Ballhead question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Hi,

Was thinking of getting the Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead to go with my Manfrotto 679B monopod. I'll be mounting a D70 with the 70-200VR f/2.8 lens on it. Does anyone forsee any problems with this ball head and the weight?

Also, can anyone recommend where and roughly how much I can get this ballhead for? TIA

Cheers
GYR

Nobody knows? :dunno:

Not familiar with Manfrotto 679B monopod, but IMO the 488RC2 is probably better as it has a max load of 8kg as compared to 486RC2's 6kg.

I suggest dun get 468RC. Monopod dun need ballhead. u can use a head with only top-down action. It will serve you just nice. Cost ard 30 dollars. I think it is Manfrotto brand if not wrong. Can't remember the model no.

Thanks, but I was considering a ballhead so that I can use it interchangably with a tripod (will buy in the future) as well as my existing monopod, depending on what the shooting conditions dictate. So I don't mind getting a better ball head (can't afford the Markins one :sweat: ).

How much is the 488RC2, does anyone know?

TIA
GYR

Gymrat76 said:
Hi,

Was thinking of getting the Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead to go with my Manfrotto 679B monopod. I'll be mounting a D70 with the 70-200VR f/2.8 lens on it. Does anyone forsee any problems with this ball head and the weight?

Also, can anyone recommend where and roughly how much I can get this ballhead for? TIA

Cheers
GYR

Hiee....

Why not thake your setup out to the shop and try it out......I'm sure thay would not mind at all......so from my experiences......most shops would not mind you trying out. And in shops, you can try out and compare side by side...

rgds,
sulhan

Thanks for the advice -which shops carry a nice range of Manfrotto monopods? CP in Peninsular?

Regards
GYR

Problem with using a ballhead on a monopod - you need one hand to hold your monopod, one hand to adjust the tension knob on the ballhead, and another hand to hold your camera so that it does not flop over. I tried my Acratech ballhead on my Gitzo monopod - the combination was so fiddly that I gave up.

Really Right Stuff recommends that you use a 234RC swivel head on your monopod. I tried this solution (after all, a 234RC head is really cheap!). The problem is as you would expect - you can only swivel in one axis. If you want a vertical shot, you have to remove the camera, rotate the mount 90 degrees, and remount the camera on the monopod. This will not be a problem with your 70-200VR lens as it comes with a tripod foot.

Good luck with your decision :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess I will have to haul my monopod, camera and lens down to CP to try it out and see if I like it. :think:

Cheers
GYR

Status
Not open for further replies.