Bad Experience with Model Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leongfm

Feb 12, 2003
www.pbase.com
I had a bad experience shooting a model last week. This was the first time that I shoot model in a studio setting.

Out of the four of us who photographed her (the organiser was there giving advice but did not shoot) she treated everyone rather nice except me. The other three photographers were 2 ladies and 1 man, all non-Chinese, but were inexperienced as well. During the set up, I could sense that she felt uncomfortable with me and avoiding eye-contact. However, she did talked to the others while ignoring me completely. (You should see her sullen face when we started.....makes one wonder how she could be a model if she has this kind of personality / disposition.)

I felt very uncomfortable and angry with the whole situation and it affected my mood to shoot initially. I was wondering why she was reacting this way towards me. As far as I could tell, I was not staring at her or being rude to her at all.

Any thoughts why she behave this way? Is this normal?

I think as a model, albeit freelance/part-time one, she should be able to handle this kind of situation with ease. All these uncomfortable situations could be easily diffused by a simple smile from her rather than showing a sullen and black face.

FM

sigh, try to put yourself in her shoes .. it is not easy to become a model and do photo shooting the whole day and probably the whole month !!

let her be ... i remember the first rule is to make contacts, chat with her , then lastly, shoots for her posture and style ... :D

Probably you did not managed to communicate with her and find a common topic to start the session :) or rather even before you start any shoots you can attempt to chitchat with her or during breaks to ease up :)

She is neither your relative nor your friend. She will definitely be defensive if there's a stranger shooting her :)

Perhaps next time, smile more. It helps melt any ice between the photographer and model :p

"When in doubt, act stupid" :D

they are also human mah , (icebreaker)chatting with them first help a lot :thumbsup:

the impression I get from your post, is that you are suggesting the model was snubbing you?

Hmmm.. well, maybe it's because the other people were female, and you know, it's a girl-to girl thingy?

Maybe you really look like the boy friend who dumped her a week ago :devil:

Maybe you look very handsome, so the girl shy lah.... heheh...

Hi Leongfm, you can try my studio model shoot, we hire professional model (no freelance one), and that is one thing we make certain: our model must have good behaviour and must treat the photographers professionally, afterall we are paying for her time to be modelling.

So far I had organized 4 model shoots with 4 different models, and I have quite good response from fellow participants/photographers.

If you want to join us, you can refer to this thread for details of future model shoots.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30156

"The cost is $60, but the experience is priceless!"

Originally posted by Astin
Hi Leongfm, you can try my studio model shoot, we hire professional model (no freelance one), and that is one thing we make certain: our model must have good behaviour and must treat the photographers professionally, afterall we are paying for her time to be modelling.

So far I had organized 4 model shoots with 4 different models, and I have quite good response from fellow participants/photographers. Refer to this thread for details.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30156

yeah!:thumbsup:

if you paid her, then she should be professional.

for example, if you're a wedding photographer and you came up with crappy shots... do you blame the couple for not talking to you and didn't "break ice" ?

she was paid for doing a job and if she didn't perform, it is not an excuse to blame the photographer.

Originally posted by oceanxp
sigh, try to put yourself in her shoes .. it is not easy to become a model and do photo shooting the whole day and probably the whole month !!

this is not a good excuse.

Maybe your cam and lenses not big enuff?? :dunno: :p

Sometimes it happens with someone who know nuts about photography and judges us by our stuff... forgive these ppl :angel:

maybe its PMS :cool: :cool: :cool:

or maybe u took too long to setup or was wearing clothes of a colour combination that she didnt like...well nevermind, whatever it is, regardless if the model is good or not, i believe when shooting models u got to treat them as if they were your best buddy. throw in a bit of charm + icebreaking warmup, compliment here n there a bit (combined with a "half-lingering eye contact"), ask open-ended questions, tell some stories, etc you know it, ah. of coz dun overdo it. just got to practice :cool:

Thanks for your intresting and insightful replies.

I have never met her before so there is no bad blood between us. The equipment I used was reasonably professional...better than the other 3 fellow photographers.

I am still wondering if it is a BG thing. She might be deliberately trying to be unfriendly so that I wouldn't even think about befriending her. Or the other reason was that she thought that I was a "chee ko pek" who had never seen beautiful girls in my life... so try to keep a distance whereas the other photographers were more "harmless".

Anywhere, I was very pleased with the photos I took of her. I think I would have liked the photos more if I had a better experience.

FM

Fret not....

Anyway I believe the only way to get great model shots is to get the model to relax and feel comfortable with you, this way you will probably get shots u never expect to....

Moral of the story... Always get to know the model and talk to em 1st before starting the shoot.... ;)

Just me 2 cents...

Join Astin's shoots. You won't be disappointed. I never asked the models to smile or chatted with them and they still smile automatically. And for some shots, I had to tell them not to. :)

There's actually no time to chit chat. You've only got a few mins to shoot. So your head better be full of ideas for poses. If the model is a pro, it makes your job so much easier. What you experienced is definitely not normal. I have enjoyed my shoots so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.