Bali - A mini travel series from 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

w.s

Mar 15, 2004
Singapore
was in Bali last december. the weather isnt exactly photography friendly... anyway, here's the first of the series. more will come as i edit them bit by bit...

thanks for viewing:)

55157196.jpg

Along the beach of Legian, north of Kuta Beach, I found offerings scattered around certain areas along the beach. There were fruits, food, incense, even ruppiahs. At the point when I was taking this photo, it never occurred to me that this was a daily ritual. Memories of the deadly bombing flooded my mind.

the album link can be found here...
http://www.pbase.com/feldberyl/bali_2005

edited: added comments

v intersting shot.............

two more along the same stretch of beach at Legian...

55159394.jpg

55159395.jpg

While taking a walk along Legian beach, I spotted something moving some distance away. I thought it was a HUGE crab. As I moved closer, I realized it's a chicken, caught in the waves. She looks sick, I hope she doesn't catch the flu bug.

edited: added comments

one painting, different interperations. i see a devil's portrait...

55181959.jpg

w.s said:
was in Bali last december. the weather isnt exactly photography friendly... anyway, here's the first of the series. more will come as i edit them bit by bit...

thanks for viewing:)

55157196.jpg

the album link can be found here...
http://www.pbase.com/feldberyl/bali_2005

EXCELLENTE!!!!! :thumbsup:

great stuff man..

Pix 1 is unique but a tad hard to perceive.
Pix 2 is better if w/o that person and hoz straighten
Pix3 reminds me of "bird flu".;) . is it a sacrifice??
Overall, u do hv a unique style.:thumbsup: quite similar to sniperD

actually I feel that #2 wouldn't work without the person in the b/g to give the dimensions of scale/ perspective and depth :)

the feel is great coz itz dramatic and tells a good story in relation to what happened to Bali only recently also.

WS: relate the story of the chicken leh.. haha.. that's an excellent shot also :D

hi guys, thanx for the comments:) really appreciate it.

i'm not exactly good with words... but heck, i've added those comments tht i had in my pbase gallery.

for pic 1, i could have put a caption "misinterperation" based on the thoughts tht led to the shot. but i tot it would be even more abstract if u din know the whole story:)

for pic 2, the person was planned for. i was waiting for him to walk across the scene... y? i just feel tht he'd fit into wht i wanted.

for pic 3, it was a surprise, i wun expect a chicken by the beach. i went pretty close with a 17mm... after the shot, i tot to myself... better monitor for signs of avian flu. why, how, where did it come from, i have no idea. but i dun think it's a sacrifice...

for pic 4, did anyone see the devil? my colleagues who can't see it... says... only evil ppl can see the devil:p kekeke

as my journey along the beach continues...

55181957.jpg

As I was walking down the beach, we crossed each other's path and picked up a conversation.

CZ: hey, nice camera u have there.
me: oh, can I have a photo of you then?

A pensioner on holidays from CZ. He mentioned that things are much more expensive here, compared to Thailand, which I kind of agree. Probably still not used to spending 50k for a simple meal in a restaurant.

55181958.jpg

Further down the beach towards Kuta, I saw 3 teenagers doing their breakdance routine on the beach. So I stopped, took aim with my camera. But when they saw me, they too, stopped and waved at me, posing for a photo. I realized only later that I was greeted with an international hand sign, not sure if that's in fashion now.

pix 2,IMHO
For a good photo sake..ok to hv that person for scale and perspective
For a good meaningful photo.. prefer not to,the sacrifices coverge toward him.

I prefer to keep it empty as sacrifices toward the sky.
Nice photo can have no meaning and meaningful photos might not
be nice under the photog thumb of rules.

Again, this is personal intp. and pref . Good sharing of indv.pref.:)

hey hosea, thanx for sharing ur thoughts:)

i think it's just different ways of interperating the photos. i see tht u got the idea of the pic already:)

the water looks smooth and soften. wonder what setting did u use for #2, cam, lens, filter, ISO, Fstop, shutter duration, etc?

i also like #3. wonder if the chicken is part of the offering. amused.

As I strolled down the beach...

55216792.jpg

There were just so many activities on the beach. It seems that these guys are undergoing some sort of training, I didn't try to find out. It's a funny sight though, watching a dozen of nicely toned bodies running in synchronized fashion up and down the beach.

55292143.jpg

Patterns of volcanic ash

55329920.jpg

Lazy morning at Legian beach. It's not a usual sight, at least not for me, to see someone riding a horse along the beach. The activity and dressing just did not blend into the surrounding of Legian beach. Something out of the blue.

w.s said:
As I strolled down the beach...
55329920.jpg

Lazy morning at Legian beach. It's not a usual sight, at least not for me, to see someone riding a horse along the beach. The activity and dressing just did not blend into the surrounding of Legian beach. Something out of the blue.

think he lost his way :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.