Not open for further replies.

adamadam

Feb 9, 2004
Perth
www.flickr.com
Hello!

Would like your input.

I'm going on a small trip.
KL, Malacca, Singapore and maybe Bangkok...

The gear I plan on bringing:
Canon 1V HS
TS-E 24L II
35L
85L II
Ricoh GX-100
8 x AA batteries
A couple of filters.
some rolls of film

Some of the bags I have available:
Billingham Hadley Large
Thinktank Speed Racer
Domke F-3X with backpack strap
Domke F-6
Kata R-103
Lowepro Toploader 70 AW + Lenscase strapped on
Lowepro Toploader 75 AW

I don't think my Toploaders can hold all that comfortably, so I'll discount them as a choice.
The F-6 will be a bit squeezy, also will discount that.
The R-103 is nice for holding a lot of gear, and distributing the weight over both shoulders on comfortable pads is good, but access to gear takes a bit more effort (take bag off etc) and I don't really like the sweaty-back feeling.

The Hadley large, speed racer and F-3X hold all that gear - the hadley holds it just-right, the f-3x holds it - but tight, and the speedracer holds it well.

I like the Hadley large as I can bring it most places without looking awkward (ie a big camera bag). But I think walking around all day with a shoulder strap will cause me pain. Even though I've got the SP-40 shoulder pad...

I like the F-3X as it can hold it, and with the backpack strap (which I always use), can be used as a backpack. But having the gear in there is abit squeezy - it fits in, but with the gear rubbing on each other.

The speedracer holds it well, and has rain cover, and nice to carry on waist so shoulders don't get sore, but then, do you think it looks a bit odd walking around everywhere with this kind of bag?

Also, I would like to strap on a small tripod (Benro C-069) and water bottle.

In the past (eg, my Europe holidays), I would bring a zoom lens + small dslr (30D without grip) + 1V with 35L on, or a wide angle lens, in a "normal" bag with some dividers inside. This time I am bringing a little bit more gear (heavier gear) so was not going to use the same bag. Actually, I intend on taking many photographs on this trip ho ho ho. I want to take photographs of my friends eating, playing, and also of buildings and whatever.

What do you think? Which bag should I use?
Maybe I could leave the 35L at home and just bring 24 and 85?
But I like the 35, I've done trips which that as my only lens, but this time bringing a couple more for more fun!

how u carry your billingham? sling or ?

if sling, u can alternate the sling direction. think not so bad.

:)

how u carry your billingham? sling or ?

if sling, u can alternate the sling direction. think not so bad.

:)

Thanks for the reply :)
Sling-style :)
I like the Billingham because it has the look which can be brought to any situation. Less awkward than wearing the Thinktank into a restaurant. But I like the features of the thinktank, that it can hold everything comfortably with room for bits and pieces etc. hom!

I think the Thinktank or Domke with backpack strap is most comfortable.
But they aren't the type I can carry into all-situations.
Maybe I should bring a few bags?

Nice to see a film guy with prime lenses to boot!

I think your gear is too heavy.

I would not bring a 1v and three big-aperture L lenses on a trip unless the shooting requires it.

Notwithstanding the above, you can consider the speed racer with the load around your waist, and slinging the camera + one lens around your shoulder to maximise shot opportunities.

Carrying everything in a shoulder bag will kill you.

The good thing about shoulder bag though is that it can be put on the ground when you don't need to move.

Hello!

Would like your input.

I'm going on a small trip.
KL, Malacca, Singapore and maybe Bangkok...

The gear I plan on bringing:
Canon 1V HS
TS-E 24L II
35L
85L II
Ricoh GX-100
8 x AA batteries
A couple of filters.
some rolls of film

Some of the bags I have available:
Billingham Hadley Large
Thinktank Speed Racer
Domke F-3X with backpack strap
Domke F-6
Kata R-103
Lowepro Toploader 70 AW + Lenscase strapped on
Lowepro Toploader 75 AW

I don't think my Toploaders can hold all that comfortably, so I'll discount them as a choice.
The F-6 will be a bit squeezy, also will discount that.
The R-103 is nice for holding a lot of gear, and distributing the weight over both shoulders on comfortable pads is good, but access to gear takes a bit more effort (take bag off etc) and I don't really like the sweaty-back feeling.

