ball head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nivlaOof

May 5, 2007
little.RED.dot
Hi guys, im looking for a tripod... i realise that most of it doesnt come with ball head. so 1 qns, it may sound silly but is ball head really needed? wat is the exact use of a ball head?:dunno:
The sale person told me i dont need a ball head at all.. pls enlighten me! :)

A ballhead in simple terms is an adaptor that sits in between the tripod and your camera which facilitates movement of the camera while mounted on the tripod.

thanks guys.... finally understood ... :D ..
i think im goinh to get benro tripod A158 with ball head BH-0?.... any feedback frm u guys? :)

thanks guys.... finally understood ... :D ..
i think im goinh to get benro tripod A158 with ball head BH-0?.... any feedback frm u guys? :)

Check whether the Benro QR plate still can rotate even after you screw it onto your camera.

I'm using BH-00, and it has that problem. It's exasperating when you're trying to take landscape photos in the vertical (portrait) format and it keeps drooping down, down and down because of that.

Check whether the Benro QR plate still can rotate even after you screw it onto your camera.

I'm using BH-00, and it has that problem. It's exasperating when you're trying to take landscape photos in the vertical (portrait) format and it keeps drooping down, down and down because of that.

u mean when shooting vertical.. the camera doesnt lock in position with ur BH00?.. hmm that will be a prob.. i will chk it out.. thanks for the reminder :)

u mean when shooting vertical.. the camera doesnt lock in position with ur BH00?.. hmm that will be a prob.. i will chk it out.. thanks for the reminder :)

Is not ballhead issue, it's the QR plate quality; somehow the cork on the QR plate doesn't really have enough friction to ensure that it is locked in place with the camera.

not saying the benro sucks, but from the look of bh-00, it doesn't looks like 1 that take serious unbalanced load... its just like my ex-slik sprint pro ballhead, but of cos a little bigger. :bsmilie:

anyway for heavier load, one should be looking at the kj/ks... etc series instead.

not saying the benro sucks, but from the look of bh-00, it doesn't looks like 1 that take serious unbalanced load... its just like my ex-slik sprint pro ballhead, but of cos a little bigger. :bsmilie:

anyway for heavier load, one should be looking at the kj/ks... etc series instead.

=( I got no choice leh. I just walked into OP and asked for the "cheapest ball head" you have.

I wish my Slik Sprint 3-way head didn't just fail on me. The screw turned into metallic dust! I'll be telling the story always. Might be my fault though, I kept tightening it, hee hee!

=( I got no choice leh. I just walked into OP and asked for the "cheapest ball head" you have.

I wish my Slik Sprint 3-way head didn't just fail on me. The screw turned into metallic dust! I'll be telling the story always. Might be my fault though, I kept tightening it, hee hee!
haha, if you looking for pan tilt, might want to try slik 705e or something... the one that came with 330/340dx. rock solid even with 80-200+flash. :thumbsup:
2nd hand price is as low as 25. ;)

oopz OTOT liao...

haha, if you looking for pan tilt, might want to try slik 705e or something... the one that came with 330/340dx. rock solid even with 80-200+flash. :thumbsup:
2nd hand price is as low as 25. ;)

oopz OTOT liao...
Can get first-hand meh? :bsmilie:

I don't mind. I don't like my ballhead. Quick, help me!

Some cameras have short screw holes on the base, add a pice of washer on the top of the QR plate will solve the problem. At portial position dropping down, i am not sure. But I tried BH-0 on 1d, 70-200mm F2.8 IS, Flash 580EX, it can stop at any position u want. Pictures as below

IMG_2689.jpg
IMG_2687.jpg

I can help you have a look on the ball head if you have any problem of using it...:)

Hey Jack, thanks for the notice.. I didn't get the ballhead from you though.. From OP.. =D

Using K100D.. Anyways nowadays I just support the lens with my hand and grip the tripod tightly.. No handshake visible so I guess I'll make do.

Though if you could provide a solution it'd be much appreciated! =) Ballhead is fine, it's the QR plate that irks me.

Hey Jack, thanks for the notice.. I didn't get the ballhead from you though.. From OP.. =D

Using K100D.. Anyways nowadays I just support the lens with my hand and grip the tripod tightly.. No handshake visible so I guess I'll make do.

Though if you could provide a solution it'd be much appreciated! =) Ballhead is fine, it's the QR plate that irks me.

Its very easy to fix. Try to add something between the QR plate and the camera, about 2mm in thickness. If you are not able to make it, contact me at 93880029 and I will fix it for you.

It happens to all the point and shoot cameras as the hole at the bottom of the camera is short than the screw on the QR plate. I tried the QR plate on the Canon and Nikon DSLR bodies are without any problem...

Anyone got any issue on Benro / Gitzo can contact me at 93880029, I replaced a rubber ring (from benro) for a Gitzo tripod before and it happened to be the same size.:)

If you are using a heavy lens, you should seriously consider using the AS (Arca-Swiss) design clamp and plates. The Benro KJ and KS ballheads, as recommended by ExplorerZ, uses the AS-clamp.

If possible, avoid having soft materials (rubber, cork) between your plate and the lens/camera, esp for super-teles, as they increase vibration.

Is not ballhead issue, it's the QR plate quality; somehow the cork on the QR plate doesn't really have enough friction to ensure that it is locked in place with the camera.

Lens-specific or camera-specific plates from RRS (Really Right Stuff) or Kirk will prevent the plate from rotating.

Get a bigger ballhead.

Mmm, An drew, the problem is not the ballhead, it is the QR plate, as mentioned above. THanks anyways! =)

I believe in giving positive feedback as well as negative; and I must say that Jack006 really deserves some heartfelt praise from me. I applaud his proactivity in contacting me to try to resolve my problems, for whatever reason; since he was not linked to my purchase in any way directly. Anyways, I've solved the problem with one of my brother's bike washers, which look pretty cheap, I think 10 for 1 buck. Anything to increase the distance between the QR plate and camera body seems to work, as what Jack told me.

Thanks Jack once again! =)

Mmm, An drew, the problem is not the ballhead, it is the QR plate, as mentioned above. THanks anyways! =)

I believe in giving positive feedback as well as negative; and I must say that Jack006 really deserves some heartfelt praise from me. I applaud his proactivity in contacting me to try to resolve my problems, for whatever reason; since he was not linked to my purchase in any way directly. Anyways, I've solved the problem with one of my brother's bike washers, which look pretty cheap, I think 10 for 1 buck. Anything to increase the distance between the QR plate and camera body seems to work, as what Jack told me.

Thanks Jack once again! =)

OIC, cheap and good solution. Anyway this ballhead is not meant for long lenses that is subject to the kind of vibration that I'm talking about.

Yeah, Jack is a helpful and nice guy, got my small ballhead from him.:thumbsup:

For my normal tripod, I have to "shorten" one of the legs when shooting shooting, for eg, the moon.

The Ball heads allow the camera to be tilted up, am I right?

For my normal tripod, I have to "shorten" one of the legs when shooting shooting, for eg, the moon.

The Ball heads allow the camera to be tilted up, am I right?

Yes.

Pan-tilt also can what?

Status
Not open for further replies.