Bangkok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on where you stay, Bangkok is hugh, with 10million population, you would have too many things to shoot....
Traditional photographing scenes are the Grand Palace, Sleeping Budda, Jade Budda, Golden Budda, all kinds of temples, Riverside market, downtown skyline, traffic jam, people jam, cute policeman, street beggar, etc.
Shopping wise, if you need air-con, then try MahBoonKong mall, if you can live without air-con, can try the weekend market at Chatujaik (or something like that, forgot the spelling, there is MRT station nearby now.)
Dining wise, get out of the hotel areas, go north to eat with the locals, mind you, some authentic Thai restaurants have no chairs, you sit on the mat and eat.

Eat at Cabbages and Condoms.

And head to Panthip Plaza for 'cheap' versions of software and DVDs etc...Also will bombarde you with offers of 'sexy movie?'. Not sure if they wanted me to buy or star in one!!

Phildate said:
Eat at Cabbages and Condoms.

Heh heh...been there, done that! They'll give you a souvenier after the meal right. wink!

I think the Wat Arun Temple in Bangkok and the Floating Market is a good place to shoot. Grand Palace is a must, but got dress code.

Shopping wise its MBK for comfortable shopping. Night markets at Pratunam, Silom, Khao San etc. And dont miss the Chatucak Weekend market, alot of great stuff there, from clothes to pets to gardening to food etc. Its huge too, and too many shops,didnt finish walking the entire place in one weekend. :thumbsup:

Dine. This I am not too sure. I eat all the roadside stuff.

Chinatown area got lots of roadside stalls at nite selling very nice and reasonably priced seafood.

May I suggest to go to Ayuthaya, the ancient Siam capital. Nice place to shoot. Booked a day tour and they will bring you to some temple, King's summer palace along the way too. For me, I like to eat at road side stall, but I always choose cooked food. Have fun.

Khao san road got lots of budget travel agency offering cheaper tickets to ayuthaya,it is a very interesting place,like a cowboy town.alot of backpackers inn there.
u should go there and have a look.
get a free city map when u arrive at the bangkok airport.

regarding ayuthaya or ayuthiya whatever...check if the bird flu thing is under control and get your flu jab a week b4 u go there...cos if you forget, the tamiflu medicine is bloody expensive!!!!

Just got back from 5days in BKK.
Literally shop till I drop..cheap and extensive choices.
Shopping at MBK n Chatuchak Weekend Market is a must.
Pratunam area is also a recommended shopping area.
For a really good choice in clothing..must not miss Baiyoke Complex and Indra Shopping Cte....walking distance from Pratunam Centre.
These centres offer wholesale rates. :thumbsup:
Most Centres n shopping areas are easily acessible by the Skytrain(BTS).
As for photography....shoot as u shop.
Food..be adventurous..eat at small shops and sidestalls..be surprised at the variety of taste available...good too. ;p
Have a good trip.

Wow...u guys are awesome! Thanks for all the tips & suggestions! :)

I'm staying at Baiyoke Sky Hotel, pretty near to MBK & Pratunam area...already included these in my itinerary.

Some questions :
1. Is photography allowed in the temples?
2. I intend to shoot lots of street scenes (esp people!). Are Thais skeptical/resistent towards photographers? Later end up kenna chased away very malu!
3. Where can I go to shoot the skyline of Bangkok?
4. How is the bird flu situation there? Is it really bad?

Photography is not prohibited in temples. However, there may be certain religious sections or figures of the temples where no photo-taking is allowed.

The Thais are very frenly. Just make sure that you ask their permission before taking their pics. They will gladly oblige.

I was in BKK last Nov. Took some shots there. Feel free to check them out on my online gallery. :)

Have a good trip!

The stalls by the side of the road sell the best stuff if you stomach can take it. There's a lady selling Tom Yum Kroong soup near Pantip Plaza ... about 50 metres from Grand Diamond Apartments near a shop selling suits. Her prices are almost the same as the restaurants, but it's sure darn good.

In BKK, you have to try the Sukiyaki. I would recommend DaiDomon (120 baht, eat all your can, drink all the coke you can, and they serve you! ... that was 2 years back, but I doubt it has changed much). You can find DaiDoMon at MBK or Siam Center.

You must also try Oyishi (something like that) at the ground level of MBK. Japanese Thai mixed cuisines. Their gyoza and octopus balls are delish!
For true Jap food, go to Fuji. Top floor MBK or mid level Siam Center. Can't beat that.

For Thai cuisines, you have to go to S&P at Siam Center or Pantip Plaza.

Go to Futurepark Rangsit. They are starting to promote the shopping centre to tourists. It's north of the airport and its frequented by locals, can't beat the prices. It's about the size of Suntec City or bigger.

Have fun!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.