Bali

xhui said:
Thanks ZerocoolAstra for the reply!

I do agree the days i'll be there is quite short (sigh, no choice). Guess have to make do with whatever time i have.. We're definitely doing very minimal shopping and stuffs. Phototaking, and just taking in what Bali has to offer would be priority!

I've booked my tickets for $118 (jetstar taxes incl)! Also booked my accomodation with Ellie's at Nusa Dua (495,000IDR for 3 nights bfast included, sea side view). Hope the place is not too far off though i understand its somewhere down South (away from Kuta).

Now that flight tix and accomo are fixed, to do some selecting of places to visit, am still quite undecided on those temple visits. I've quite a few friends mentioning "all the temples are the same, don't visit so many, just 1 will do". If so, which would you recommend?

I think uluwatu should be nearer to where i'm staying, hope to start with that on my 1st full day touring. Though ubud and kintamani (should go?) is pretty far then. Even Tanah Lot is pretty far north also. Will also hope to visit Jatiluwih for those rice paddies fields after quite a few recommendations here! hmm. Will be engaging a driver to bring us around for the 2 full days too. Too many recommendations on the net and from reviews :eek:

Thanks again, for also all the recommendations and suggestions! :)

Ok so you prioritized photo-taking higher than shopping.
With 2 full days, here's my recommendation:
Day 2: Early morning start. Chiong all the way to Lake Bratan. There's a temple on the lakeside, which is featured on the 50000 rupiah note.
TPX2633.jpg

Lake Bratan
Taken from img2.allposters.com/images/JAPOD/TPX2633.jpg
On the way back south, you may choose to stop by Jatiluwih, then Ubud. Probably have dinner there then head back to hotel. Perhaps catch a night performance (kecak dance).

Day 3: Head north (again) to Mengwi (pura taman ayun), tanah lot, kuta, then to uluwatu and around nusa dua area. If time permits, can try the seafood by the beach at jimbaran.

Day 4: rest and relax. Home sweet home.

Note: Some of the day-trips that are run from Bali have pretty frightening schedules. They can cram everything I've suggested (probably more) into a full day's travelling!!! I've not tried them out before. Here is a link to one of the tour operators.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

woah, did a search and found the information here so far to be really informative! would like some advices on hotels and places to visit (TS, hope it's ok to tag along here since will be going Bali also - let me know if you prefer not).

I'll be in Bali from 24 Jan (arrive at night 930pm) till 27 Jan (230pm flight out). It's a bit short though these are the only days i could afford. Will be going down with either 1 or 2 more of my friends.

I will be in Bali from 25th Jan to 28th Jan :)

Ok so you prioritized photo-taking higher than shopping.
With 2 full days, here's my recommendation:
Day 2: Early morning start. Chiong all the way to Lake Bratan. There's a temple on the lakeside, which is featured on the 50000 rupiah note.
TPX2633.jpg

Lake Bratan
Taken from img2.allposters.com/images/JAPOD/TPX2633.jpg
On the way back south, you may choose to stop by Jatiluwih, then Ubud. Probably have dinner there then head back to hotel. Perhaps catch a night performance (kecak dance).

Day 3: Head north (again) to Mengwi (pura taman ayun), tanah lot, kuta, then to uluwatu and around nusa dua area. If time permits, can try the seafood by the beach at jimbaran.

Day 4: rest and relax. Home sweet home.

Note: Some of the day-trips that are run from Bali have pretty frightening schedules. They can cram everything I've suggested (probably more) into a full day's travelling!!! I've not tried them out before. Here is a link to one of the tour operators.

Thanks again ZerocoolAstra! It is again very very helpful! Yah, I would definitely only (most probably) only visit places where there's good photography opportunity (I've mentioned that to my 2 other friends and they are agreeable with one bringing her LX3 for some shoot out).

Hmm, so you would suggest visiting Lake Bratan instead of Lake Batur?? Day 2 seems great, and day 3 i just might need to time it nicely for a hopeful good sunset shot at tanah lot (no rain please!)

And seafood.. yum ;p Think will start some negotiating with those drivers on the places i would like to visit.

You've been a great great help ZerocoolAstra! :)

Thanks again ZerocoolAstra! It is again very very helpful! Yah, I would definitely only (most probably) only visit places where there's good photography opportunity (I've mentioned that to my 2 other friends and they are agreeable with one bringing her LX3 for some shoot out).

Hmm, so you would suggest visiting Lake Bratan instead of Lake Batur?? Day 2 seems great, and day 3 i just might need to time it nicely for a hopeful good sunset shot at tanah lot (no rain please!)

And seafood.. yum ;p Think will start some negotiating with those drivers on the places i would like to visit.

You've been a great great help ZerocoolAstra! :)

I didn't go to Lake Batur, I'm afraid, so I'm not qualified to compare between the 2 lakes. All I know is that when I first saw Lake Bratan after such a long ascent, it kinda took my breath away...
It was a very calming experience to be there by the lakeside.

