Bali - recommended lenses

Castor Troy

Oct 28, 2009
Any recommendations for lenses on a photographic trip to Bali?
And any places to see?
I'll be heading to Tanah Lot and will be bringing my Nikon D750 and 24-120/4 VR and SB-300 with me.
Is the 24-70/2.8VR worth the upgrade?
Any other lens recommendations?
I have the 14-24/2.8 but it's in KL right now...

It depends on what exactly you intend to shoot. That is a good enough travel lens for general photography at Bali... There is no need to buy a f2.8 lens just for this trip (unless it meets a specific need)
Ensure you are able to take some shots on auto-bracketing as well if you want to try post processing into HDR. Suggest to also take a few shots to stitch in a panorama. Bali has gorgeous views.

just go and enjoy your trip. use what u have. but i would consider adding a prime such as 50 f1.8

Agree with ijnek to bring along a 50mm prime. However, my consideration is to have it as a back-up lens. I too have the 24-120. On 2 overseas trips the lens either had a malfunctioned motor or got damaged when I accidentally dropped it. My 50mm saved the day!

If landscapes is what you are after, might be better to bring along an ultrawide lens. The landscapes at Tanah Lot area including pura batu bolong is wonderful.

Went for the Bali trip.
Pretty disappointing as the place is completely overdeveloped with big crowds and heavy traffic.
Used only the 24-120/4 VR. In fact hardly used the wide end as needed to zoom in often to crop out the crowds, manmade concrete structures, etc...
Travelling 50km needs 2 hours+ at 10am+ on Monday.
Would I return? Not likely....

I don't use Nikon, but focal lengths are generic to photography.
24mm to 70mm is quite the generic workhorse and will cover most stuff.

I usually go for a UWA (14mm to 20mm), a wide (28mm to 35mm), a normal (50mm) and a short tele.
Sometimes I just skip one of the lenses.

I did Bali twice.
Different lenses for each trip, but stuck to the UWA, wide, normal or UWA, Normal, short tele format with lenses.
IMO, its a gem with many places for landscapes and people/candid shots.

Link to the 2014 and 016 trip with some kakis
https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/bali-the-island-with-thousand-temple-may-2014.1411158/
https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/bali-2016.1614940/

Last edited:
Beautiful shots!
I have a Pentax K1 too, but didn't have access to it on this trip...
Lovely cameras - both the D750 and the K1