Bad taken Firework shoots - Advise Pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
nuclear_puppi said:
Hi there, maybe you can state what settings did you use ?

But at 1st glance, I think your ISO settings is too high coz all your pics are rather grainy.

hiyee,

aiya my digicam's lowest ISO is 100 :( therefore set to ISO 100.
also, i set between F2.8 and F7.6 cos my old camera only can trigger between these 2 range unless i use zoom function n then it could change the aperture values. As for shutter speeds, set it around 1 to 2 secs (my cam oni allow to select 1,2,4,8 n etc). if i select above 2 secs, could see alot of small tiny dots. hmm guess my digicam's limitation?

use support, a tripod for example.. can see some trails r frizzy

I agree with foxtwo. A tripod is a must-have if you wanna use a longer exposure speed. :)

I'm no expert, but I guess you pulled the trigger just before/during the "blooming" of the fireworks? That's probably why your pictures only record the final few moments of the "dying" fireworks. I suggest you pull the trigger when you see the light trail up in the air. Around 2-4s with your f/7.4 should do.

Well, from your pics.... I think ur exposure still ok.. But then do get a tripod or put the camera on some support (like on the edge of the bridge---careful) so that you can get nice and sharp image of the fireworks

Have to admit to the fact. Your shooting timing is not that good. I think it is pretty normal for all of the ppl taking those shooot. Timing is very important. This really have to time it well. One of the way is look for those trailing light after a big boom sound.... Ready for the big shot. I think you guys will noticed those trailing light sometimes rite ?

ANyway... i think your shooting and setting quite alright. Just get a tripod that will make a very big different. ^_^

Happy shooting this sunday. Or you want to join some of us that having those photo taking outing on that day? Welcome anyone that interested too :D

BTW.... If you have computer times for this week. There was an article by Willy Foo on tips and guide to take proper fireworks photo.

newbie :dunno:

may i know wad is all the f2.8 f7 u guys talking abt? is it focus somehting ?

chunger said:
BTW.... If you have computer times for this week. There was an article by Willy Foo on tips and guide to take proper fireworks photo.
Please excuse the oversimplification in the CT article... I had to word it for the layman who are not familiar with the technical details of photography. Due to layout they had to edit the text too which may lead to some inaccuracies (like the caption for the pic is not meant to describe it).

http://computertimes.asia1.com.sg/handson/story/0,5104,2683,00.html

Yvisg said:
hiyee,

aiya my digicam's lowest ISO is 100 :( therefore set to ISO 100.
also, i set between F2.8 and F7.6 cos my old camera only can trigger between these 2 range unless i use zoom function n then it could change the aperture values. As for shutter speeds, set it around 1 to 2 secs (my cam oni allow to select 1,2,4,8 n etc). if i select above 2 secs, could see alot of small tiny dots. hmm guess my digicam's limitation?
Hi... taking care of Stability, Timing & Shutter speed should get your fairly decent shots.

* Stability
Get a tripod/bag/pillar. Worse case scenario, press your camera agaist your shoulders or chest (your body will move less than your hands, and you can watch the fireworks at the same time, just have to practice your estimation on framing before hand.

* Timing
Being an old digicam, it may have substantial shutter lag.. minimise it by using manual focus, or if u don't have it, pre-focus (half-depress the shutter) and fire when you see the faint shells shooting up. If that still misses, you start even before you see the shells.

* Shutter Speed
2-3 seconds is enough for a fireworks burst to complete its trails. Just practice timing.

you can also try to put the camera on your camerabag. that's what i do, but there IS a very high chance of camerashake

sorry to bother.. wads ISO speed too?

iso is international standards organization....basically in photography it depicts the speed of the film...the larger the iso...the more receptive the film is to light....thus higher shutter speeds are achieved at the same aperture....

however, the higher the iso, the grainier the picture will become....so if u want relatively grain free photos....use e.g iso 100....

in digicams the iso can be set automatically or manually...

Witness said:
iso is international standards organization....basically in photography it depicts the speed of the film...the larger the iso...the more receptive the film is to light....thus higher shutter speeds are achieved at the same aperture....

however, the higher the iso, the grainier the picture will become....so if u want relatively grain free photos....use e.g iso 100....

in digicams the iso can be set automatically or manually...

so does tat mean the lower the iso the better so u will get grain free photos? i cannot remember where i read it but it says tat it is something to do with light... so wad are the conditions to use iso lower or iso higher...?

hi, sorry for late reply ur questions in the pm after u seen my photos.. i didnt know u got a thread here as well :) busy with work last 2days.. hmm next time u can try to upload to www.walrusblog.com and link here if u got problems again

one thing i forgot to tell u.. set manual focus to infinity if possible for your cam.. the rest had told u liao the settings.. ;)

ETboy said:
so does tat mean the lower the iso the better so u will get grain free photos? i cannot remember where i read it but it says tat it is something to do with light... so wad are the conditions to use iso lower or iso higher...?
cos higher ISO is more sensitive i think.. most sites/ppl/book i read says cannot go beyond ISO 200.. if u had lower use it loh..

ETboy said:

in simple
if same shutter speed and apreture
lower ISO mean darker and less noise
higher ISO mean brighter and more noise

correct me if i am wrong :)

ETboy said:

firstly, grains are for film. Noise is for digital. Any noise is bad for digital, however, grains while not always good is not totally bad either. Confusing?It's best u google to learn the difference of grains & noise. I don't have the exact knowhow to explain here. ;)

Meanwhile, lower iso levels will get u better quality pictures meaning finer grains/less noise.

Remember that 3 factors u control on ur cam determines the final pic. Aperture, Shutter spd & ISO. Ideally, to get the best quality pic, u set ur ISO to the lowest eg. iso100. Ur cam will, based on ur ISO setting, measure the aperture and/or shutter speed for the closest accurate metering.

So when do u need to set ur ISO higher? In poor/low light conditions, eg: overcast, indoors, dusk, night, under shade. In these instances, you will notice u r unable to capture scenes in settings u normally use in sunny/bright conditions. Hence, u set ur ISO as high as it is needed to capture ur intended scene.

for fireworks, u dun use a high ISO. 'cos a high ISO will 'take in' more light than u need during a 2sec exposure than vs a low ISO, resulting in overexposure.

hope my explaination is a bit helpful. (and dun mind being corrected :))

yup right thats what i read also... except i dont know there is diff between grain and noise hee.. now i know thanks :)

foxtwo said:
firstly, grains are for film. Noise is for digital. Any noise is bad for digital, however, grains while not always good is not totally bad either. Confusing?It's best u google to learn the difference of grains & noise. I don't have the exact knowhow to explain here. ;)

Meanwhile, lower iso levels will get u better quality pictures meaning finer grains/less noise.

Remember that 3 factors u control on ur cam determines the final pic. Aperture, Shutter spd & ISO. Ideally, to get the best quality pic, u set ur ISO to the lowest eg. iso100. Ur cam will, based on ur ISO setting, measure the aperture and/or shutter speed for the closest accurate metering.

So when do u need to set ur ISO higher? In poor/low light conditions, eg: overcast, indoors, dusk, night, under shade. In these instances, you will notice u r unable to capture scenes in settings u normally use in sunny/bright conditions. Hence, u set ur ISO as high as it is needed to capture ur intended scene.

for fireworks, u dun use a high ISO. 'cos a high ISO will 'take in' more light than u need during a 2sec exposure than vs a low ISO, resulting in overexposure.

hope my explaination is a bit helpful. (and dun mind being corrected :))

thanks thats very helpful to me.. ok i get it now..

Status
Not open for further replies.