Band of Brothers VCD set out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about DVDs, can anyone advice me on where to get these foreign arts films in DVD formats in Singapore? In US where I live, there only have VHS format. Thanks in advance.

1) Black Cat, White Cat
Director :- Emir Kusturica

2) Underground

3) Time of the Gypsies

4) Cinema Paradiso
Remark: I'm looking for the 1990 version instead of the 2002 version.
Director :- Giuseppe Tornatore

The Band of Brothers VCD sold locally is CENSORED. Episodes in question is 9 and 10.

This is why you wont see the DVD locally.

As for the films of Emir Kusturica, most of them contains scenes of violence, vulgarity, drug taking and sexual situations. Hence the DVDs are banned locally.

For cinema paradiso, I assume you are referring to the theaterical version (120 min) and not the director's cut (179 min). I have seen the HK R3 tin canister edition being sold at Laserflair Peninsula (the same building as Cathay Photo)

Good Luck... my fellow film bluff

Thanks for the advice.

I agreed with you. Most films by Emir Kusturica contain scenes of violence, vulgarity, drug taking and sexual situations. Even the censored versions that I saw in US are unacceptable by Singapore standards. Just wondering aloud, his films showcase the social problem in Europe, shouldn't we, as adults, be allowed to see it? Or we as Singaporeans, are always seeing the world through a tunnel? I'm a firm believer of travelling out of the country to see what a sheltered country we are living in. And with such a caring government, why are we are complaining?

Anyway, kudo to TV Central who showed the film "Black Cat, White Cat" last week on TV.

cinema paradiso:- I was at Laserflair Peninsula the other day and the salesgirl said "Dn't Know, it's all on the shelf, if have, have. If don't have, don't have". Unfortunately, I couldn't find it on the shelves. Sign.

Originally posted by sebastiansong
The Band of Brothers VCD sold locally is CENSORED. Episodes in question is 9 and 10.

This is why you wont see the DVD locally.

As for the films of Emir Kusturica, most of them contains scenes of violence, vulgarity, drug taking and sexual situations. Hence the DVDs are banned locally.

For cinema paradiso, I assume you are referring to the theaterical version (120 min) and not the director's cut (179 min). I have seen the HK R3 tin canister edition being sold at Laserflair Peninsula (the same building as Cathay Photo)

Good Luck... my fellow film bluff

I'm sure if Laserflair bought in the Cinema Paradiso, other shops shd have them as well since LAserflair is a distributor

as for censorship... You are living in Singapore... tuff

Originally posted by e_liau
Talking about DVDs, can anyone advice me on where to get these foreign arts films in DVD formats in Singapore? In US where I live, there only have VHS format. Thanks in advance.

1) Black Cat, White Cat

2) Underground

3) Time of the Gypsies

4) Cinema Paradiso
Remark: I'm looking for the 1990 version instead of the 2002 version.
Director :- Giuseppe Tornatore

Just got hold of the "Cinema Paradiso" DVDs in code1, from LaserFlair (PP). Simply a great love story and full of deep and profound 2-persons dialogues. Watch it twice over 1 week athough it's a 3-hours film. This is a "must-see" for those romantic-at-heart guys and gals.

Saw the Band of Brothers DVD set at local Costco store for US$79. Is this really good show and a good price?

Originally posted by e_liau
Thanks for the advice.

I agreed with you. Most films by Emir Kusturica contain scenes of violence, vulgarity, drug taking and sexual situations. Even the censored versions that I saw in US are unacceptable by Singapore standards. Just wondering aloud, his films showcase the social problem in Europe, shouldn't we, as adults, be allowed to see it? Or we as Singaporeans, are always seeing the world through a tunnel? I'm a firm believer of travelling out of the country to see what a sheltered country we are living in. And with such a caring government, why are we are complaining?

Anyway, kudo to TV Central who showed the film "Black Cat, White Cat" last week on TV.

cinema paradiso:- I was at Laserflair Peninsula the other day and the salesgirl said "Dn't Know, it's all on the shelf, if have, have. If don't have, don't have". Unfortunately, I couldn't find it on the shelves. Sign.

try Blue Max @ Plaza Singapura, Think I saw it there

Originally posted by roygoh
Saw the Band of Brothers DVD set at local Costco store for US$79. Is this really good show and a good price?

so many people talking about it, wattaya think ? ;)

i dunno what version they're selling at Costco, but BoB is really, really good. if you like Saving Private Ryan, you'll love this one. what's more, this is actually a true story so there's a very strong sense of realism that this actually took place and actual people went thru the ordeal of WW2... :thumbsup:

trust me, it's good. i watched it twice, volunteering to watch it again with my gf a third time. :D

OK, I am very tempted already. Plus my wife and I like war movies. So I shall get it soon.

OK, I am very tempted already. Plus my wife and I like war movies. So I shall get it soon.
try to get the one with the extra bonus features disk... got lotsa interesting snippets inside...

Originally posted by Larry
try to get the one with the extra bonus features disk... got lotsa interesting snippets inside...

Is this what you are referring to:

490703.jpg

Based on the true-life best seller by Stephen E. Ambrose, Band of Brothers tells the story of Easy Company, 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division, U.S. Army from D-Day to the fall of Nazi Germany and the surrender of Japan. Drawn from interviews with survivors of Easy Company, as well as soldiers' journals and letters, Band of Brothers chronicles the experiences of these men who knew extraordinary bravery and extraordinary fear.

The DVD boxed set features a powerful array of bonus materials including the documentary, an interactive field guide for enhanced viewing, a 20-minute "Making of Band of Brothers", the actor Ron Livingston's Video Diaries, footage from the premiere on Normandy beach, and much more!

- Rated: Not Rated

- Format: DVD, 6-disc

- Starring: Damian Lewis, Donnie Wahlberg, Ron Livingston, Matthew Settle, Rick Warden, Frank John Hughes, Scot Grimes and Neal McDonough

- Director: Phil Alden Robinson, Richard Loncraine, Mikael Salomon, David Nutter, Tom Hanks, David Leland, David Frankel, Tony To and Mark Cowen

- Genre: Television

- Release Date: November 5, 2002

- Copyright: 2001

- Running Time: 705 minutes

- DVD Features:
- Languages: English, French and Spanish

- Subtitles: Spanish

- Screen Format: Widescreen (1.78:1)

- Sound: DTS 5.1 Surround (English), Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (English) and Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround (English, French and Spanish)

Additional Features:
- Closed-captioned

- Enhanced for 16 x 9 TVs

- Documentary: We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company (80 minutes)

- Featurette: Making of Band of Brothers (30 minutes)

- Interactive Field Guide featuring timelines, maps, soldier profiles and other information to enhance the viewing experience

- Footage from the premiere on Normandy beach

- Ron Livingston's Video Diaries

- Photo gallery

- Cast to character bios

- Archived Band of Brothers website (including webisodes)

- Web-links

watched the show on HBO, find that it's pretty good (at least it is for me.) if u have a big screen and surround speakers, get it. otherwise the vcd version will do..

Status
Not open for further replies.