ballroom shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by jude
what about shooting in slides? any recommendations?

IMO, such stuff should be shot on negs.

1. Negatives are available in much higher ISO ratings, and at high ISOs, are finer grain than ISO 400 slides pushed, or high speed slides.

2. Negatives when printed has less of a colour cast problem.

Press 800 is particularly impressive in terms of colour and grain.

Regards
CK

thanks ckiang for replying but the person who wanted me to shoot, wants it in slides...

Originally posted by ckiang

IMO, such stuff should be shot on negs.

1. Negatives are available in much higher ISO ratings, and at high ISOs, are finer grain than ISO 400 slides pushed, or high speed slides.

2. Negatives when printed has less of a colour cast problem.

Press 800 is particularly impressive in terms of colour and grain.

Regards
CK

thanks ckiang for replying but the person who wanted me to shoot, wants it in slides...

Go to the location and evaluate the lighting. If it needs more than ISO 800, reconsider. For this, you can try Provia 400F. Be aware of colour casts though. :)

Regards
CK

is there higher ISO available for slides? or is it too grainy to consider?

regards
jude

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Hi

this is a D30 shot, at ISO 1600, with 420EX flash providing ETTL coverage.

No flash exposure compensation was used because i have deliberately underexposed the background 1 or 2 stops. No way am i going to be able to expose the background properly - discos lights were dancing but it was simply too dark. Exposing the background properly would have shutter speeds too low for handholding, even at f2, which is the max aperture of the Sigma 20 f1.8 i was using......

therefore, i used flash as the main source of illumination.

the same principles should apply to film.

There's actually another stylistic way to take such shots - meter background properly even with inhuman shutter speeds, set flash to second curtain sync and faslh exposure compensation -1. This gives you slow sync effects with sharp subjects (due to the flash) and blurred backgrounds and some ghosting of the main subject (double images).

the slow sync effect is very nice when used well, but may not sit well with some viewers.

sounds cool....care to show some examples of this technique?

great! thanks ckiang!!

regards
jude

Originally posted by ckiang

Have. But they are known to be grainy. You might do better pushing Provia 400F to ISO 800 if you need to.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.