Ball Head for Tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Hi.... I'm using a PPCP Pro V2 tripod, but find that the Ball Head is unable to firmly hold my 400D + 75-300mm lense. Was thinking about getting a new Ball Head, but PPCP website doesn't have any. Too costly to change the whole tripod...... so was thinking about just getting a better Ball Head from some other better brand.... Giotto's, Manfrotto, Benro, etc.

Question.....

1) My PPCP tripod Ball Head is 1/4 inch Compatible..... does it means that I could use any Ball Head from other Brands as long as they are also 1/4 inch Compatible ??

2) Would it be better to bring my PPCP tripod to the shop to 'test' out the Ball Head ??

3) Any better suggestion ??

Thxs :D

Think it will be better to bring your heaviest setup and the tripod. After all, that's what you are looking out for, right? You will want to find out right away if the new ball head can hold your setup firmly rather than going back home. If budget permits, get the better ones like Markins, Arca-Swiss etc. It will be an one-time upgrade, though a rather expensive one ;p

Thxs for the info.... cost is always a problem for all of us... hahaha.:D

My buget is around $150-$200..... Anyone have a Ball Head to recommond ?? ;)

if u wanna save the hassle of buying another and upgrading ( which might just cost u more ) just get a good one like Markins and Arca Swiss like wat Randius mentioned. My Markins never failed me, and i never regretted getting it :)

Ryan

Thxs for the info.... cost is always a problem for all of us... hahaha.:D

My buget is around $150-$200..... Anyone have a Ball Head to recommond ?? ;)

The Manfrotto or Giottos ball head (don't know about the others) may be good enough but I won't get the 488RC0 or other ball head with those odd-shape (hexagonal) quick release plates. If you ever move on to using wimberly clamps or L-bracket, most of them (or all) are using dovetail design and you will be forced to upgrade your ball head again. I am also thinking of getting rid of my Giottos MH1001-300 + MH652 ball head to go for the Markins M10 or M20. Yes, it will be a rather painful pinch at first but the pain will go away over the next few decades ;)

i Recommand benro A-258n6 ($160) from OP then Benro BH-01 Ballhead with it. Can handle up to 8kg of load. Which is = to a pro flash,70-200 f2.8 and pro body with grip. Abit exp but i believe its worthy investment. ;)

Poison leh. Most people from Nikonian.org will recommend the arca-swiss type ball heads ;p

hahah thats true , they always recomend u go for the best and save on reselling and upgrades. I got myself a KR NB2. Was on special offer at CP.

Check out the taiwanese brand Feisol , Seems not too bad as well.

take a look at manfrotto's 486RC2 ballhead. it uses the 200PL plate for quick release. CP is the agent. they have a sample for show. i think i saw at orient sim lim as well.

it's always a good idea to bring down your body with the heaviest lens you intend to use to try out the ballhead. as for the legs, you can 'borrow' one from the shop that's almost equivalent to the one you have for the testing.

Ball head's are standard.

If you're still uncertain, just bring the existing ballhead, no need the whole tripod.

i'm not so sure abt that. some tripod has a 3/8" male component, some has 2/8" male component. suitable ballhead with a same size female component is required. i think

i'm not so sure abt that. some tripod has a 3/8" male component, some has 2/8" male component. suitable ballhead with a same size female component is required. i think

Yup..... MS color told me the same thing. But it seems that most use the 1/4'' screw. I plan to us my old Ball Head on my Mono pod..... just tried yesterday, the Ball Head fits perferly. :D

better check cos most manfrotto ballhead and gitzo tripod head to tripod thread is 3/8 thread.

Yup..... MS color told me the same thing. But it seems that most use the 1/4'' screw. I plan to us my old Ball Head on my Mono pod..... just tried yesterday, the Ball Head fits perferly. :D

it might be the opposite. my manfrotto and markins are 3/8". kirk and feisol are also 3/8". if i'm not wrong, some of the other high end brands offers both 2/8" and 3/8" models. and even the chinese ballhead kangpinroche is 3/8". this puzzles as to why PPCP chooses to have a screw size of 2/8" and didn't offer the convinience of an adaptor (whom some ppl may not be aware at all of its presence).

do note these refers to the tripod socket thread size of the ballheads, and not the camera screw mount size on the relevant quick release plates or platforms. the camera screw mount size of the plates are almost all 2/8" becos the DSLRs are uniformly having a socket thread size of 2/8".

a little confused for me at the start. just remember...

the tripod joins the ballhead body (tripod screw + ballhead body socket): better ones tend to be 3/8" male to 3/8" female
the body joins the plate (specific to each model)
the plate joins the DSLR (ballhead plate screw +DSLR body socket): mostly 2/8" male to 2/8" female

Did another little test.....

It seems that my PPCP Ball Head use the same ''size'' screw as those under any camera..... I took out the quick release plate and try ''screwing'' it at the bottom of the Ball Head..... fits perfectly !! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.