Bag to bring to overseas trip

chickenlittle21

Feb 26, 2009
Jurong
Hello all!

I've a question to ask, but i guess is more of preference, but still, i wanna receive inputs or maybe better ideas from you guys!

If u bring one body and 2 lens to overseas, will u recommend to bring a camera bag, or get a neoprene pouch for them so that u can dump them inside ur travel bag?

Thanks in advance! :)

*okay, to be exact, im thinking of bringing k100d with 18-55mm and 50-200mm :)

Last edited:
get neoprene. so u wont need so many bagsssss... gogogogo!

I am using this soi recommending it to you

home

can just get 2 of these slot it over the side of your belt and tada you are easily carrying 2 lens that are ready to be changed easily without hassle

I am using this soi recommending it to you

home

can just get 2 of these slot it over the side of your belt and tada you are easily carrying 2 lens that are ready to be changed easily without hassle

Hi thanks! But i cant view the picture..

ok can see this? neoprene pouch for camera and 2 of these one your belt and you are ready to go anywhere easily

tamrac-lens-case-pro100.gif

Last edited:
How about bag-in-a-bag?

Get a bag that's small - just enough to fit the cam and lens. Then put it in your travel bag. So when you reach your destination, you have a convenient carrier for you to go out and about with.

I like something like this:
http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-133-476.html

Good because:
- Doesn't scream "look, I have a camera, come try to steal it!"
- Padded insert can be removed so you can leave your equipment in the insert and move insert and equipment all to any other bag
- Taking the padded inserts out will also give you a normal bag for use

camera bag inside travel bag is what i normally do.

basically i think what can i get on location so i can pack minimally.

There's a quite a bit of this sort of threads from various sub sections of this forum that talks about bags? But I guess this one applies to Pentax Equipment since TS is talking about K100D + Dual Kit.

This was my first setup when I got Pentax back in 2005 (K100D + Dual Kit)! Back then I use the Photorunner from Lowepro. Fits everything in with blower, lenspen etc.

Personally, I prefer a camera bag, best if it's understated kind. I have a domke f-3x that looks like kiam chai so no one really takes a 2nd look -

3801083822_5e463a86bb_o.jpg

Neoprene is good too, just that I felt it's all jumbled up in the bag, and something very difficult to rampage through the bag when you start putting in your small umbrella, some visitors brochures, a light jacket, water bottle, passport etc.

How about bag-in-a-bag?

Get a bag that's small - just enough to fit the cam and lens. Then put it in your travel bag. So when you reach your destination, you have a convenient carrier for you to go out and about with.

I like something like this:
http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-133-476.html

Good because:
- Doesn't scream "look, I have a camera, come try to steal it!"
- Padded insert can be removed so you can leave your equipment in the insert and move insert and equipment all to any other bag
- Taking the padded inserts out will also give you a normal bag for use

Yeah..i just bought one from SLR revolution. very light weight and padded. just nice for my requirement. althought blue is a nice colour

Hmm, I still think backpacks are the way to go for traveling. Either standalone or bag-in-a-bag is your call. Depends on your priorities too; comfort, space, size, accessibility, safety, etc.

But yeah, your shoulders will thank you for using backpacks at the end of the trip, especially if you do a whole lot of walking/hiking. And the storage space is a plus for storing all those brochures and souvenirs. ;)

Personally, I prefer a camera bag, best if it's understated kind. I have a domke f-3x that looks like kiam chai so no one really takes a 2nd look -

3801083822_5e463a86bb_o.jpg

That a some great looking "kiam chai" bag... :bsmilie:
I really recommend the Domke F-3x... I've used so many bags over the years but the F-3x still holds it's own. A proven and versatile design. :thumbsup:

Hmm, I still think backpacks are the way to go for traveling. Either standalone or bag-in-a-bag is your call. Depends on your priorities too; comfort, space, size, accessibility, safety, etc.

But yeah, your shoulders will thank you for using backpacks at the end of the trip, especially if you do a whole lot of walking/hiking. And the storage space is a plus for storing all those brochures and souvenirs. ;)

While it's comfortable on the shoulders, it's actually pretty difficult to change lens. Just my experience when I was carrying the Adventure 7 for my Bali trip. Set it down, open it up, and then carry it again. For the K100D kit you are carrying, and if backpack is still preferred, I kind of like the fastpack?

I carried the Domke throughout my Tokyo / Hokkaido trip, and I was carrying 2 camera bodies, and it wasn't that bad on your shoulder.

That a some great looking "kiam chai" bag... :bsmilie:
I really recommend the Domke F-3x... I've used so many bags over the years but the F-3x still holds it's own. A proven and versatile design. :thumbsup:

Hey! I still prefer your kiam chai ler ... :bsmilie:

While it's comfortable on the shoulders, it's actually pretty difficult to change lens. Just my experience when I was carrying the Adventure 7 for my Bali trip. Set it down, open it up, and then carry it again. For the K100D kit you are carrying, and if backpack is still preferred, I kind of like the fastpack?

I carried the Domke throughout my Tokyo / Hokkaido trip, and I was carrying 2 camera bodies, and it wasn't that bad on your shoulder.

Hey! I still prefer your kiam chai ler ... :bsmilie:

I agree, comfortable but really troublesome to change lenses, which I was doing quite often. Unless you get a Lowepro Fastpack or Tamrac Aero that allows for side-access, or even a Think Tank Rotation 360.

Someday I will own a Domke, although I'm not a fan of the metal clasps

At least your shoulder got natural padding. Mine all bones. :bsmilie:

But yeah, I was using the Fastpack 200. Thanks to my flexibility, I could easily access the camera without slinging it to the front. As for switching lenses, I alternated between the DA12-24 and DA70 in my jacket pocket in areas I knew provided lots of shooting opportunities. Only downside was the backpack bulk in urban areas and transport.

Another of my favourite bag, can be used as a everyday work laptop bag with camera. Thinktank Urban Disguise 35 is very well build high quality bag, very compact yet roomy as well. When you need to use it as a backpack when travelling there is an optional shoulder harness, however, the padding is not as nice as regular backpack. I think this is the only bag I owned that I can carry a 5D MKII with 70-200 f2.8 IS attached and still got room for flash and another lens.

Urban-Disguise-35-2.jpg

with backpack shoulder harness
Urban-Disguise-35-5.jpg

I used my T216.

fast draw, compact and good to manouver through crowds without having to worry about things being stolen