There are numerous padi fields along the way back south from Bedugul/Lake Bratan. I think some were nicer than Jatiluwih, though I saw them from the car seat, and was afraid to tell the driver to stop coz of the fast-moving traffic.
Jatiluwih is a 20min detour off the main road, so it's a 40min journey in and out again. Something to consider if time is precious.
Even Ubud is surrounded by Padi plantations.
Oh... on the way south from bedugul/bratan, you'll pass by a small town called Pacung. There is a resort there on the right side of the road. When you go into the resort, you can see a padi field behind. The padi terraces are quite steep, so they look quite dramatic. There is also an interesting-looking hut amongst the padi, which would be a nice photo op I think.

I didn't go to Lake Batur, I'm afraid, so I'm not qualified to compare between the 2 lakes. All I know is that when I first saw Lake Bratan after such a long ascent, it kinda took my breath away...
It was a very calming experience to be there by the lakeside.

There are numerous padi fields along the way back south from Bedugul/Lake Bratan. I think some were nicer than Jatiluwih, though I saw them from the car seat, and was afraid to tell the driver to stop coz of the fast-moving traffic.
Jatiluwih is a 20min detour off the main road, so it's a 40min journey in and out again. Something to consider if time is precious.
Even Ubud is surrounded by Padi plantations.
Oh... on the way south from bedugul/bratan, you'll pass by a small town called Pacung. There is a resort there on the right side of the road. When you go into the resort, you can see a padi field behind. The padi terraces are quite steep, so they look quite dramatic. There is also an interesting-looking hut amongst the padi, which would be a nice photo op I think.

Ah, your suggestions are always so helpful! :) Will take all these down and plan my places to visit accordingly. Thanks for the heads up on the travelling time for Jatiluwih. Time is definitely not on my side for this trip. oh well.

Will also make a look out for Pacung and the padi terraces, and hopefully i'm able to capture something beautiful (now if only my skills are able to catch up to the scenery! :bsmilie: )

Thanks ZerocoolAstra! Hope this thread can also serves as a good place for others who's visiting or thinking of visiting Bali as well!! :thumbsup:

I had the Babi Guling Ibu Oka in Ubud and fell seriously ill that night. Kena diarrhoea non stop for the next 2 days. :(

good practice to bring over Lomotil when you travel. I usually pack some. dont want bad stomachs to spoil the holiday fun.

good practice to bring over Lomotil when you travel. I usually pack some. dont want bad stomachs to spoil the holiday fun.

FYI i do have these basic medications whenever i travel (regardless of duration): flu pills, fever pills, paracetamol, motion sickness pills & diahhorea pills. i hardly touch any of them during any of the previous trips

but..... these doesnt help this time round. even with doc's medication and jab, I still had diahhorea and vomitted the next 4 days. :sweat:

Wow... everyone here seems to be so exciting to go there, as for food hygiene definately not close to Singapore standard, So eating out at the Roadside stall might spoilt your holiday. Is best to eat at cafe or if not mall though road side stall is nice, Try Jagung bakar " BBQ corn" or rojak could be easily found along Kuta beach.
For more adventurous one, could try to eat Dog meat which could be easily find ard Kintamani area.
A Must go is rafting try to look for one that travel Ayung river.

Lastly Seafood at Jimbaran is a Must for BBQ FOOD lover.

xhui said:
Ah, your suggestions are always so helpful! :) Will take all these down and plan my places to visit accordingly. Thanks for the heads up on the travelling time for Jatiluwih. Time is definitely not on my side for this trip. oh well.

Will also make a look out for Pacung and the padi terraces, and hopefully i'm able to capture something beautiful (now if only my skills are able to catch up to the scenery! :bsmilie: )

Thanks ZerocoolAstra! Hope this thread can also serves as a good place for others who's visiting or thinking of visiting Bali as well!! :thumbsup:

If anyone has been on those day trips which seem to cover many many things in such a short time, please do share if the experience was a good one (i.e. was it too hectic, rushed, etc)
I'm genuinely amazed at how much they can squeeze into a day's worth of travelling.

Lastly Seafood at Jimbaran is a Must for BBQ FOOD lover.

i'm just surprise that all stalls in Jimbaran sells the same seafood. i.e. sotong, fish, jumbo prawn, clam and lobster. And they are not 'live', not swimming in the tank. Seemed like all are frozen seafood?

Most of the stalls in Jimbaran are particularly quiet except one stall by the name Mengla. Mengla was full house while the rest of the stalls keep flagging at you to patronise them. Seeing that, of cos i went to Mengla too... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

hahahaha I just went to the one that my driver brought me to. Obviously he got a cut, or at least a free meal.
No loss to me, so... why not?

