Ballhead Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

holidaydom

Aug 18, 2006
Hi all,

I'm currently using the Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead and am thinking of upgrading to something better with a more positive lock once the ballhead's position is secured.

On my current setup, I frame my image and lock the ballhead, but when I let go of the camera the image will "dip" ever so slightly before stopping.

I suppose this is due to a normal and minute amount of play in the ballhead as my setup is well within the specs for the 486RC2...

Hence, can anyone recommend me a good ballhead to upgrade from my current 486RC2?
Something that stays in position once you lock it.

> Makins ?
> King...(forgot the full name)
> Benro ?

Thanks~!!

my benro KJ-1 doing well for me... the advantage of benro is that for a similar price, can get a bigger and thus more secure head... :)

Thanks for the info bro! ;)

I suggest a KangRinpoche NB3-A with Wimberly plates. Might seem expensive after a 486RC2 but it will be the last ball head you need unless you shoot with something heavier than 5-6kg.

Try out the Markins M10. Its supposed to be one of the best.

Try out the Markins M10. Its supposed to be one of the best.

Got myself one of these. No regrets at all! :thumbsup: ;p
Simply :heart: it! :lovegrin:

How much does an M-10 cost these days? :dunno:

Hi all,

I'm currently using the Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead and am thinking of upgrading to something better with a more positive lock once the ballhead's position is secured.

On my current setup, I frame my image and lock the ballhead, but when I let go of the camera the image will "dip" ever so slightly before stopping.

I suppose this is due to a normal and minute amount of play in the ballhead as my setup is well within the specs for the 486RC2...

Hence, can anyone recommend me a good ballhead to upgrade from my current 486RC2?
Something that stays in position once you lock it.

> Makins ?
> King...(forgot the full name)
> Benro ?

Thanks~!!

go for markins. if you wanna see a difference, you shouldn't settle for others which is not much better than 486RC2. might as well keep using the 486RC2. moreover, adding on weight is going to tire you out carrying it around, unless you are in the studio.

and for tripod head and legs, unlike camera bodies and electronics, second hands (dun bother about dirt and scratch marks) are a great deal although i can't say the same for those which is made of more inferior material.

i use an RRS BH-40... absolutely :heart: it.. it locks very tight so ur camera won't move at all...
but i got someone to bring it back for me so i didn't have to spend on shipping and gst...

if all the above ballhead cost about 500sgd... no need to think so hard, go for the arca.

i paid b&h 327usd + 30usd ship for the z1 sp. usd to sgd is cheap now.

nothing can beat the arca swiss ballhead.. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.