Bali Trip Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansenhon

May 29, 2009
Hi All,

I will be travelling to Bali coming December. I was wondering if I should bring a light weight tripod along (for scenery taking) ? Please advice

Thank you

[Moderator ~ is this the right place to post this question?? Thank you]

I went to Bali last month with my tripod. never regret i bring it. It will be useful for group photo too

I went to Bali last month with my tripod. never regret i bring it. It will be useful for group photo too

how light is your tripod? Because i'm going to source for a tripod (currently not own any). Looking at particular brand now actually.

If you want to take sunset/sunrise/twilight landscape shots, you will definitely need a tripod.
Go Tanah Lot, Dreamland beach, or Karma Kandala beach for the best sunsets. Don't know where for sunrise, I cbb waking up early.

actually beside bringing a tripod.. do you guys/gals think that 2 x 4GB memory card is sufficient for average photographers??

Was thinking if I should get another 4GB (or 8GB compact flash card)..

Also, is 2 battery will be enough who whole day photo taking??

Last edited:
didnt declare....n never heard this issue from my frens that went there before

Bali customs are ok compared to other non-tourist airports.

Generally if you bring tourist things its ok unless of course you start bringing 5 SLRs that do not show signs of use.

also, becareful of money changers, normally the trusted ones are those who sub-let within a reputable convenience store. even those, make sure you check and recheck and ask them for a printout.

Beware of the convenience store too, SEE and CALCULATE your total before going to the cashier, sometimes they double-triple scan or sometimes scan expensive items. ASK and INSIST for a receipt. If they don't, tell them its their company policy to issue receipts (chain convenience store like Circle K, Orange, etc)

need be, pretend to write down the email/phone number that is written on the cashier (its in indonesian but that's the complains hotline.).

how light is your tripod? Because i'm going to source for a tripod (currently not own any). Looking at particular brand now actually.

mine is juz a cheap tripod. not recommend if got strong wind.:)

Change your money only at your hotel or at this chain of money changers called PT Kuta Central, this was advised by a Bali dive operator to my dive group.

make sure you bring all your lens which cover all range and at least one with 1.8 aperture.

sigh... i do not have good lens.. have to live with my kit lens at the moment... looking to get a tripod for this trip... Guess I will invest heavily on Gitzo (GT1541T or GT0541 in my mid now)...

Planning to get 24-70 f2.8L in future... (recommend by a friend)

Another thing is that, if 2 x 4GB compact flash card sufficient for my 4D3N trips?

Last edited:
I copy this from Tyho on other thread

Bali tourists warned to get rabies vaccine
Deborah Cassrels in Denpasar, Bali | September 28, 2009
Article from: The Australian
TOURISTS are advised to have rabies vaccinations before arriving in Bali after three deaths from dog bites in the past month.
Tabanan is the latest area to be struck by the rabies epidemic, following neighbouring Denpasar and the Badung Regency, which includes the popular destinations of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak.
The head of the rabies control team at Sanglah public hospital, Raka Sudewi, advised tourists to avoid the area because local hospitals had exhausted their stocks of the post-exposure rabies vaccine.
Jakarta has been unable to provide vaccine supplies.
"We have 50 to 60 new suspected cases every day at Sanglah Hospital," she said.
Ten locals from Badung have died from rabies since November. Following the recent deaths in Tabanan, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade warned travellers to avoid contact with dogs, cats, monkeys and other animals.
SOS International, one of two hospitals catering to foreigners in Kuta, said yesterday it had no post-exposure vaccine stocks and had pre-exposure vaccine for only one or two people.
The Bali International Medical Centre said yesterday it had supplies of only the slow-acting pre-exposure vaccination, Verorab, which was not effective after exposure.
In an effort to control the virus in Bali, AusAid has ploughed $850,000 into an animal vaccination program, of which $500,000 was provided to the WHO in July for dog vaccines, collars and tags. A further $250,000 will be provided through the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research to strengthen surveillance and outbreak responses.
Bali has received 80,000 doses of animal rabies vaccine from Jakarta. But as the mass inoculation of dogs, cats and monkeys across the island gets under way, the campaign is not without controversy.
Some of Bali's thousands of street dogs are being put down with strychnine-laced food and poisoned darts, raising the ire of the Australian-funded Bali Animal Welfare Association.
"This is a horrific way to die. It's inhumanely destroying dogs. Euthanasia is not WHO-accepted," said BAWA founder Janice Girardi. She claimed that in the past two weeks 1000 stray dogs had been killed with strychnine-laced sausages and meatballs. It was also endangering human lives.
Last week, a man was taken to Tabanan Hospital after eating a sausage laced with poison to kill dogs. He was later discharged.

Stay away from Ubud's Monkey forest for the time being...

sigh... i do not have good lens.. have to live with my kit lens at the moment... looking to get a tripod for this trip... Guess I will invest heavily on Gitzo (GT1541T or GT0541 in my mid now)...

Planning to get 24-70 f2.8L in future... (recommend by a friend)

Another thing is that, if 2 x 4GB compact flash card sufficient for my 4D3N trips?

I did not own CF. I would like to ask you back
1. How large is a biggest jpeg file of 50D? (Not raw)
2. Do you shoot raw?
3. From your previous trip, how many photos you usually took per day?

Status
Not open for further replies.