Thought might as well list out my gears i'm bringing to Bali for my 4D3N trip :

50D (still thinking if i shld bring my grip)
10-22 (or tokina 11-16 f/2.8)
24-105 f/4
50 f/1.8

CPL, GND, ND filters
3 8GB CF cards
At least 3 batteries (might not bring charger)
Tripod
--------

Don't think flash is much useful right? Hmm, also can't imagine myself flashing at people :bsmilie:

Now i'm quite worried about bringing tripod as i'm travelling on budget air, all lugguage is handcarry no check in, hopefully my tripod can pass through.. :sweat:

Last edited:
xhui said:
Thought might as well list out my gears i'm bringing to Bali for my 4D3N trip :

50D (still thinking if i shld bring my grip)
10-22 (or tokina 11-16 f/2.8)
24-105 f/4
50 f/1.8

CPL, GND, ND filters
3 8GB CF cards
At least 3 batteries (might not bring charger)
Tripod
--------

Don't think flash is much useful right? Hmm, also can't imagine myself flashing at people :bsmilie:

Now i'm quite worried about bringing tripod as i'm travelling on budget air, all lugguage is handcarry no check in, hopefully my tripod can pass through.. :sweat:

Why do you own 10-22 and 11-16? That's kinda overkill, don't you think?
I think your ultra-wides will be used most of the time. 24-105 is a great lens.... for a FF camera :) On a 50D, you'll probably need to pair it with a wider lens.
The 50/1.8 might be redundant in this case, though it's really small and of negligible weight. Worth it to bring.

Grip... should not be necessary. It's quite bulky.

I carried my tripod on the plane. No questions asked.

Why do you own 10-22 and 11-16? That's kinda overkill, don't you think?
I think your ultra-wides will be used most of the time. 24-105 is a great lens.... for a FF camera :) On a 50D, you'll probably need to pair it with a wider lens.
The 50/1.8 might be redundant in this case, though it's really small and of negligible weight. Worth it to bring.

Grip... should not be necessary. It's quite bulky.

I carried my tripod on the plane. No questions asked.

ha, because i'm in transition (still waiting to see if my 11-16 will arrive). but will be letting go of either lens after i do some comparisons. ;p

my 24-105 will be paired with one of those UWA, so i think that's the best combinations :p i do love the extra reach with my 24-105 and of course the IS that comes with it.

that's a relief to hear on the tripod being on board without much trouble.

The reason for the grip is i've only the E1 handstrap attached with no neck strap (i removed e stock ones) and was thinking if i shld whip out my Rapid strap on a trip like this.. :think:

of course those vertical shots made easy with a BG.

ha, because i'm in transition (still waiting to see if my 11-16 will arrive). but will be letting go of either lens after i do some comparisons. ;p

my 24-105 will be paired with one of those UWA, so i think that's the best combinations :p i do love the extra reach with my 24-105 and of course the IS that comes with it.

that's a relief to hear on the tripod being on board without much trouble.

The reason for the grip is i've only the E1 handstrap attached with no neck strap (i removed e stock ones) and was thinking if i shld whip out my Rapid strap on a trip like this.. :think:

of course those vertical shots made easy with a BG.

Shots in portrait orientation with battery grip = easy
Carrying the extra grip around in your camera bag = NOT easy :)

Oh, you were asking about flash too.
I brought my small SB400 along. It came in useful when I needed fill flash, shooting group photo against the bright sky.

Shots in portrait orientation with battery grip = easy
Carrying the extra grip around in your camera bag = NOT easy :)

Oh, you were asking about flash too.
I brought my small SB400 along. It came in useful when I needed fill flash, shooting group photo against the bright sky.

haa. true, esp when i'm just a gal, i do complain when i've to lug the tripod already :bsmilie: maybe should remove the grip this time!

yeah.. tho i did thought of just using the built in flash for fills.. but need diffuser ha! :sweatsm:

anyway thanks for sharing your advice! ;)

I had the Babi Guling Ibu Oka in Ubud and fell seriously ill that night. Kena diarrhoea non stop for the next 2 days. :(

Oh dear. Mabbe the batch chillies was not prepared properly?

Anyway, I enjoyed mine, and would recommend it as well...

IMG_5738w.jpg

I spent 3D3N and only cover Ubud, Bedugul and Mt Batur. It was a beachless Bali trip :)
As mentioned by someone, if you like greenery, check out Ubud :
http://blog.roving-light.com/2009/12/ubud-bali.html

And if you want a little exercise, climb up Mt Batur!
http://blog.roving-light.com/2009/12/mount-batur-bali.html

Bali is big, so please enjoy slowly :)

Oh dear. Mabbe the batch chillies was not prepared properly?

Anyway, I enjoyed mine, and would recommend it as well...

IMG_5738w.jpg

I spent 3D3N and only cover Ubud, Bedugul and Mt Batur. It was a beachless Bali trip :)
As mentioned by someone, if you like greenery, check out Ubud :
http://blog.roving-light.com/2009/12/ubud-bali.html

And if you want a little exercise, climb up Mt Batur!
http://blog.roving-light.com/2009/12/mount-batur-bali.html

Bali is big, so please enjoy slowly :)

wah.. that does look real tasty :bigeyes:

yea, goto decide and think abit if i wanna give some slack to my itinerary or to pack them back to back. can't wait! :sweatsm: