Band of Brothers - any1 watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
i've just watched BoB twice (borrowed the whole series of dvds from a fren) and my gawd, it is FANTASTIC!!! it is by far the best and most well produced drama series i have ever seen, especially for the WW2 buffs.

ok ok i know i'm slow, blame it on the lack of SCV TV in my house, but man, i think i would die if i had to wait each week to watch each episode. my fave episode is Part 5, the one directed by Tom Hanks. dam good man...

anyone else watched the whole thing? any comments?

Yah, watch on HBO, I got the DVDs as well, yes damn good.
I like saving private Ryan, this is an extension of that..

I like the color .... sets the mood.. imagine the cross bleach the film.. this is what I call creative..

This Sobel character reminds me of an officer in my camp. he was also transfer out due to the unhappiness of the men.

I watch saving private Ryan many times, this I gonna watch again when I have the time.

Originally posted by Larry
i've just watched BoB twice (borrowed the whole series of dvds from a fren) and my gawd, it is FANTASTIC!!! it is by far the best and most well produced drama series i have ever seen, especially for the WW2 buffs.

ok ok i know i'm slow, blame it on the lack of SCV TV in my house, but man, i think i would die if i had to wait each week to watch each episode. my fave episode is Part 5, the one directed by Tom Hanks. dam good man...

*IMHO* It is the TV series that should have transmitted to everyone - FOC ... and the one TV series that all NS enlistees should watch - not as propaganda - but about the trials of war and the human element during conflict.

Well at least you are better then mi...
I have not even SCV noon the DVD much less watch it.......

Sigh sigh.....
hehheheee

Hi guys,

I'm a huge fan of BoB. Watched the entire series projected on a big screen two years ago. Bought and read the book. Bought the DVDs and watched it again. I even went to the Eagle's Nest in Germany!!

The plot of the series is absolutely fantastic. But like all American productions, we're all inspired to adore the stars and the stripes. The actors played their roles terribly well. Hell, they even look like the real life characters they were portraying!!! Esp the one who acted as Sgt. Guanere. Complete with pointy chin and steely gaze haha

But if anyone has been keeping up with the news, you'll know that Ambrose (writer of the BoB book which inspired the series) has been heavily criticised since he published the book. Many historians and soldiers claimed he distorted a large part of the truth and spun his own story.

Well, I may not know what happened exactly in the European Theatre back in 1945 but I do know I enjoyed the series tremendously, the world is at relative peace and what's passed is past.

:)

Reminds me of the "Combat!" series - starring Rick Jason and Vic Morrow.

Tan-ta-nan-tan-tan
Tan-ta-nan-tan-tan
Tan-tan-tan-tan-tan
*ka-pow! ka-pow! ka-pow!*....

Oops, is my age showing?

Ok ok, enough. I drooling already. Where to get the DVDs? ;p

Thanks Derrick. Will get meself a copy soon :thumbsup:

wah didn't know got many others who like the series so much. i'm especially impressed by Damian Lewis (aka "Major Dick Winters"). did you know he's Brit??? i had a shock when i heard him speaking with a Brit accent in the "Making Of..." special feature. but he's damn charismatic.

did anyone watch the Bonus Features DVD? the real Dick Winters has quite the screen presense as well, veru easy to believe him as the fast-rising officer and leader of Easy COmpany. now i also feel like going to Germany to see the Eagle's Nest.

hmmm think i'll go play Medal of Honour: Allied Assault again... :D

Never sign on army ????

wah didn't know got many others who like the series so much. i'm especially impressed by Damian Lewis (aka "Major Dick Winters"). did you know he's Brit??? i had a shock when i heard him speaking with a Brit accent in the "Making Of..." special feature. but he's damn charismatic.

did anyone watch the Bonus Features DVD? the real Dick Winters has quite the screen presense as well, veru easy to believe him as the fast-rising officer and leader of Easy COmpany. now i also feel like going to Germany to see the Eagle's Nest.

hmmm think i'll go play Medal of Honour: Allied Assault again... :D

The cheapest online I found so far is from Amazon.com. But can't remember the exact price.

Else if you have contacts in Canada, you can ask your friend to get for you. Costs abt S$150 after you add in the taxes and convert the currency.

Both American and Canadian versions are Code 1.

Don't reckon the DVD is available in S'pore yet.

Me? I settled for the good ol' KL version. RM70 was what I paid.

now i also feel like going to Germany to see the Eagle's Nest.

One of the ways to get to the Eagle's Nest is via Salzburg, Austria. The only way to go up the Nest is to sign up with tour agencies. The tour costs abt S$50 or EUR30. It's an hour long bus ride from Salzburg town centre to the foot of the mountain where the Eagle's Nest is housed. You get to learn of the history of that place and of buildings and things that once upon a time stood.

Then it's ride up a 6km winding bendy slope that brings you to the entrance of the Eagle's Nest. You also get to see the road where the Nazis, in a desperate attempt to slow the Allied forces down, detonated part of the rock wall to create a blockade on the road up to the Nest. The road is not longer in use today and of course the rubble is no longer there.

An amazing feature is a 130m long elevator shaft that leads to the Nest proper. Doesn't sound like anything major now but remember that this elevator system was built WAY back in the 1940s. The lift is made (I think) entirely from copper. And it looks exactly like the one in the series.

Once up there, the view you see is ABSOLUTELY breathtaking!! You see miles and miles of nothing but wonderful wonderful scenery. Recall the scene where Winters and Nixon had a drink at the balcony? Well, you won't be able to imagine the experience unless a) you're watching BoB on a 1000" big screen or b) you go to Eagle's Nest.

And that infamous fireplace which is encased in gold. You can see marks where the Alllied soldiers were trying to chip some gold off as souvenirs. One thing's for sure, the fireplace is HUGE.

My friend (another BoB fan) and I had a great kick re-enacting scenes from BoB haha

One word for the view and experience up there - undescribable.

Originally posted by PentiumPC
Never sign on army ????
erm... i'm not THAT desperate. besides, military life doesn't agree with me... ;p

strangely enough, i used to play with the old WW2 Mark 1 and Mark 4 rifles (actual ones, not toys or replicates). brings back some memories. of course they couldn't fire a single shot but i was told that they were more accurate than the M16s nowsadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.