Bali Trip May 10 to 13

Whitestallion

Feb 18, 2011
JB and Singapore
Hi all. As the topic suggests, my family and me will be visiting Bali. Our first time there, but only for a few days. Can I ask for suggestions of places that we must visit for good food and photography? Any useful info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bali - a lot places.
Are you on free and easy? Then you can choose to rent a car or hire a driver, the latter is done by most people.

Pura luhur uluwatu - famous sunset, also famous for monkey, beware they will snatch your glasses, jewelries, etc..
Tanah lot - another sunset,
Ubud - rice terrace and art market
Danu Brathan - the temple as shown on the back of Indonesian 50k notes

Hi. Yes we are on free and easy. Plan to hire a van and driver. Thanks for your suggestions! And good food places?

Hiring a driver is affordable. Save all the trouble if going with a family. Most of them are nice and use a 7-seater. Can PM me if you want the contact of the driver we hired last time.

For nice food,
Ibu Oka Babi Guling
Naughty Nuri BBQ Ribs
Dirty Ducks

Mt. Batur for the volcano view, normally come with buffet lunch where you eat and look at the scene, food are ok.
Jimbaran beach for sunset and seafood, the seafood are so so, we end up enjoying the BBQ corn sold from stalls at the beach more.

If family include kids, can go to the turtle island from Nusa Dua for photo with turtles, lizards, bat, hawks and other animals.

You can visit Tirtha Gangga, a park for the old king, Besakih, known as mother temple, and like Johnjon82 mentioned, can go to Mt Batur, great view and good food...Sharing my travelogue here for you to view as reference, this is just some places I went over there. there are more but I didn't cover those.

Kirk and Hayley's Travelogue: March 2012

Hi there, I will also be there around that time. From 11th to 16th May. I've been there a few times. To start with, Bali is very big. From 1 end to the ther end, will take 7 hours on the road. So you can imagine there are many places to go and truth is I will be happy to be in Bali for 2 months.

1) To start with, the main night life area is called Kuta. It is a belt of street shopping + eateries. Think Patong of Phuket. But I ca finish walking Patong in 1 night. You won't finish walking kuta in even 4 nights, at least I didn't. From Kuta to Legian(next district), the shops line up the roads till no ends. I think a round trip from Kuta to Legian(via coast) and u turn back via a a parallel lane is at least a 4km walk.

2) Foodwise, there are a few local delights. Babi Guling, ayam betutu, bebek betutu, and a few others. if you are the adventurous kind, there is a road full of local street food. I forgot the name but it is very near to the airport and right in Kuta. If you are the serious kind about eating the best...for eg...the best nasi campur in bali...the best of the best in Bali...then PM me and I'll drop you the details.

3) For photography..there are many places...to name a few...top of some volcanoes(mount batur, mount agung for sunrise).....Tanah lot..jimbaran for sun set etc.. You see, all these places are not 5 mins drive but hours and far apart so you can only cover that much a day. Basically, the driver(if you are booking them for the whole day) will recommend you to group a few places/activities together because those are along the same way)

4) Jimbaran is a famous seafood place where they tables are line up on the beaches overlooking the entire indian ocean(i think so). So very improtant, be there before sunset because that's really the thing you're going there for. Food wise is ok, very expensive if you are not careful. If you want to know how ex..not as expensive as in Singapore but its almost double of what we can find in JB. If you must try...skip their recommendation and ask them send you to this restaurant called damos cafe. Been a few restaurants there and this was recommended to me by my driver and is apparently the cheapest I've eaten there. Still...pick your seafood carefully and let them weigh in front of you so you know exactly how much you're paying for later.

5) There are many bogus money changer there...easy to spot. Their rates are astronomically good. They will perform a trick and pull some notes back when they hand the $ to you. If you must change at these stall, have someone with you and make sure there are no commission charged and after you count the money and the amount is right, HOLD IT TIGHT IN YOUR HAND.

6) The resorts usually will have driver + car service. The market rate is around US$40 plus plus minus minus per day. Self drive car will cost around US$20 onwards. From memory US$10 is equivalent to IDR100K 2 years back, not sure about now.

