Bad experience with Alan Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudsoap

Sep 1, 2004
Singapore
www.mudsoap.net
Hi,

I'm quite a newbie to photography, and recently got a sony v3 from AP, since it has quite a good 'name'. However I'm dissapointed with the quality of service it given me in two occasions.

Executive Summary:
My first photo taken with v3 starts with filename DSC.. 9000++ . I'm need to know how can I check the shutter count/click for the cam.

Full story:
Went to AP to enquire about the cam. Spoke first to a a very young guy. As i know from the promo, there's a ms stick voucher and 2 yrs extended warranty along with the cam. I asked him, and he said there's no more vouchers for the new stock anymore. and the warranty is one year. I asked him whether he wants to check with other 'older' guys, he stilll said there isn't.

So I waited a while and checked with another (older) guy. Well, viola, he confirmed there IS ms stick voucher and the warranty can be exchanged at sony bugis. Fine, I'll give the young guy the benefit of the doubt for the warrantly part, but for the memory stick?? I asked him to confirm and yet he insisted there's no voucher. don't know he's really ignorant or act blur!

So, i got the cam from AP on thursday. went back and found out the filename started from DSC.. 9000+ .jpg. Was shocked! Has the cam already taken 9000+ photos?

Went back on Sat 18 Dec to ask the same guy. At first he just give a reason that i need to format the card and it'll be alright. Luckily i brought a laptop + card reader along. I formatted the card using my laptop. put it back, and the counter is still the same.

I went back to shop, then he try to put a memory stick in and took four pictures and said "see, now it's 1/4, 2/4".. c'mon. I'm not an idiot. The filename is right below, and he's try to bluff me off by showing the no. of pictures in the card! I asked him to bring out a new cam and show me whether it's the same, then he said they are very busy (implying can't entertain me), and no more stock, even the display set! He ask me to go to sony gallery @ bugis to check. What kind of customer service is this?

I decide to go sony gallery to give it a try. and before i leave, I checked on the display, and THERE! I see a v3 displayed on the shelf! so is he trying to CHEAT ME by saying "there's no more stock, even the display is sold off"??!!

I'm utterly dissapointed by this kind of service it's providing. it's as though i look 'new' to photography and they not giving me a damn! Is it those who spend a lot on the shop/ or know the sales persons get better service?? I wonder??

continuation..

I went over to sony gallery, to check with the guys at bugis, they don't know what is shutter clicks.
if sony gallery also can't find out the actual shutter count, and there's no software to know the shutter count, i can't tell if camera didn't already taken 9000+ photos, then what m i going to do? :cry: :cry:

It's a gamble to buy from these kind of shops, especially if they know you are new to digital camera. Often then not they will try to test you out before quoting the price of the camera you are looking for. Advise that you check everything before paying the cash to them.

Got my G6 last month from them too, do a detail check before paying (etc, dust in lens, scratched len, dead pixel, original battery, button working fine, flash working). It's always good to get a friend who know the staff to help you out.

You should know your consumer right !! Go bang the table hard, ask for the manager in charge, then they will get their technical staff to help you. I think you are too friendly to them ..

I had a similar experience just like you. Their service sucks and that is the reason i dun buy from them. Anyway, I dun think they deserve the star retailer award. Cheers!

I might be wrong here, but as I recall non-SLR digital camera has no shutter, CCD does not need a shutter (think it as on/off switch).

That's why no one concern much abt shutter life on non-DSLR, there's none.

initialE24 said:
I had a similar experience just like you. Their service sucks and that is the reason i dun buy from them. Anyway, I dun think they deserve the star retailer award. Cheers!

Star retailer award??????

err... i dun really think sony service centre will do anything to help as well, the best you could do to Sony is actually write them a long query about their service, how come there is no way to do a check on physical shutter count etc, den they will reply, esp send to their US email... u see immediate next day reply... cos the Sony service ppl treated me like an idiot when i was there servicing a F828... i have yet to set it back for another free service... they think i too much time on hand to go down & waste my parking fee...

is your memory stick an old one? if it is an old one, and you have taken photos on it using another camera, the sony v3 will, like other sony cameras, continue the file numbering... as far as i know.

They were awarded the Star Retailer Award which means good service and value for money.

frcfyp said:
is your memory stick an old one? if it is an old one, and you have taken photos on it using another camera, the sony v3 will, like other sony cameras, continue the file numbering... as far as i know.

else another possibility is that if someone tried the v3 using his own memory stick (which may have a file dsc09550.jpg, the first photo taken by the v3 will become dsc09551.jpg)

best advice - get from original sony showroom if you can afford. They will not often treat you badly and alway provide better servie.. Simlim area is for those who knows their stuff... :) and to take a risk..

initialE24 said:
They were awarded the Star Retailer Award which means good service and value for money.

Almost every retail shop in SLS got that tag, including Costronic and C.A.S.H. if I've not mistaken and if you had been shopping in SLS for long enough you should know what these two shops are infamous for.

if you suspect that you are sold a display unit when you are told that it is not. one possible option: seek assistance from CASE. i am surprised that sony here is not able to help.

I think the shutter count can be reset. (I think only har...:)) Even if you swapped MS, it will continue the sequence if you din reset it.

I think you might have a case against them. Maybe you can lodge a complain to CASE against the retailer or let Sony Singapore know. While its not possible for CASE or Sony to replace a new set, they can at least deal with the errant dealer.

9000+ photos is alot! :bigeyes:

reachme2003 said:
i am surprised that sony here is not able to help.

He went to Sony Bugis for help. The people there are only for sales. Wrong channal. Should write in to Sony Singapore's HQ.

mudsoap said:
Went back on Sat 18 Dec to ask the same guy. At first he just give a reason that i need to format the card and it'll be alright. Luckily i brought a laptop + card reader along. I formatted the card using my laptop. put it back, and the counter is still the same.

i'm not sure what you are trying to do (overall objective). but if it is just to reset the number, you can check your user manual. it should say something like... go to setup, at the option where you are asked whether u want to reset numbering or retain numbering, choose reset numbering. then after that, format the memory stick using the camera, and the file numbering will start from dsc00001.jpg again.

frcfyp said:
i'm not sure what you are trying to do (overall objective). but if it is just to reset the number, you can check your user manual. it should say something like... go to setup, at the option where you are asked whether u want to reset numbering or retain numbering, choose reset numbering. then after that, format the memory stick using the camera, and the file numbering will start from dsc00001.jpg again.

Ah yes, can reset. :) But dun reset it mudsoap, if you reset it, you dun have a case liao.

afbug said:
I think the shutter count can be reset. (I think only har...:)) Even if you swapped MS, it will continue the sequence if you din reset it.

I think you might have a case against them. Maybe you can lodge a complain to CASE against the retailer or let Sony Singapore know. While its not possible for CASE or Sony to replace a new set, they can at least deal with the errant dealer.

9000+ photos is alot! :bigeyes:

He went to Sony Bugis for help. The people there are only for sales. Wrong channal. Should write in to Sony Singapore's HQ.

while CASE cannot replace a new set, Sony(HQ) here can if they want to. if you have a case, the pressure from CASE will likely evoke some action from them. another option, Small Claims Tribunals if the purchase price is not more than S$2,000(pls check, can't be sure now).

consumers' protection!

wow... sounds like the service isn't too good....
i have had some opsitive and negative experience...

overall... just the same advice: buyer beware...

Status
Not open for further replies.