balancing btw teleconverter and digital zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

song

Feb 23, 2002
homex.coolconnect.com
Hi,

I have budget constraints. So if can forgo a little bit of quality for extra zoom without teleconverter, then i would choose it.

I reckon that there are 2 ways to get a close shot without a teleconverter.

First, take one at max optical zoom and then crop it. But then the picture mpixel would drop by more than 1/2. And i am thinking of printing it out in A4 size

The second method is to use digital zoom. The interpolation might make the pic bad. However, it can retain the pic mpixel so that printing is good on A4.

So the question is what is your opinion on which option to choose thinking i am using c4040z (4mP) and need to print large size pic..???

optical zoom
max_optical_zoom

max digital zoom
max_digital_zoom

Hi,

I have budget constraints. So if can forgo a little bit of quality for extra zoom without teleconverter, then i would choose it.

First, take one at max optical zoom and then crop it. But then the picture mpixel would drop by more than 1/2. And i am thinking of printing it out in A4 size

The second method is to use digital zoom. The interpolation might make the pic bad. However, it can retain the pic mpixel so that printing is good on A4.

So the question is what is your opinion on which option to choose thinking i am using c4040z (4mP) and need to print large size pic..???

optical zoom
max_optical_zoom

max digital zoom
max_digital_zoom

Hi,

optical zoom
max_optical_zoom

max digital zoom
max_digital_zoom

Originally posted by song
Hi,

optical zoom
max_optical_zoom

max digital zoom
max_digital_zoom

Consumer digicam interpolation is probably not very good. You'll probably be better off cropping in PhotoShop, and using a software like Genuine Fractals, etc to interpolate it back to the original size. Of course, if you over crop, then you are going to lose a lot of quality by interpolation, in-camera or otherwise.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Consumer digicam interpolation is probably not very good. You'll probably be better off cropping in PhotoShop, and using a software like Genuine Fractals, etc to interpolate it back to the original size. Of course, if you over crop, then you are going to lose a lot of quality by interpolation, in-camera or otherwise.

Regards
CK

but what is the difference if the resizing in photoshop is using bicubic interpolation and the digicam also use the same method.
Would the result be the same since it is the same method of interpolation

Originally posted by song

but what is the difference if the resizing in photoshop is using bicubic interpolation and the digicam also use the same method.
Would the result be the same since it is the same method of interpolation

The interpolation algorithms for different cameras and photoshop are not necessary the same.

Merging all three threads due to cross-posting.

First and 2nd method are the same. If you want interpolation, you could do it with software as well.

i've heard that oly interpolation is rather impressive.... you can try taking at 3200 x xxxx (camera interpolation) and see if you like it.....

also try using a tripod for a more steady shot....

forget about digital zoom...... it's just cropping only, does not help with getting better results.....

remember if the 300ppi thumb of rule.....i.e. your digital camera can print superfine professional quality at
2272/300 = 7.57"
1704/300 = 5.68"

i.e. 7.57" x 5.68" anything larger are interpolated and quality is compromised...... having say that, at 200ppi its still very good for most ppl..... so depends on your demand..... ask for help from fellow Clubsnapper working with film.......

you may need a 8.69MP camera for A4 size (8.26" x 11.69")..... probably 11MP since the ratio is different......

Status
Not open for further replies.