Bait and Switch in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

madeinkuching

Since I was visiting singapore, I was tasked to buy the S90 for a friend who's coming to visit, so I went down to SLS to get it.
I knew the market price was about 650-670, so I went around finding out which shop could offer me the best price.

Finally found a shop that offered it to me for 600. WOW!!! 600. that's a good price. So of course I said. 'Yes, can I try it. I want to buy it'. So the guy takes the camera down for me to try it. Strangely, I had to ask him once for a battery to put in, and a 2nd time for an SD card. Strangely, he had to change the battery when I asked for the SD card to test the camera. (anyone know why? The fake battery he put in at first would not work with an SD card).

After taking a couple of shots, I told the guy 'Yes, I want it. I'll buy it'. This is where it goes south. The guy didn't go pick up a S90 for me. He started asking me to try to LX3. He kept saying that the LX3 is better and since I wanted the S90, I should buy the LX3 instead. I was polite, but firm. 'No thanks, I'm buying the S90 for my friend, that's what he wants.'. He still didn't move to get the S90 for me. Instead he started saying that I need to buy a filter for the lens, then I should buy a wideangle lens for the camera. Since I've been reading CS for a while, I knew I should not agree to these items (and of course my friend only wanted the S90), I told him 'no thanks. I just want the camera. 600 right?'

Finally he moves to get the camera for me. He goes to the store opposite and godknows what he was doing there. I waited for a few mins before he finally returned with a colleague. His colleague informed me that the S90 was out of stock. "WHAT????" Then this colleague starts saying that there was only the display model left, and would I want to buy the LX3 which is 'better'.

So I asked when they will get stock. He said 'They will be in on Monday'.

Should I go back on Monday or are they wasting my time?

The shop is called HiV

Since I was visiting singapore, I was tasked to buy the S90 for a friend who's coming to visit, so I went down to SLS to get it.
I knew the market price was about 650-670, so I went around finding out which shop could offer me the best price.

Finally found a shop that offered it to me for 600. WOW!!! 600. that's a good price. So of course I said. 'Yes, can I try it. I want to buy it'. So the guy takes the camera down for me to try it. Strangely, I had to ask him once for a battery to put in, and a 2nd time for an SD card. Strangely, he had to change the battery when I asked for the SD card to test the camera. (anyone know why? The fake battery he put in at first would not work with an SD card).

After taking a couple of shots, I told the guy 'Yes, I want it. I'll buy it'. This is where it goes south. The guy didn't go pick up a S90 for me. He started asking me to try to LX3. He kept saying that the LX3 is better and since I wanted the S90, I should buy the LX3 instead. I was polite, but firm. 'No thanks, I'm buying the S90 for my friend, that's what he wants.'. He still didn't move to get the S90 for me. Instead he started saying that I need to buy a filter for the lens, then I should buy a wideangle lens for the camera. Since I've been reading CS for a while, I knew I should not agree to these items (and of course my friend only wanted the S90), I told him 'no thanks. I just want the camera. 600 right?'

Finally he moves to get the camera for me. He goes to the store opposite and godknows what he was doing there. I waited for a few mins before he finally returned with a colleague. His colleague informed me that the S90 was out of stock. "WHAT????" Then this colleague starts saying that there was only the display model left, and would I want to buy the LX3 which is 'better'.

So I asked when they will get stock. He said 'They will be in on Monday'.

Should I go back on Monday or are they wasting my time?

The shop is called HiV
You should avoid this shop like a virus. ;p

You have already said bait and switch so you know the "no stock" is just an excuse. The reason S90 is priced at $600 is because they bundled the over-priced filter and teleconverter as a package.

since you smell a rat why would you want to go back on monday?

why don't you pay marginally more from a reputable shop?

Hi TS.... sorry to hear about your bad experice shopping in S'pore.

Like the others said. Pay slightly more and get the item from more reputable shops. :thumbsup:

dun understand some ppl still tink there is free lunch in this world? :dunno:

if this SLS shop really selling at $600, it would be splashed all over CS and alot of ppl would have rushed down to get it.

the only way one can get S90 at that price is the Canon trade-in program. Trade in any Canon camera and get the S90 at $595. :)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5735933&postcount=736

when shops at SLS quoted you they might not include GST in hence you get those lower price which make you little happy and staying little longer. so when you about to pay a further 7% is being added in..........

quoting anything without GST and later when paying GST is being added in is a commercial crimes and some cases has been discuss here in CS too.

As for SLS there are only 2 shops which is quite reputatable, orient photo and Alan photo. dont bother to go to other shops.

this is famous tactics of SLS, even televised once.
they know you have done research and price comparison for the model you asked that is why they try to switch, cos they know you are not at least prepared with price comparison.
if they try switching pls just walk away. there is nothing like a shop waiting for more than 5 mins to check stock - should get out ASAP no need to say anything.
if they shouted at you, record the video and post it on youtube.

You should avoid this shop like a virus. ;p
Nice one.. :bsmilie:

You have already said bait and switch so you know the "no stock" is just an excuse. The reason S90 is priced at $600 is because they bundled the over-priced filter and teleconverter as a package.
It's always like that in SLS shops..
An old-school style in sales tactic..

I don't know why did CaseTrust not take these shops to task?? :dunno:

this is not the bait and switch. the bait and switch is when the sales guy shows u a working product, and when u pay for it, they gave u a defective one. u wont know the product has been switched until ur back home and opened up the box.

for this shop...its classic hard sell...:sweatsm:

go back on monday and ask the same thing again. tell him u want to buy the wide angle lens too. Once he take out a set of S90, then tell him you dun want the wide angle. This way he dun have excuse to say out of stock.

this is not the bait and switch. the bait and switch is when the sales guy shows u a working product, and when u pay for it, they gave u a defective one. u wont know the product has been switched until ur back home and opened up the box.

for this shop...its classic hard sell...:sweatsm:

That would be incorrect, although it sounds like what you're saying is what the term means... The actual meaning is in the post you quoted and more information available here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait_and_switch

go back on monday and ask the same thing again. tell him u want to buy the wide angle lens too. Once he take out a set of S90, then tell him you dun want the wide angle. This way he dun have excuse to say out of stock.
Even if they get the S90 out, they can always say they will only sell it as a package.

You also need to go there with two of your muscle guys just in case the scene gets ugly. ;p

Thanks for all the replies.
I didn't bother going down.
Truth be told, I've told my friend I wasn't able to get the camera for her.
I'd rather not go back to sim lim.

Status
Not open for further replies.