Bally Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

geeteethree

Aug 20, 2007
Bally photo, Funan. The 1D Mark III has some problems, i do have to admit. Although I went in and asked for a NEW set. Yellow dot, or even blue dot. A young man clearly told me, Sir this is the newest set we have gotten in with the latest firmware, mind you this was a week after the new 1.2.3 firmware had come out. I purchased my camera.

3 days i had to go back there to collect the box. I asked again, Isn't the later version a Blue dot? And he said No, the blue dot was the First sets. My box had no blue dot.
He lied to me not just once, but a second time around. Blue dot is the productions after the Sub-Mirror Fix.

Next day i took it to Canon. "This serial number is in the effected range" My heart dropped.
"We will perform a Sub Mirror Fix and 100%" it will be worth every penny of your thousands of dollars.
Obviously it had not had a Sub mirror fix.

Since then this troublesome body has caused me 3 visits to Canon Service Centre, and have recived good service by everyone down there btw.

Watch out, it feels like you have gone out to buy a ferrari, and the brakes had'nt been service although the salesman does say Yes they have been. It gives you a false sense of security, until one day they fail on you.

If he had only couldve given me a body blue or yellow dot, it would atleast have a much higher success rate and would be shooting my heart out right about now.

Just thought i'd share my experience.

Technically speaking, from what I gathered from foreign forums, 'Blue Dot' sets are actually re-furbished sets re-released after the first wave of problematic cameras were returned to Canon, and when Canon discovered that a sub-mirror assembly replacement could relieve the problem.

Since then, it has been discovered that the fault goes far deeper and lies with the design itself (the MkIII, IIRC, was re-designed from ground up, and not an upgrade/improvement of the MkII) and has not been fully rectified.

Some users have reported that they were satisfied with the AF performance of their MkIIIs, and there have been reports of absolutely horrendous performance even with the much later or latest production models. Depends on one's 'fong shui' I guess.

Do a search on the 1D MkIII AF issue and you would probably get a much wider, and clearer picture of the issues.

Do a search on the 1D MkIII AF issue and you would probably get a much wider, and clearer picture of the issues.

I have been looking at them for the last 6 months.
It is basically a lucky draw. Quite alot more numbers of bodies before the blue dot are problematic then after the blue dot.

The fact that Bally photo lied to me not only once, but twice is un acceptable.

Agreed. Have seen a lot of reports here about Bally Photo.

But why would you play tikam tikam even with the knowledge you have?

mm whats done is done.
Again Funan is a pretty well reputible shopping centre for all electronics.
Unlike Sim Lim or Lucky plaza except for some exceptions.
It is at CSC now and hopefully they guys their can resolve the issue by monday :S

mm whats done is done.
Again Funan is a pretty well reputible shopping centre for all electronics.
Unlike Sim Lim or Lucky plaza except for some exceptions.
It is at CSC now and hopefully they guys their can resolve the issue by monday :S

Funan is reputable, yes, but there are still quite a few bad apples within, one of which you have already surfaced. Honestly, the shops I've been to and trust are
John 3:16 (very friendly, not always the cheapest, but no one comes close in service),
Cathay Photo (a bit steeper sometimes) and
TK Foto (also very friendly people, probably the only ones who rival John 3:16 for service quality).

Hey there, sorry to bring in contract law if you already know about it, but just thought i'd add that just in case you have to pay for anything under csc etc you actually have the right to claim from bally as technically they've breached section 13 ( sale by description) and s14(3) (fitness for purpose) under the Singapore sale of goods act. considering you made it very clear to them your intentions with your purchase and all.

Either that or you can ask for a refund, I think (I'm not too sure about this cause you've brought it for modifications already in a sense.) but either way the rights are yours. If they refuse it'll be a huge hassle and all though cause you have to go to small claims court, but then really hope csc can settle the problem for you!

Anyways thanks for the heads up! will avoid bally for future purchases, just in case.

:)

ID MkIII is costly.
If you are going to pay so much, why go to Bally?
Maybe it was offered cheaper?

Why don't go to the shop where Pros buy from?

At this level, one is not looking for a salesman or sales girl with a "smile" or "service quality".

One is looking for Product.
And willing to pay a bit more for it.

Will one buy a Rolls Royce from a back alley shop in Geylang?

Why go to bally?
I was thinking...Why not?
Until the obvious reasons come up after my purchase.

Will one buy a Rolls Royce from a back alley shop in Geylang?
Most probably not.
People would buy the 1D Mark 3 from a Camera Store.
Bally photo. A camera store.

Service is expected at any level mate.

Why go to bally?
I was thinking...Why not?
Until the obvious reasons come up after my purchase.

Most probably not.
People would buy the 1D Mark 3 from a Camera Store.
Bally photo. A camera store.

Service is expected at any level mate.

Well, service is to be expected, but they won't be giving you any. There are lots of camera shops in Sg, but only a few are worth looking at. The others will just try their best to rip you off, but not before insulting you in one way or another. Real b*stards, they are.

Bally is a bad shop to go to. :thumbsd:

Simply put, the 1D mark III should not be your first Dslr so the only reason why you go to Bally is becos they offer you a lower price than others. Otherwise, you will be getting it from John 3:16, CP, AP, MS.

So, you decided to take the risk and this is the result of it. Just my 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.