Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Markins. First BH I've got, but I'm very pleased with it thus far. Very precise and well-built.

I'll be getting the RRS BH-40.. i liked their lever clamp design, and buying it separately to mount on a different ballhead would cost too much.. the design of the knobs are also much easier to use imo... I'm also getting the L-plate on the way so it's like a one-stop solution for me..

But it's pretty short, so if you have a tripod mount that's very wide u'll have problems using it in the vertical position...

Im using the markins M10. No complaints so far. light, compact and very well built. easily takes up to a sigma 120-300f2.8

My M10 takes my D200 with Batt grip (loaded with 2 batts) together with my Nikkor 80-200mm F2.8 with no problem at all. I'm using the baseplate on the battery grip. Not the tripod collar.

I use the Arca Swiss B1, and it has been a joy (on the rare occassions I use it). The Z1SP seems to be a newer better model. No idea on the RSS or Markin.

On the Hassy, which I know you own too, I have to use both the Hassy tripod quick coupling plate + Wimberley P-5 plate (Arca Swiss compatible) to be able to use on the Arca Swiss.

Given all cost around 350US$... which one would you recommend?

I use the Arca Swiss B1, and it has been a joy (on the rare occassions I use it). The Z1SP seems to be a newer better model. No idea on the RSS or Markin.

On the Hassy, which I know you own too, I have to use both the Hassy tripod quick coupling plate + Wimberley P-5 plate (Arca Swiss compatible) to be able to use on the Arca Swiss.

i used to have a Wimberley plate and cramp on a Gtzo ballhead, then sold the Gitzo bought a 50$ small Giottos ballhead.

Gitzo ballhead was as lousy as this Giottos, but Giottos is light and cheap.. so cannot complain too much, lightness is always good for traveling. I use that 200+$ wimberly plate and cramp on the cheap Giotto.. what a joke?! It was was damaged during my recent backpacking trip. Hassy on a small and cheap ballhead can be very frustrating esp with close focus... so.. decided, and lesson learnt, better invest in a good ballhead.

I bought the Giottos, almost $200. Big regret, shouldn't have believed the specs and the salesman, sold it few days later cheap and got the Arca Swiss. So we both learned a lesson :)

Thinking back, I should have bought the biggest Arca Swiss ...:think: ... but then, I hardly use it ...

i used to have a Wimberley plate and cramp on a Gtzo ballhead, then sold the Gitzo bought a 50$ small Giottos ballhead.

Gitzo ballhead was as lousy as this Giottos, but Giottos is light and cheap.. so cannot complain too much, lightness is always good for traveling. I use that 200+$ wimberly plate and cramp on the cheap Giotto.. what a joke?! It was was damaged during my recent backpacking trip. Hassy on a small and cheap ballhead can be very frustrating esp with close focus... so.. decided, and lesson learnt, better invest in a good ballhead.

go for the Markins... lots of good reviews on that brand... :thumbsup:

if u have a hassy, i don't think u would use the RRS BH-40... RRS doesn't even reccommend it.. u're better off with the arca swiss or markins..

I bought a Markins M10, loaded it with a D200, grip with 2 batts, 70-200mm VR + 1.7 TCII, SB-800 with 5 2700mAh Batts, angled 45° and it locked stable without any noticable slag! :bigeyes: :heart: :thumbsup: IMO!

Gitzo ballhead sux.. despite the big Gitzo name... hahahaa.

Then Arca Swiss z1 single pan or double pan.. which one better.. another 200+$ more, worth the money?

Really Right Stuff should be the right one, really. Good stuff. :)

I'm really happy with my old AS B1 but I've heard quality complaints about the newer B1. Not sure about the Z1 but it sure looks good. Do consider KR too.

Really Right Stuff should be the right one, really. Good stuff. :)

I'm really happy with my old AS B1 but I've heard quality complaints about the newer B1. Not sure about the Z1 but it sure looks good. Do consider KR too.

Aahhh.. have place my order for the z1 327usd from b&h.. thanks to all. :)

Aahhh.. have place my order for the z1 327usd from b&h.. thanks to all. :)

You will definitely not regret. Am using the Arca Swiss Z1 with Quick Release. I mate it with the Kirk tripod base (less the center column and damps vibration) and the Gitzo GT2530 with RRS L plate bracket and lens plates. Tripod to head ratio is almost perfect. I would say that I have seen nothing better in this range. May add some spikes to convert it to a Super Gitzo.

For heavier rigs, RRS BH-55 and the Gitzo 3530S. :thumbsup:

Hi, I'm considering the Arca Swiss Z1 too. Is it not available locally in Singapore and therefore you have to order from B&H?

Hi, I'm considering the Arca Swiss Z1 too. Is it not available locally in Singapore and therefore you have to order from B&H?

CP said they going to bring it in selling at 800+$ this May.. this shld be z1 dp, i guess, else it would be too ex$ for sp. u dun really like that atitude of those CP sales ppl, as much as i can afford, i go buy online or ebay.

if u work out the $, CP tend to price their stuff at slightly lower than the price u you would have paid if u had bought it online + freight. so their profit include bulk retail price + your freight!!

B&H z1 sp is here... better buy now, while SGD is strongest.. good luck
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...923&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I got the Arca Swiss Z1 sp from cathay for $8** in March. Actually I bought the last set. I guess the set they will be bringing in the the sp not dp.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.