Bangkok! What to Buy? Buy? Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zplus

Mar 16, 2002
Some equitorial, tropical isle
Hi all!
Going off to bangkok soon for a short trip! I heard stuff there is really cheap.... so what and where can I buy!?

Btw, any good camera shops to reccommand too?
:)

T shirts. Aynwhere in Bangkok you will find T shirts, they also sell pants, pyjamas, dresses, etc etc.
If you want to be disorientated, go to Chatuchat weekend market.
If you want air-con comfort, go to MahBoonKon Shopping Centre or nearby Siam Square, Siam Discovery Centre etc.
And in Bangkok, taking taxi is cheaper (but slower) than taking MRT. My last trip most taxi drivers used meter so no need to bargain.
Aviod the famous tuktuk, I heard my friends were charged almost S$30 for a ride which normally cost $5. (My friends cannot speak Thai)

u can visit Photo Lite ( canx remember the name) at Buang Boon Kong.. 1st level.. i think near the donut shop... they do sells camera too... in fact their 1D Mark 2 is cheaper by 500 bucks as compared to singapore. HAA!

visit those weekend mkts... like Chatuchat.. Wah lau.. 1 day not enuff ah...

If u r bringing yr gf.. bring them to siam sq for pedicure and manicure.. real cheap sia..

if u r buying thai silk... u can visit jim thompson.. their workmanship very steady too..

got 1 rd side stall at 19 patuwan.. wah liew.. the wan tan mee tok KONG sia.. Ive been eating their wantan mee for 10 over yrs.. they still sells pig trotters.. kaoz.. heaven too....

LOL

if u wan to go for seafood or sharkfin, birdnest, go to Their Chinatown... losta losta food to eat... But

generally if u r a branded person... u can go to Oriental...

Cannot speak thai nevermind.... must know how to show fingers can liao... thats how i bargain with those non-english pple there.... the tutu prices depends on season also.... tourism season... usually price are high.... off-peak season usually can bargain alot more... but 1 thing for sure... dun like the price can just walk off.... there are many many other shops/transport to choose....lol

is it safe in Bangkok? Anything need to be aware of? Thinking of visiting bangkok too. Is it a good place to go with wife? I don't go to temples so that doesn't attract me.

For sight seeing, there always the Grand Palace, the buddist temples (many), the snake farm, the river cruise, the safari zoo, the Ayuttayya ruins, etc.
For shopping, there are hundreds of shopping malls.
Bangkok is generally safe, every where and every hours there are always ppl around, you are hardly alone.
Places to avoid:
- go-go bars
- railway train stations
- any jewellery shops that taxi drivers recommend
- any silk shops that taxi drivers recomment (in fact any place taxi drivers recommend)

Wow! :)

Thanks Astin for the tips! Din know taxis can actually be cheaper than the MRTs. Haha! YEah probably will get lots of tshirts. Heh. Oh yeah, may I know why railway train stations are considered not safe? Also are the MRTs safe?

RuthBaby, cool ! think i will see if there is anything that is a good buy over there. Ok will try to find the wan tan store, too. Heard that's lots of good and cheap food there..... hehe! Looks like you know the place quite well!

kegler, yups! U think I will be showing my fingers most of the time. haha!

Kho King, that was my concern too.. But generally I think its quite safe from what I hear.
:D

When are you going? I am going too leaving on Wed. I go there very frequently. MBK got a camera shop. Canon sells cheap there, but not Nikon.

Zplus said:
Wow! :)

Thanks Astin for the tips! Din know taxis can actually be cheaper than the MRTs. Haha! YEah probably will get lots of tshirts. Heh. Oh yeah, may I know why railway train stations are considered not safe? Also are the MRTs safe?
Ppl from other provinces like to come to Bangkok, most arrive at the Railway station. So these typcial stuffs will happen there:
- pickpockets
- fights among different group of ppl
- beggings
- con artists

Zplus, hope you have a pleasant trip! Happy shopping!

Btw, if I were to go there with my wife, is it recommended to buy air ticket and fly there and then do our own shopping/visiting or better to go with a tour? If go by ourselves, how? Should I get a guidebook or map?

Bangkok is ok for free and easy diy trip. You need a guidebook and a map. You can go around by taxi, very cheap and plenty available on streets.

hi Astin, how about accomodation? Prefer to stay in a good/clean hotel but not too expensive one...say around S$50 and below? Possible? Any recommendation or guideline on how to find a good hotel? Definitely not recommended by Taxi, right?

ok lah
not too bad!
i used to visit my god granny quite often.. can speak bit thai...
and got some investment there too..

ahah!
wantan mee MUST eat ah
losta singaporeans there for the noodles too...

Kho King said:
hi Astin, how about accomodation? Prefer to stay in a good/clean hotel but not too expensive one...say around S$50 and below? Possible? Any recommendation or guideline on how to find a good hotel? Definitely not recommended by Taxi, right?
if u dun mind guest house. u can try 4 season guest hse.. its 20 bucks per nite...
though a lot of negro... but its cheap and clean lor.. nearby got cybercafe... and walk a few steps to their baiyoke stalls.. more than 200 over shops for u to shop for...

Oh yeah.. u gotta try their cuttlefish with losta thai chilli...
thai023.sized.jpg

check out this puppy we found at Chatuchak...
thai009.sized.jpg

Only 2000 thai baht.... hahaha... but i reckon it cost more to bring it over to singapore :angel:

Bar girl love at Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy and Patpong..... :devil:

Hahaha... just kidding (Sorry if i offend anyone. I am really kidding. Personally I do not condone the flesh trade)

But seriously, some of the handicraft stuff is very nice. Try to go to the parts of the city that are less visited by tourists... its cheaper there.

Wah! RuthBaby wah! Big business in bangkok ah!?? Heh!
No wonder that place is your "di pan" ..... don't mess arnd... ;)
Btw, heard there's imitation shakesfins and birdsnest at chinatown.. any tips on what to avoid? Also where is Oriental located.... I may buy some branded it its really cheap. Maybe pick up some lens too if cheap. Haha!

Astin, thanks for the headsup... din really think about that kind of danger at the train stations... will try to avoid it.

Kho King from what I read and what I have heard and of course from Astin's 1st hand experience... seems quite easy for free n easy. That's what I'm doing anyway. I shall be alone mostly and so its easier to explore the place. Meeting a friend there too but not for the whole trip.

tush, hehe! Well... i am not going for those lar! I'd rather shoot thro my lens with a hood. ;)

JackRussell, wow! Where is the camera shop located??

now's my turn to ask and follow-up.... would be going to Bangkok for a short trip to R&R ;p

any particular place to recommend for good (and genuine ;p) food, massage and spa? also, anyone knows a good and cheap tailor in Bangkok?

The rate it goes, u would see more Singaporeans than Thais in Bangkok one day.
Food, massage, spa & tailor are everywhere in Bangkok. Give the hotel bellboy a 100 baht tip and he will tell u everything he knows abt food, massage, spa & tailor.

;p that depends on how good the bellboy is lah. anyone has good experience with specific spa and massage places?

Status
Not open for further replies.