Have fun!

Hi Nikonfanatic. You will be there for what purpose this time? With family members? Hahaha.. maybe can do a photowalk/drive. Your info is good for me/ I will try my best not to get in conned white there. LOL. Thanks again!

Hiring a driver is affordable. Save all the trouble if going with a family. Most of them are nice and use a 7-seater. Can PM me if you want the contact of the driver we hired last time.

For nice food,
Ibu Oka Babi Guling
Naughty Nuri BBQ Ribs
Dirty Ducks

Mt. Batur for the volcano view, normally come with buffet lunch where you eat and look at the scene, food are ok.
Jimbaran beach for sunset and seafood, the seafood are so so, we end up enjoying the BBQ corn sold from stalls at the beach more.

If family include kids, can go to the turtle island from Nusa Dua for photo with turtles, lizards, bat, hawks and other animals.

Looks like I might skip Uluwat to avoide my eyewear stolen! hahaha. Mt Batur seems to be highly suggested. Must go... Thanks!

You can visit Tirtha Gangga, a park for the old king, Besakih, known as mother temple, and like Johnjon82 mentioned, can go to Mt Batur, great view and good food...Sharing my travelogue here for you to view as reference, this is just some places I went over there. there are more but I didn't cover those.

Kirk and Hayley's Travelogue: March 2012

May I know Mt Batur for photos, what is the best time of the day to be there?

Hi Nikonfanatic. You will be there for what purpose this time? With family members? Hahaha.. maybe can do a photowalk/drive. Your info is good for me/ I will try my best not to get in conned white there. LOL. Thanks again!

I will be there with friends for holiday. If you like we can perhaps plan for some of the activities together on the 11th or 12th.

Looks like I might skip Uluwat to avoide my eyewear stolen! hahaha. Mt Batur seems to be highly suggested. Must go... Thanks!

images

Uluwatu has some nice cliffs. IF you're a sucker for these, then die die must go. For me, just a good walk. It's quite big. I think we did a 2 hour walk.

images

The scenery where you can see mount batur is kintamani. The food is normal for me. Imagine buffet openly served at around 18deg. I'll just have a coconut to enjoy the view.

To climb mount batur will be another thing. It's a 2-3 hours long steep trek up trails made of pebbles. The fruit will be to witness an egg yolk at 6am out of no where. The interesting part is also our guide will bring eggs to cook for us using volcano water at the top. Although it's a 2-3 hour trek up, the down takes longer as it is more dangerous. All it all took us around 12 hours to and back. The pick up was at 1am and we reached out resort back at around 12pm.

May I know Mt Batur for photos, what is the best time of the day to be there?

If you want to see kintamani, it's best to reach there in the afternoon and it make sense to group ubud together because it is along the way. But if you are talking about taking photos on top of Mt Batur, then the trek starts at 1am.

I see. Problem is I have a baby tagging along. So I think I cant do those long walks lor..

not really long walk la

and for uluwatu just wear disposable contacts, if dun have just be aware of your surroundings.

the monkey usually strike those not paying attention.

Last edited:
Well i can give a contact of a guide in bail... Charges very very reasonable n a friendly guy as well... Juz tell him wat u wan and he will arrange everything for u... If u wan the contact do pm me

travisjds said:
Well i can give a contact of a guide in bail... Charges very very reasonable n a friendly guy as well... Juz tell him wat u wan and he will arrange everything for u... If u wan the contact do pm me

Yes. That will be helpful. Thanks.

whats your guides price? I also have regular guide as i go every year. just wanna compare maybe cheaper can switch. haha

Die Die Must EAT:
- Bebek Tepi Sawah @ Ubud
- Bebek Betutu @ Gilimanuk
- Naughty Nuri @ Seminyak (their original stall is at Ubud, but the Seminyak branch is less dirty and has more seats)
- Nasi Pedas Ibu Andhika @ Kuta, near Police station (it's a roadside stall, damn spicy. Avoid this is you are a very hygienic person)

Nice thread, a lot of information sharing. We'll b heading to Bali sometime this year too (hopefully) so thanks for sharing guys!

Last edited: