Bali : Is it safe to carry DSLR to walk around?

hoonming

Jan 12, 2006
Singapore
Hi forumers,

Am going Bali for the first time, is it safe to carry DSLR to walk around?

Kindly enlighten me, thank you very much!

Every places has it's danger of getting robbed. Just have to see your chances.

Anyway, i wonder if bali have any great shooting grounds.:cheers:

Hi forumers,

Went Bali last December for 6D5N. Generally I feel quite safe walking around with DSLR. The local are very friendly, no interest in robbing you... There are few instances I left my DSLR inside the car, nothing happen, in other countries gone case with shattered window already. Be careful of the monkeys near the temple and monkey forest though, they will grab your things if you don't hold it tight.

Try to dig out the old thread in this section regarding Bali, fellow CSers went and recommended few places to shoot. Rice terrace, temples, sun set, the volcano, few lakes, their culture and architecture. I hired a driver for the trip, he quite good, PM me if you want the driver's contact. Don't recommend driving yourself, the road is very narrow and a lot of motorcycles coming from no where.

Bali is very safe. But try to avoid terrorists. ;)

BTW Australia just issued an advisory on Bali - "bets not to go" or something to that effect. But I think only applies to westerners who are often the main targets.

Bali is full of tourist everywhere,
everyone else is carrying a DSLR.

Yes.. it is definitely safe over there.

yup pretty safe
i lugged my dslr around without a bag in ubud and nothing happened

Bali is very safe. But try to avoid terrorists. ;)

BTW Australia just issued an advisory on Bali - "bets not to go" or something to that effect. But I think only applies to westerners who are often the main targets.

that means tourists areas, whether u are a westerner or what if you are in the radius that's it.

Anyway just take precaution whenever you are overseas.

hoonming said:
Hi forumers,

The only thing that was stolen was a pair of specs I wore while shooting a monkey. Those trained rascals sneaked behind me at Uluwatu, grabbed my specs, and an old uncle came demanding for money.

If you don't give, the monkey will thrash your specs, and if you do, the uncle gives the monkey a packet of peanuts and you get back the specs.

Fancy getting mugged by a monkey :S

Bali is ok, just stick to the tourist areas. There are more Ang mohs and u feel safer with them.

I did carry my DSLR and walk around alone on the streets. As u know, no one walks on streets but I was the only one walking around alone, and got a few curious stares.

The trick is that always walk against the traffic direction so that u can see bikes and cars coming in front of u.

When I feel some ppl are walking or following behind, I will get into the nearest shop or stand at some corner, to let whoever walk past me.

Just be more alert and will be ok.

I would say of all the places at Indonesia, Bali is the safest place and the local Balinese there are friendly.
Those that usually do all these robbing and mugging are people from neighboring Island.

In any cases just be alert.

Thank you so much for all your reply. :)

Bali felt quite safe to me. In the touristy places, lots of people carrying DSLRs and I didn't hear of any muggings. But then again there's no such thing as "definitely safe", so it always pays to be cautious.

For more info on Bali, can check out THIS thread.

cheers