the same design as computrekker but must better in a way that it has better shoulder paddings and space to put some mags and personal items.

National Geographic NG5162 :thumbsup:
takes my 14.1in Ibook + a 1DMKII and 3 lenses and a flash. Also has a seperate compartment for barang barang and 2 compartments for waterbottles. Has a special hidden compartment for passport and valuables too, so it's really built for travel.

It's really ergonomically designed and looks great too. You can pick it up at Cathay for 190.

I've gotten a Lowepro AW Nova 5, and while it fits all my gear(Camera body + 6 lenses/spare batteries/blower&brush/SD cards/Ballhead attachment) it's a hassle to lug around everything on days when I know I'll just need 1 or maybe 2 lenses.

National Geographic NG5162 :thumbsup:
takes my 14.1in Ibook + a 1DMKII and 3 lenses and a flash. Also has a seperate compartment for barang barang and 2 compartments for waterbottles. Has a special hidden compartment for passport and valuables too, so it's really built for travel.

It's really ergonomically designed and looks great too. You can pick it up at Cathay for 190.

i second this choice...i took my to sepang to see racing...haha...just carry one bag all the way...

I've gotten a Lowepro AW Nova 5, and while it fits all my gear(Camera body + 6 lenses/spare batteries/blower&brush/SD cards/Ballhead attachment) it's a hassle to lug around everything on days when I know I'll just need 1 or maybe 2 lenses.

Buy a few different sizes, they come in handy on light days. The smaller ones like my favourite off trail 2 are uber cheap too.

thanks for the quick responses..

cant agree more that diff bags for diff needs..the tamrac adventure 5549 is nice..does CP carries it? need to check it out..the lowepro stealth reporter D550AW looks pretty neat too..separate compartment for laptop too..any users care to justify whether it's good, meaning wont break my shoulder or the strap will snap :bsmilie:

not really looking for a laptop+camera bag lah..just that sometimes if u can put a few magazines (for a short trip) or folder or file (for work/school) in the separate compartment (meant for laptop), then it will be a more general-purpose bag that you can bring for work/school..

and for long trips, the national geographic indeed looks good and handy..but think my needs lie more in bringing my camera everywhere i go (good habit to have!), so cant expect me to bring the big backpack to my workplace right? ;)

currently, has always been dumping my camera into my messenger bag (got laptop+files+pencil case+puncher)..but i think it's time to stop tekan-ing my camera..hahaha..

Hmz... for backpack, perhaps you can consider Tamrac series. They have bags which can rest the weight on your waist. Thus, reducing the effective weights.

TS,

however we try, most will end up with at least 2 to 3 bags. i started with a lowepro 180 rezo and swore that would be all i'd ever need, but that quickly became too small, so i added a commercial aw, and at the same time a harness with loads of pouches for bird shoots, hikes and walkabouts where a large camera bag would have made it all too bulky for my safety and comfort to navigate.

the lowepro computrekker is a great bag for camera equipment and clothes (in plastic bags to avoid loose fabric fibres and reduce moisture), not stressful on the shoulders, if you have/ use the waistbelt, it distributes the weight very well and probably helps you trim down tummy fat too haha...

for my everyday use (yes, i take my camera to work everyday and weekend outings too) i use a toploader with added on pouches. its become a handbag that rivals my wife's! haha!

basically there are different bags for different occasions so if you have a few, you'll have a good range to choose from for the job/ trip.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.