bangkok airport tax..anyone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnail

Jun 26, 2003
was told dat it's 500 baht? anyone has a more updated figure? also....we just have to pay it once upon arrival rite? departure not required?

thks in advance!

gnail said:
was told dat it's 500 baht? anyone has a more updated figure? also....we just have to pay it once upon arrival rite? departure not required?

thks in advance!

eh .... but i paid during departure and not arrivel lehz ....... and yah it is 500baht

yeah it's THB500 and you pay before departing. Have a THB500 note ready cos you have to "pay" at a machine.

When you arrive in BKK airport, you dont need to pay any arrival tax.

When you depart from BKK airport, after you check-in at the airline counter, then you walk towards the custom/security area, you will see some vending machines, you can buy your departure tax at the machine, it costs 500 Baht. There are also a few counters with people inside, they will also sell you the departure tax at 500 Baht. The departure tax looks like a ticket, in blue colour, with black wordings on.

Only cash, no credit card, so keep your 500 Baht at a safe place, otherwise you may not be able to leave Thailand.

thks for all e info guys!!

how abt taking taxi's from the airport to a hotel in the city? how much wud dat cost? starting fare is 35Baht?

Taxi very cheap also...
Took a cab from the south bus terminal to the north bus terminal... at least 12km. only cost about S$5. The cabbies dun usually cheat money... They haveto follow the metering.. it's the tuk tuks U have to be careful about...

Hah.. talkign about tuktuks, U're a horn attraction man... everywhere U go, the tuktuks will horn at U... after a while, U'll get used to it & ignore them...

if you know the rate and distance well, and bargain, tuk tuk can well be fun and save $ and time too! :)
AReality said:
Taxi very cheap also...
Took a cab from the south bus terminal to the north bus terminal... at least 12km. only cost about S$5. The cabbies dun usually cheat money... They haveto follow the metering.. it's the tuk tuks U have to be careful about...

Hah.. talkign about tuktuks, U're a horn attraction man... everywhere U go, the tuktuks will horn at U... after a while, U'll get used to it & ignore them...

gnail said:
thks for all e info guys!!

how abt taking taxi's from the airport to a hotel in the city? how much wud dat cost? starting fare is 35Baht?

Wah, I think I am writing a travel guide to Thailand very soon. So here is what you should know.

When you arrive at BKK airport, you have a few options to get from airport to town area. I will start from high end to low end:

1. INSIDE the airport arrival terminal, after you collect you luggage, get off from the custom inspection, then turn left, you should see a big sign board saying LIMOUSINE. You ask the counter girl and she will quote you a price about 500 Baht to anywhere in Bangkok downtown. It will cost more if you travel further. The fare is fair, you pay the luxury and safety. Just pay her and you are in good hands.

2. A cheaper choice (which I highly recommend) is walk outside the airport terminal, you will see a queue line up for TAXI. At the end of the queue is the taxi counter, again you ask the counter girl and tell her where you want to go, they have a fix price for each zone in Bangkok, typically is about 200-300 Baht. The counter girl will quote you a price. She will also give you a receipt and (I think) you use the receipt to pay the taxi driver directly. The price is fair, you pay for the safety, but no luxary. Don't tip the driver.

3. Even cheaper (which I dont recommend) is walk outside the airport, onto the main road, you will see some taxi driver waving the hands towards you, asking you where you want to go. You negotiate the fair with the driver, typically about 100-200 Baht. Last year, some tourists (angmo) were found murdered by these taxi drivers in the outskirt of Bangkok, take note.

4. The cheapest, take a bus, which I dont know how, hehe.

Astin : What about helicopters? I'm sure they have that at the airport rite? Hope can take that to your hotel too... fast & efficient... except a bit $$$ :D :D

AReality said:
Astin : What about helicopters? I'm sure they have that at the airport rite? Hope can take that to your hotel too... fast & efficient... except a bit $$$ :D :D

Nah, helicopter is for people who want to go to Pattaya, Pathumthani, or some other towns outside of Bangkok.

thks for all the tips Astin!! they were really useful. :)

would u happen to know any good photography/equipment deals there as well?

gnail said:
thks for all the tips Astin!! they were really useful. :)

would u happen to know any good photography/equipment deals there as well?

Why waste your time when you are supposed to enjoy your Thailand holidays and take pictures? Even Thai people come to Singapore to buy their equipment!

For your info, in Thailand, they have a VAT system, similar to our GST. The current VAT is (I think) 12-15%. And the Thail Baht is floating currency, so the exchange rate may act against you.

If you insist, you can take the Bangkok MRT to the Stadium station, then walk to a big shopping center called MBK (MahBoonKong), on the 1st floor there is a camera shop, somethine like our Alan Photo style. Many people buy/shop there, price are reasonable in Thai standard.

the name of the camera shop at the 1st level is Foto File,they have a website too www.FOTOTHAILAND.COM
prices are somewat similar to spore prices with some bargain if u look hard enuff,bargaining usually works..
there is another higher end camera shop like *cathay* on the fourth or fifth level which i find it well stocked but the price is higher than s'pore..forget the shop name liao..

You can find a lot of travel guides on the internet, one example below for information abt generic rates (hotels..etc)

You can read the "members tips" which is tips by the people who actually live in the country and they may have recommendations to good places to visit or good food.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/160d76/

Status
Not open for further replies.