bak kwa prices CNY2014

Bak kwa has high chemical preservatives. Moderate eating once in a while is fine. But not too much.

Bak kwa has high chemical preservatives. Moderate eating once in a while is fine. But not too much.

I have stop eating Bak Kwa 5 years ago.

Save money as well as stay healthy :bsmilie:

I'm going to have only salads for the reunion dinner.

I'll start the dinner with a little prayer thanking the world for not starting another war, thanking Singapore for the security and and employment and lastly thanking my friends for being supportive.

That's the Bak Kwa of a good life.

Ha, so all the manufacturers are lying? ;p

The meat is then seasoned with their secret blend of 18 herbs. This again is surprising as my understanding was that the taste of Bak Kwa comes essentially from sugar and fish sauce. However the experts at Fragrance tell me that the main function of the herbs is to act as a natural preservative. As such, the company's policy is to make a product with all natural ingredients rather than to resort to chemicals to increase its shelf life. The herbs, I am told, also keeps the Bak Kwa soft and tender even after a few days and is one of the hallmarks of their Bak Kwa.

http://ieatishootipost.sg/2011/12/fragrance-berkshire-pork-bak-kwa-bak.html

Being our signature product, bakkwa taste better when it has just been grilled so we make it fresh every day as an unwavering commitment to our customers. The barbecued meat practice a set of unchanging principles to which we will always be dedicated to:-

- No added preservatives

- No added MSG

- No added artificial flavoring

- 100% natural ingredients

Have you ever wondered what secret ingredients gives Bak Kwa its special taste? You won't believe it if I told you. But according to the guys at Kim Joo Guan, there are only three ingredients in Bak Kwa. Pork, normal table sugar and your everyday fish sauce which you can pick up from the supermarket. Hard to imagine that fishsauce and sugar can produce that wonderful Bak Kwa flavour right? Oh yes, there is one more ingredient that a lot of stalls nowadays are omitting and that the the smoky flavour that you can only get if you grill the Bak Kwa over charcoal.

http://ieatishootipost.sg/2010/01/kim-joo-guan-bak-kua-bak-kwa-101.html

No idea.

A friend informed that most of the stuff is pre-made on an industrial scale beforehand, kept in freezers some time before each LNY season.
Then deep fried and cooked at factory.
Transported to shop sale site where they do grill some for display purpose or as a final touch up, while the long queue of customers wait.

has just been grilled so we make it fresh every day

Run the numbers through mentally. Few million people now in SG.

Say 1 million buy some packets each for their family.
If so much BBQ pork needs to be cooked from raw state to finished product slowly over the 3 feet diameter charcoal grille in the shops, how long does it take?
Is it possible to meet the peak demand by cooking that way?

Have no documentary evidence. However, use our common sense.

Last edited:
No idea.

A friend informed that most of the stuff is pre-made on an industrial scale beforehand, kept in freezers some time before each LNY season.

If so much BBQ pork needs to be cooked from raw state to finished product slowly over the 3 feet diameter charcoal grille in the shops, how long does it take?
Is it possible to meet the peak demand by cooking that way?

Based on this 'behind the scenes' feature, your friend's right about the mass production, freezing and preliminary preparation. So while it's definitely not 'fresh' in the sense that the meat was slaughtered that day, made on the spot in the shop, but fresh in the sense of 'freshly prepared' each day (probably in a central kitchen/HQ), and they try to 'prepare' it as much as they can beforehand, before finishing the process in the shops.
http://www.tnp.sg/content/making-bak-kwa-and-queueing-bak-kwa

I'm not much of a fan myself. Pretty bored of the taste, definitely going to pass this year. While the big outfits have their mass production in place, it doesn't necessarily mean that there must be anything sinister about the process involving 'high chemical preservatives'. I mean, that's what freezing is for. I suppose they'd meet the demand like bakeries making CNY goodies... and hire extra staff to cope. Anyway, it doesn't need to have chemical preservatives to be unhealthy ;p

It's just a piece of pork. Nothing special. Also quite expensive to eat. Unless free else I also hardly eat nowadays. Sian liao, like no different at all, haha!

It's just a piece of pork. Nothing special. Also quite expensive to eat. Unless free else I also hardly eat nowadays. Sian liao, like no different at all, haha!

Go and visit an auntie in CNY and you may get treated to some free Bak Kwa: :bsmilie:

images

I think she only makes halfmoon cakes for auntie killer like you. :bsmilie:

I am not auntie killer like fluffy Sion who is a master in cuddling up with the opposite gender... like baw kwa auntie or Starbuck XMM.... lol..... ;p