Bali-Uluwatu Sunset

ck2210

Nov 9, 2007
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and how effective the photo tell the story
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To bring out the beauty of sunset
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Nikon D7000, 16 mm, ISO 160, 1/125 sec, f13, 0 EV,
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
How to improve the shoot to tell a story

DSC_0752.jpg

I'm no pro, but just my observation :)
- blown highlights
- image is soft/low contrast
- colors are dead
- composition wise, I think it would've been good to set whatever structure is that on the 1/3 from the left and 1/3 from the bottom, this would also crop out the other guy in white on the left side

Sorry to say this is a very bad attempt, at one glance, I can't tell this is Uluwatu or Ulubatu, you have to at least show us the famous cliff, that aside, the sunset mood is also not dramatic enought to impress the audience.....but pls don't be let down by my word, keep shooting and keep watching how other people shoot, I am sure one day you will be able to achive what you imagine :p

Framing:
I find the framing unappealing IMO, you might want to find a better vantage point and use the rule of thirds as a guide.

Exposure:
There's high dynamic range between the foreground and background, hence u may wish to meter the sky to prevent blowup skies and show the yolk/ perform exposure blending / attach a gnd.

composition: what do u wanna show? i guess it should the sky the structure and perhaps abit of scenery. Need to learn how to present and compose your pic so all these are reflected clear

exposure: clearly overexposed that u cant see anything but the sky. Perhaps using HDR or GND filter can help. Need to learn how to use your gears.

Personally i will take a wider shot. Make the sky and the sunset the main object. The other things will be secondary. This can help ensure a more clear msg/story in your pic.

just my 2 cent worth...

thks. Will try better again