Bandstand Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

agusprayudhi

Sep 25, 2008
I am a newbie in photography. Just started 2 weeks ago and bought Nikon D60 ;)
I read about HDR imaging and am really interested in trying it. So, I took some photos in RAW w/ diff exposure. But after merged to HDR using photomatix, there are a lot of ghost effect especially the leaves (even using tripod) :cry: Any suggestion on how to remove them?

2948756679_5d8ebaa540_b.jpg

The photo shows one of the benches near the bandstand. It was taken in the late evening. The camera setting:
- Single RAW (exposures created using photoshop & merged using photomatix)
- 1/8 sec at f/22
- ISO 200
- aperture priority
- focal length 22 mm

I would like to hear your c & c on the composition. I hv applied the rule of thirds by placing the bench at the intersection point. Should I remove away the people at the background? If yes, any ideas how to do it? sorry really new in photo editing too...

Apart from the composition, how about the tone mapping? is it over done? colours? any other areas that need to be improved?

Thanks.

not bad for one who only started out photography and already doing HDR.

actually, for your problem, its mostly attributed by the fact you are using 1/8sec, cos the longer your exposure, the more movement you capture, so some moving edges will be blurred.

I'm not sure if you are using f22 becos you think f22 is 'sharper' or you are using hyperfocal. most wide angle lenses have a shorter distance to infinity, so you can make use of that to create a shot which will enable everything sharp instead of going all the way f22. like your shot for eg, i reckon f16 or probably f13 would be enuff for it to be in hyperfocal if you set it properly, cos your tripod is not on really low level, hence your pavement (object nearest to you would be roughly 1m plus) then your infinity should be around 3-4meters, so effectively, you don't really need to close down that much aperture to shoot. *not sure what lenses you are using, just giving a guide*

next will be your exposure, you wanted HDR, but the image is still not dynamic enuff... you should try to take something like 2 stops difference for each pictures, minimum 3 to 5 pics and compile. its best to shoot on days where by the clouds are very contrasty.

** oh ya, i saw u write, late evening... how come the image is so bright? probably you should try to shoot shots that represents the timing instead.

to minimise ghosting u minimise the duration of the entire multi frame capture

usu u use the auto bracket and the multi frame capture features in your camera

then u use the moving object detection features in the software - photomatix's pretty good

have you tried AEB? and maybe try to keep your ISO to 100.

IIRC d40/x/d60 no bracketing.. you have to do it manually :) i've got a friend who uses d60 and his hdr is good. must shoot more !!

I am a newbie in photography. Just started 2 weeks ago and bought Nikon D60 ;)
I read about HDR imaging and am really interested in trying it. So, I took some photos in RAW w/ diff exposure. But after merged to HDR using photomatix, there are a lot of ghost effect especially the leaves (even using tripod) :cry: Any suggestion on how to remove them?

I would like to hear your c & c on the composition. I hv applied the rule of thirds by placing the bench at the intersection point. Should I remove away the people at the background? If yes, any ideas how to do it? sorry really new in photo editing too...

Apart from the composition, how about the tone mapping? is it over done? colours? any other areas that need to be improved?

Thanks.

ghosting occurs coz ur shutter speed abit to slow like others has mentioned. ur tripod may be sturdy, but the leaves are not.. they get blown by the breeze, resulting in movement.

as for the people in the background, i would prefer them not to be in the picture. removing them through post processing might be tricky, so perhaps you could just wait for them to move away before shooting.

colours are okay.. but the scene has little dynamic range to play with in my opinion. try shooting wide landscape scenes especially with lots of clouds.

HDR is fun!

It might be just me, but I think composition-wise, it might be a better idea to place the the bench on the left side of the picture as opposed to the right side. Cause, in a way, the bench is facing the right side, thus it would be more ideal if there is room on its right. ;)

composition wise is boring, not sure what is your subject in this photo

you chop left tree into half, and the branches become so distracting.

the bench is facing out of the photo, which bring viewers attention out of the photo

the trees behind are merge with the bench, so bench are kind of lost here.

and I don't see the need of shooting HDR here

btw, you can shoot from another angle to avoid the people in your b/g

not bad for one who only started out photography and already doing HDR.

actually, for your problem, its mostly attributed by the fact you are using 1/8sec, cos the longer your exposure, the more movement you capture, so some moving edges will be blurred.

I'm not sure if you are using f22 becos you think f22 is 'sharper' or you are using hyperfocal. most wide angle lenses have a shorter distance to infinity, so you can make use of that to create a shot which will enable everything sharp instead of going all the way f22. like your shot for eg, i reckon f16 or probably f13 would be enuff for it to be in hyperfocal if you set it properly, cos your tripod is not on really low level, hence your pavement (object nearest to you would be roughly 1m plus) then your infinity should be around 3-4meters, so effectively, you don't really need to close down that much aperture to shoot. *not sure what lenses you are using, just giving a guide*

next will be your exposure, you wanted HDR, but the image is still not dynamic enuff... you should try to take something like 2 stops difference for each pictures, minimum 3 to 5 pics and compile. its best to shoot on days where by the clouds are very contrasty.

** oh ya, i saw u write, late evening... how come the image is so bright? probably you should try to shoot shots that represents the timing instead.

sorry have been very busy with my work lately. thanks for ur comments :)

this is the first time i heard about hyperfocal. :embrass: What is that? can describe a bit about that? can i use hyperfocal in 18-55mm lens? btw, i was using 18-55mm lens to capture it and the timing is late afternoon, not late evening. sorry ;)

have you tried AEB? and maybe try to keep your ISO to 100.

to minimise ghosting u minimise the duration of the entire multi frame capture

usu u use the auto bracket and the multi frame capture features in your camera

then u use the moving object detection features in the software - photomatix's pretty good

Unfortunately, there is no AEB in nikon d60 :( so need to change the exposures manually..

IIRC d40/x/d60 no bracketing.. you have to do it manually :) i've got a friend who uses d60 and his hdr is good. must shoot more !!

can i have ur friend's website or link to his gallery? hope to get good tutorial & advise from expert.. :D thanks

ghosting occurs coz ur shutter speed abit to slow like others has mentioned. ur tripod may be sturdy, but the leaves are not.. they get blown by the breeze, resulting in movement.

as for the people in the background, i would prefer them not to be in the picture. removing them through post processing might be tricky, so perhaps you could just wait for them to move away before shooting.

colours are okay.. but the scene has little dynamic range to play with in my opinion. try shooting wide landscape scenes especially with lots of clouds.

HDR is fun!

It might be just me, but I think composition-wise, it might be a better idea to place the the bench on the left side of the picture as opposed to the right side. Cause, in a way, the bench is facing the right side, thus it would be more ideal if there is room on its right. ;)

composition wise is boring, not sure what is your subject in this photo

you chop left tree into half, and the branches become so distracting.

the bench is facing out of the photo, which bring viewers attention out of the photo

the trees behind are merge with the bench, so bench are kind of lost here.

and I don't see the need of shooting HDR here

btw, you can shoot from another angle to avoid the people in your b/g

yeah just realized it now >.< i should hv placed the bench on the right side. thanks for the suggestions. will try it next time.

to make the bench not merge with trees, u mean i hv to bring up my camera higher when taking pic & get closer to the bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.