The Hadley large, speed racer and F-3X hold all that gear - the hadley holds it just-right, the f-3x holds it - but tight, and the speedracer holds it well.

I like the Hadley large as I can bring it most places without looking awkward (ie a big camera bag). But I think walking around all day with a shoulder strap will cause me pain. Even though I've got the SP-40 shoulder pad...

I like the F-3X as it can hold it, and with the backpack strap (which I always use), can be used as a backpack. But having the gear in there is abit squeezy - it fits in, but with the gear rubbing on each other.

The speedracer holds it well, and has rain cover, and nice to carry on waist so shoulders don't get sore, but then, do you think it looks a bit odd walking around everywhere with this kind of bag?

Also, I would like to strap on a small tripod (Benro C-069) and water bottle.

In the past (eg, my Europe holidays), I would bring a zoom lens + small dslr (30D without grip) + 1V with 35L on, or a wide angle lens, in a "normal" bag with some dividers inside. This time I am bringing a little bit more gear (heavier gear) so was not going to use the same bag. Actually, I intend on taking many photographs on this trip ho ho ho. I want to take photographs of my friends eating, playing, and also of buildings and whatever.

What do you think? Which bag should I use?
Maybe I could leave the 35L at home and just bring 24 and 85?
But I like the 35, I've done trips which that as my only lens, but this time bringing a couple more for more fun!

Nice to see a film guy with prime lenses to boot!

I think your gear is too heavy.

I would not bring a 1v and three big-aperture L lenses on a trip unless the shooting requires it.

Notwithstanding the above, you can consider the speed racer with the load around your waist, and slinging the camera + one lens around your shoulder to maximise shot opportunities.

Carrying everything in a shoulder bag will kill you.

The good thing about shoulder bag though is that it can be put on the ground when you don't need to move.

You are right about the shoulder bag, pain for long days out. So I narrowed the choice between the backpack strapped F-3X and waist-strap Speedracer. The only downside of these is about bringing them to "nice" places where bringing these bags would seem out-of-place. Then come to think about it, what kind of "nice" place am I planning to go to? Most likely none! So maybe they will do! hee hee!

I agree about the large aperture, but being limited by whatever speed film I put in, I like to have the flexibility of opening the aperture a bit more...then the background which we travelled all the way to see, might become a few blobs...
87-11.JPG

I guess I could leave a couple of lenses at home, but I like my toyssssssssssssssssss lol.
I chose to bring the 85 as my telephoto rather than 70-200; but then, my friend travelling with me might borrow my 70-200 anyway.... so maybe I can bring it with him and leave the 85 at home. oh but I like my 85... om nom nom nom. but practically, out of these, the 85 is the first I'd leave home. Next would be the 35... though I might miss the flexibility of being able to go to f/1.4; but 24 is close-ish to 35, maybe I'll go wide(24) and 85 for telephoto. or if my friend carries my 70-200, then just 24.

discussing allows me to sound out some ideas and get your opinions, thank you very much for your input, feel free to contribute any more thoughts!

I'd bring an EOS 30.

A 24/2.8 for wide. A 35/1.4 for the normal and low light. And a 70-200/4 IS for the long.

And plenty of film.

You are right about the shoulder bag, pain for long days out. So I narrowed the choice between the backpack strapped F-3X and waist-strap Speedracer. The only downside of these is about bringing them to "nice" places where bringing these bags would seem out-of-place. Then come to think about it, what kind of "nice" place am I planning to go to? Most likely none! So maybe they will do! hee hee!

I agree about the large aperture, but being limited by whatever speed film I put in, I like to have the flexibility of opening the aperture a bit more...then the background which we travelled all the way to see, might become a few blobs...
87-11.JPG

I guess I could leave a couple of lenses at home, but I like my toyssssssssssssssssss lol.
I chose to bring the 85 as my telephoto rather than 70-200; but then, my friend travelling with me might borrow my 70-200 anyway.... so maybe I can bring it with him and leave the 85 at home. oh but I like my 85... om nom nom nom. but practically, out of these, the 85 is the first I'd leave home. Next would be the 35... though I might miss the flexibility of being able to go to f/1.4; but 24 is close-ish to 35, maybe I'll go wide(24) and 85 for telephoto. or if my friend carries my 70-200, then just 24.

discussing allows me to sound out some ideas and get your opinions, thank you very much for your input, feel free to contribute any more thoughts!

