Ball Head Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kzone

Oct 18, 2004
Hi guys, need a recommendation for a sturdy ball head....

I'm using Gitzo GT0530 that has a max load of only 5kg. So what would be a good ball head to recommend? My requirement would be easy to use, light & sturdy..

Currently using a Mamiya ball head weighing 0.16kg but its not sturdy enough.. after tightening, it will drop slightly...

I know the Markins Q3 would be highly recommended but I feel that I'm overpaying since I dont need the max load of 30KG.. Is there anything as sturdy that cost less?

U may want to look at the Kangrinpoche from Cathay Photo. CP is having a promo on one of the model (can't remember which) at $400 plus. I am using one and it is half the price of the Markin.
Cheers

I thot the Markins Q3 is $450? If Kangrinpoche is $400+, might as well get the Q3 isnt it?

U may want to look at the Kangrinpoche from Cathay Photo. CP is having a promo on one of the model (can't remember which) at $400 plus. I am using one and it is half the price of the Markins.
Cheers

Even Markins's most expensive model - M20, is not selling at double the price of $400+.

If the Kangripoche is selling at $400+ after promotion, you can opt to get the Markins Q3 which is selling at about $450-480. However, you will need to fork out another $70-80 for the quick release plate.

Though you may not need the load now, there is no telling you may upgrade to heavier setup in future. If your heaviest setup will be the 70-200/2.8, the Q3 will suffice for the years to come.

I have to say: Due to the small market niche and the performance required out of a ballhead, you really have to spend a good sum on this. Experience has told me there's no cheap and good ballhead out there. Expect to splash at least $500 on this.

Even Markins's most expensive model - M20, is not selling at double the price of $400+.

If the Kangripoche is selling at $400+ after promotion, you can opt to get the Markins Q3 which is selling at about $450-480. However, you will need to fork out another $70-80 for the quick release plate.

Though you may not need the load now, there is no telling you may upgrade to heavier setup in future. If your heaviest setup will be the 70-200/2.8, the Q3 will suffice for the years to come.

Thx for the info. Newbie here, didn't check around but was told by shop that Markins cost more so ended up buying a Kang.
I am still looking for another ballhead and will definitely look at the Q3.
Cheers

I bought a 486RC2 at first.

But when I bought a 70-200 f4, found that it is load competent but still had some drooping.

Ended up buying the Markins Q3. So like what most members here have experienced.

Buy the best and don't look back.

What's your budget? Have you considered Acratech's Ultimate Ballhead?

Acratech is also $400++ & also weighs 450 gm with plate. So anything in that price range & abt same weight I'd rather get a Markins.

My current budget is $250 but if I cant get something much better than what I'm using now, I wud delay my purchase and increase by budget in another mth or so...

My concern with the Q3... my current mamiya ballhead is only 160gm... the Q3 with plate should be about 300gm more... is there anything out there lighter than the Q3 but as sturdy? Or is that too much to wish for?

Acratech is also $400++ & also weighs 450 gm with plate. So anything in that price range & abt same weight I'd rather get a Markins.

My current budget is $250 but if I cant get something much better than what I'm using now, I wud delay my purchase and increase by budget in another mth or so...

My concern with the Q3... my current mamiya ballhead is only 160gm... the Q3 with plate should be about 300gm more... is there anything out there lighter than the Q3 but as sturdy? Or is that too much to wish for?

Over at Nikonians, there is a comparison of Markins ball heads against the other more well-known and it appears that the Markins Q3 is the lightest and has the best CP ratio. Do take note that the comparison only consider "pro" ball heads defined as those having "sweet spot" control.

Just get the Q3....its considered fairly lightweight already, and has excellent build...my advice is just go for it, you will not regret your purchase I can guarantee it. I'm using Markins myself (1st gen M10) and its still going strong after almost 4 yrs. No regrets at all....the $500+ spent was really worth it. My philosophy for support system is the same as for camera gear in general: get the best you can afford. Your gear deserves it.

Over at Nikonians, there is a comparison of Markins ball heads against the other more well-known and it appears that the Markins Q3 is the lightest and has the best CP ratio. Do take note that the comparison only consider "pro" ball heads defined as those having "sweet spot" control.
What is this " Sweet Spot Control"?

I think "sweet spot" control is referring to fiction control.

Markins is definitely worth buying, I was comparing with Markins and Kangrinpoche before, price is only about $100 buck diff. comparing Kang NB2 and Markins M10, so I went for Markins becuz it is made in Korea not China. haha

Kang come with 1 standard Plate, markins dun. I got myself a cheap benro plate, and it works!!!!

Sorry Kzone for hijack your thread...

Now I also looking for a solid and light weight BH.
As my 488RC2 have fail me abit... meaning is drop abit after mounted my 100mm lens with and w/o BG...

Currently I'm comparing these 3 BH's.
Acratech GV2 Ballhead, Acratech Ultimate Ballhead & Makins Q3.
Any advice on these 3 BH??
Thanks...

Specification for Makins Q3
Model : Q3
Type : Quick shoe
Weight : 385 g
Max Loads : 30 kg
Spec : 38B×54.5P×91H mm
Ball Locking : progressive
Friction Adj. : ok
Panning : ok
Panorama Index : ok
Color : black, blue, wine red
Price w/o Plate : USD $270

Specification for Acratech GV2
Load Capacity : 25 lb (11.3 kg)
Height : 4.25" (108mm)
Quick Release : Yes, Arca-Swiss type
Spirit Level : No
Tension Control : Yes
Separate Panning Lock : Yes
Tripod Mount Thread Size : Dual 1/4"-20 and 3/8"
Weight : 1 lb (450 g)
Price : USD $329.95

Acratech Ultimate Ballhead
Maximum Camera Supported : Large format cameras
Load Capacity : 25 lb (11.3 kg)
Height : 4.1" (10.4 cm)
Quick Release : No
Spirit Level : No
Tension Control : No
Camera Mount Thread Size : 3/8"-16 (no camera platform)
Tripod Mount Thread Size : 3/8"-16 (1/4"-20 reducer bushing supplied)
Weight : 11.5 lb (327 g)
Price w/o plate : USD $ 239.95

do take note on the way arcatech works, some of us may not use to it. I never tried arcatech before, but I must say, the design of Arcatech look really cool and diff from others.

Thanks for all the advise... decided to delay my puchase till I can get the Markins Q3.

do take note on the way arcatech works, some of us may not use to it. I never tried arcatech before, but I must say, the design of Arcatech look really cool and diff from others.

For me, its design is what put me off in the first place ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.