[Banana_Man] Perfected Imperfections...

hi, beautiful pictures there! may i ask what are your settings? i'm expecting alot more of sharpness with my 50mm 1.2 . =/

hi fapic.... u mean the Canon 50mm 1.2? or the old nikon one or whatever brand...
i always put all the picture control settings to zero... The lens i used is already sharp enough though sometimes i sharpen it using high pass filter via Photoshop... hope this helps you in some way...

cheers
Banana

Last edited:
yeap the canon 50mm 1.2l.
oh... you're using a 85mm 1.4?

i'm from the darkside... ;)
mostly using 24-70mm to shoot nowadays which is like 99% of the time because i like the focal length coverage... lol
rarely use 85mm to shot... also i can't comment on the Canon 50 1.2 because i never use before...

here's one using the 85mm @ F1.4...

4475678029_82d472bc37_b.jpg

Last edited:
Picked this up from streets of bugis yesterday...
"Singapore's most famous foreign talent on tv at the moment"
4543697110_05ac21bba4_b.jpg

wow. lucky opportunity banana!
and i realised you have this style of positioning your subjects more to the right.

wow. lucky opportunity banana!
and i realised you have this style of positioning your subjects more to the right.

somehow i prefer it that way when i shoot some close up portraits... ;)
need to try to break this habit i must say... lol

Hi BD
Is it possible that I can tag along for your street shoot?

Picked this up from streets of bugis yesterday...
"Singapore's most famous foreign talent on tv at the moment"
4543697110_05ac21bba4_b.jpg

:thumbsup: my wife will scream when she saw this.. nice capture btw :)

Banana, very nice shots! :thumbsup:
I've seen you in action in the Pentax Outings, and your technique is certainly something to learn from. ;)

hi, beautiful pictures there! may i ask what are your settings? i'm expecting alot more of sharpness with my 50mm 1.2 . =/
50/1.2 does not necessarily mean its going to be sharper or better ;)
I does give the potential to have shallow DOF shots if you are looking into such pictures.
At f1.2, it can be a bitch to get proper focus as even the swaying of the head can move out the point of focus. With the subject in motion, it will be even harder. You'd have to try out to see what mileage you can get from it.

Last edited:
Lovely, lovely shots, BananaDiver. Your photos tell a story, and it makes me want to keep looking. It makes me want to pick up my camera again, your photos are so inspirational! Do you sell your photos? I think there are people who would want to buy them.

:thumbsup: my wife will scream when she saw this.. nice capture btw :)

hi Nummumball... yes... your wife will scream when she sees him in person... when i saw him, a lot of girls and aunties are already crowding him for pictures... i had to be thick-skin to be the only guy to ask for picture.... lol

nice shots

thanks for compliments...

Banana, very nice shots! :thumbsup:
I've seen you in action in the Pentax Outings, and your technique is certainly something to learn from. ;)

50/1.2 does not necessarily mean its going to be sharper or better ;)
I does give the potential to have shallow DOF shots if you are looking into such pictures.
At f1.2, it can be a bitch to get proper focus as even the swaying of the head can move out the point of focus. With the subject in motion, it will be even harder. You'd have to try out to see what mileage you can get from it.

i don't have any special shooting technique for people to learn from actually... and i am really not sure how i portray myself in front of other photographers when i shoot.... but i got things to learn from you...!!! that's STROBING.... haha... the previous pentax outings i did't bring my flash but next time i will try to bring... need to bring a set of flash triggers...

and yes... focusing with a F1.2 or F1.4 lens is a bitch... not sure whether the 50 F1.2 is soft when wide open or not... any back focusing issue will be a problem too... and try shooting stationary objects first to verify... and to be frank... i have use the Canon DSLR when i work sometimes (Company's camera)... Auto focusing can be very hard at times... maybe do Manual focus to try out...

Lovely, lovely shots, BananaDiver. Your photos tell a story, and it makes me want to keep looking. It makes me want to pick up my camera again, your photos are so inspirational! Do you sell your photos? I think there are people who would want to buy them.

thanks Grub... i do not sell my photos... and i'm not sure if i can sell it or not... got lobang for me to sell? photography is more of a passion and enjoyment for me now and i'm trying to improve everytime i go out to shoot... and making more friends along the way is a great satisfaction too whenever i join outings on CS as i try to discover other aspects of shooting from fellow CS friends...

cheers everyone...

Last edited:
You never know till you try, Bananadriver. Go to www.etsy.com and list your photos to sell. Some of the photos there are like "..." speechless because they are so bad and yet they dare to sell it online. But this is a place for artists from all walks of life to sell their stuff. I have considered selling my stuff here but not disciplined enough because I have to go to the post office, figure out how much to post it etc. Plus, I am not selling photos I am selling repurposed furniture, which is a real pain because it is a bigger item. Some people have good successes on this site. You are very good.