Bali Trip from 11 May to 17 May

DJ9900

Oct 5, 2004
Yew Tee
Need some advice for my Bali trip from 11 to 17 May. I will be hiring a driver for 10 to 12 hours
(a) Any hotel to recommend to stay in Sanur whereby it is near the fisherman activity?
(b) Any problem getting a taxi in the Airport at 10pm in Bali to our hotel?
(c) Any temple to visit for Wesak day whereby there are ceremony or procession to photograph?
(d) Any hotel to recommend to stay in Ubud and Kuta?
(e) Is the itinerary OK or too pack?
(f) Any recommendation for lunch along the way for each day?
(g) Any recommendation for place to visit along the way for each day?

Many thanks in advance

Day 1 – Arrive in Bali at 2115 hr and straight to the hotel in Sanur
Day 2 – Hotel stay at Sanur
Sunrise photography at Sanur, Denpasar city tour, Dreamland beach and Uluwatu (Kecek dance)
Day 3 – Hotel stay at Ubud (Wesak Day)
Tegalalang, Tirta Tempul, Kintamani (Lunch), Bersakih temple and Ubud Palace
Day 4 – Hotel stay at Ubud
Ulu Danu Beratan (Sunrise), Jatiluwah, Tukad Unda Dam and Puri Lukisan
Day 5 – Hotel stay at Ubud
Tirta Ganga, Goa Gajah, Batubulan village (Barong & Keris dance), Jimbaran (sunset)
Day 6 – Hotel stay at Kuta
Sunrise photography at Kuta, Pupuan and Tanah Lot (Sunset)
Day 7 – Hotel stay at Kuta
Sunrise photography at Jimbaran
Flight depart at 1455 hr

Last edited:
I think you need the help of a guide or travel agent. A good bet is to look up hotel reviews in tripadvisor and/or agoda.

No problems with taxi at the airport. But how are you going to travel to the different locations? If you are getting a car and driver, might as well arrange for airport pickup as well.

Many many great hotels in Bali, ranging from budget to 6 star. You have to make your own choices.

Your itinerary looks good. Just the following points...

1. Jimbaran is good for sunset not sunrise.
2. Big Waisak celebration is not in Bali. Bali is predominantly Hindu.
3. At least try out Babi Guling (roast suckling pig) in Ubud. Ibu Oka is the best.
4. One of the best things to do in Bali is to kick back relax and just enjoy the slow life there. Have a coffee in Ubud streets, hang out along the beaches of kuta or seminyak. just Chill... Don't have to chiong chiong all the time.

I think you need the help of a guide or travel agent. A good bet is to look up hotel reviews in tripadvisor and/or agoda.

No problems with taxi at the airport. But how are you going to travel to the different locations? If you are getting a car and driver, might as well arrange for airport pickup as well.

Many many great hotels in Bali, ranging from budget to 6 star. You have to make your own choices.

Your itinerary looks good. Just the following points...

1. Jimbaran is good for sunset not sunrise.
2. Big Waisak celebration is not in Bali. Bali is predominantly Hindu.
3. At least try out Babi Guling (roast suckling pig) in Ubud. Ibu Oka is the best.
4. One of the best things to do in Bali is to kick back relax and just enjoy the slow life there. Have a coffee in Ubud streets, hang out along the beaches of kuta or seminyak. just Chill... Don't have to chiong chiong all the time.

Thanks for the feedback, Initially wanted to go on the 3rd week of May for the Galungan Festival but due to work constraint not able to go during that week. I was actually hoping there are some form of procession and ceremony on Wesak Day.

As mentioned earlier, I will engage a driver/car for each day for about 10 to 12 hour at IDR 500,000. I will ask him to pick us up at the airport for the first day. Thanks for the advice.

As Sanur has a very long beach, I just want to stay at a hotel that are near to the fisherman activities for the sunrise photography.

I am more concern for food during lunch as I am not sure any restaurant along the way for some of the days based on my itinerary. Hopefully my driver can recommend to me.

I am more concern for food during lunch as I am not sure any restaurant along the way for some of the days based on my itinerary. Hopefully my driver can recommend to me.

If you get the driver to recommend, you will end up eating in tourist traps. and the driver gets a good commission.

I'm also going to Bali. Looking for a driver cum guide who knows about photography. Came across this Balifriend.com. Charges seem a little high but still affordable. Any one used their service before?

As mentioned earlier, I will engage a driver/car for each day for about 10 to 12 hour at IDR 500,000. I will ask him to pick us up at the airport for the first day. Thanks for the advice.

remember if you start before sunrise and end after sunset, it will be more than 12 hours. lake beratan is far from denpasar, if your driver stays at denpasar, he must leave denpasar around 3am.

for food, you can check local food bloggers, i'm quite surprise so many reviews on bali foods.

dun forget to bring some activated charcoal, in case of food poisoning. i got food poisoning when i ate suckling pig in denpasar (could be from the ice also), ruined 2 days of my trip and sleepless night. try to find cleaner place to eat and drink hot tea/coffee (avoid ice).

remember if you start before sunrise and end after sunset, it will be more than 12 hours. lake beratan is far from denpasar, if your driver stays at denpasar, he must leave denpasar around 3am.

for food, you can check local food bloggers, i'm quite surprise so many reviews on bali foods.

Thanks oceanpriest. I am aware of the 12 hours issue for sunrise/sunset. My itinerary is planned in such a way to avoid this problem by either staying near the place that I want to take sunrise shot (Day 2) or the day will end early / start late if I go for sunrise / sunset shot (Day 4 & 5).

My only problem is Day 6 as I understand that it is best to go early to Pupuan for morning shot and yet I have to end my day late for sunset shot in Tanah Lot. Do anybody has any idea in May will the padi field be green, yellow or fill with water. Can Bro/Sis here suggest any good place to shot for Pupuan and Jatiluwah?

Last edited:
dun forget to bring some activated charcoal, in case of food poisoning. i got food poisoning when i ate suckling pig in denpasar (could be from the ice also), ruined 2 days of my trip and sleepless night. try to find cleaner place to eat and drink hot tea/coffee (avoid ice).

Thanks for the info on food.

Do take into consideration that the traffic can get quite busy at evening time.