Ball head

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Would like to know more about the what's the difference among the so many ball head in the market. What are the differences btw an ok ball head with an expensive ball head?

I have a manfrotto ball head and sometimes when I mount my 70-300mm lens onto it, seems like it cant really hold the lens steady, is this due to the cheap ball head for nt able to take the weight?

thanks in advance. ;)

All the ballhead has a maximum load capacity. To answer your question you need to know what is the max load for your current ballhead versus the total weight of your camera and lens plus flash.

sumball said:
Would like to know more about the what's the difference among the so many ball head in the market. What are the differences btw an ok ball head with an expensive ball head?

I have a manfrotto ball head and sometimes when I mount my 70-300mm lens onto it, seems like it cant really hold the lens steady, is this due to the cheap ball head for nt able to take the weight?

thanks in advance. ;)

An expensive ball head does the job better than a cheap ballhead. Go to Cathay Photo and compare your manfrotto ballhead to an Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead. The B1 (and while you are there, ask them to show you the B2!) makes others (I am not talking about other great ball heads such as those made by Linhof) available in Singapore look like cheap toys!

Thank you for the explanations....

Will check out the max load capacity of my ball head... always forget the model,... is there a 408?

sumball said:
Thank you for the explanations....

Will check out the max load capacity of my ball head... always forget the model,... is there a 408?
I usually put my 300mm f4L lens with flash and full 300D setup on a manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead+quick release plate and it is really sturdy...

Hope it might help! Cheers.

Is the max load refering to when you mount the camera body or lens on the tripod?
They differs because when you mount the lens on tripod, the weight load is more balance among all sides of the mount.
But when you mount the camera body on the tripod, your big lens will try to twist the ballhead towards the end of lens.

justdoit said:
But when you mount the camera body on the tripod, your big lens will try to twist the ballhead towards the end of lens.

This is what I encounter. Think many ppl encounter this problem thats y they have the collar or the plate so that ppl can mount the camera on the lens while the lens is mount on the ball head.

:bsmilie:

nickmak said:
I usually put my 300mm f4L lens with flash and full 300D setup on a manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead+quick release plate and it is really sturdy...

Hope it might help! Cheers.
Really? I put my 70-200mm f2.8 + 10D on the same combo and the ballhead creeps slightly. Put a heavier lens like the 50-500 and it is much worse. Especially if your combo is tilted at an angle.

In short, I ditched the Manfrotto ballhead, got myself a Markins M10 and am definitely much happier. :)

Garion said:
In short, I ditched the Manfrotto ballhead, got myself a Markins M10 and am definitely much happier. :)

Interesting! I use the arca-swiss. When this darn thing does not jam, it can take almost anything I put on it, and not skip a bit! Perhaps my fingers are bad, but everything now and then,it freezes up, in the most annoying og times. So now I travel with two heads - an arca-swiss and a markins as back-up! I am paranoid!

seems like i have to get myself a new ball head then....

y0ngcheng said:
use ur sumball's head lah :p

hahahaha :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

too many cos sum(some) ball heads...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.