I'd bring an EOS 30.

A 24/2.8 for wide. A 35/1.4 for the normal and low light. And a 70-200/4 IS for the long.

And plenty of film.

Sounds good~
One of my friends going with me is bringing his 85 and my other friend is bringing my 70-200....
so I can just *use* them! :D

don't need the 85, if you ask me. :)

just bring 24 + 35, well you know i am billingham whore so.. billingham hadley large it is :bsmilie:

I think many of us suffer from the "I need all my gear" syndrome.(Me included)

Scott Kelby himself, just brings a 18-200 on a small body for holidays. While I have a different perspective, I would like to submit bringing the bare minimum lenses so that you can still enjoy the trip.

Just enough lenses to cover the range that you like to shoot in, leave some at home. We might miss a couple of shots without our specialized lenses, but it might be a small price to pay for sore shoulders/backs on a holiday.

Unless you have transport all through the trip, where most of the time, your gear is with you in a car/bus, maybe should look at the minimum number of lenses. Grit your teeth and leave the more specialized lenses at home :)

I think many of us suffer from the "I need all my gear" syndrome.(Me included)

Scott Kelby himself, just brings a 18-200 on a small body for holidays. While I have a different perspective, I would like to submit bringing the bare minimum lenses so that you can still enjoy the trip.

Just enough lenses to cover the range that you like to shoot in, leave some at home. We might miss a couple of shots without our specialized lenses, but it might be a small price to pay for sore shoulders/backs on a holiday.

Unless you have transport all through the trip, where most of the time, your gear is with you in a car/bus, maybe should look at the minimum number of lenses. Grit your teeth and leave the more specialized lenses at home :)

Out of my 'collection', I selected to bring just these three lenses, which I thought was a good reduction....but may just narrow it down more...
I like the feeling of using just one lens, like my 'Paris with 35mm' trip.
Holidays should be enjoyed, not suffering lugging gear. After my last holiday (which I am glad I travelled relatively lightly), I thought "next trip I will just bring a compact"; but I have some ideas for photographs which a compact can not do, unless I photo shop....

However, I believe in all you said; Thank you very much.
I am now considering leaving the 85 at home more seriously.

I'll bring 24 and 35, and 35 will go stay in the hospital (CSC) so it'll just be the 24 and a compact - the compact will catch all the things the 24 can't.

lovely!

Thank you all for your contributions! Try convince me to bring even less!! Reason with me! Please :)

Sister just reminded me that even if it's just 24mm, the shoulder-bag/sling-bag form-factor may pain me.
One reason I like the Billingham is because it looks good enough to go to any situation.

Maybe I'll bring a few bags and change bags depending on where I will go.

Another thing... when travelling with a smallish tripod, how do you carry it? In bag? Strap?

Another thing... when travelling with a smallish tripod, how do you carry it? In bag? Strap?

i carry it in a collapsible bag that can throw into my bag easily

the old slik 3 way bag i had was the best.. can stuff into back jeans pocket..

but now the manfrotto one that came with my 725b also ok.. just have to stuff into bag instead of back pocket.

i carry it in a collapsible bag that can throw into my bag easily

the old slik 3 way bag i had was the best.. can stuff into back jeans pocket..

but now the manfrotto one that came with my 725b also ok.. just have to stuff into bag instead of back pocket.

ah, so just throw in bag! I shall see how to fit it in my bag.
Just tried putting the tripod in the hadley large, it sticks out so much that I can't close the bag nicely...
unless i take out the insert and lie the tripod horizontally inside the bag! HM

ah, so just throw in bag! I shall see how to fit it in my bag.
Just tried putting the tripod in the hadley large, it sticks out so much that I can't close the bag nicely...
unless i take out the insert and lie the tripod horizontally inside the bag! HM

oops sorry i think i was a bit confusing.

i meant, i carry it in a tripod bag.. the bag can put into my camela bag.. :bsmilie:

buy m4/3 camera

Status
Not open for further replies.