Bad experience on Broadband service

Status
Not open for further replies.

vstshung

Sep 2, 2002
Singapore
www.sabah.net.my
yesterday I called singnet to terminate my broadband account...they keep on saying that I need to inform them 30 days in advance. Althought the subscriber contract end!! Still need to pay for extra 30 days subscription fee...
:rbounce:
Really not happy!!! :angry:
pay $50 dollar just have 256K....damm slow!!:thumbsd:
If you wanna subscribe broadband...better choice Starthub!

yup, I totally agree ... was on their 512 unlimited for a year and they were charging me like $70/month. When the contract period ended, there was NO NEWS from them and when I called to ask if there was any revision in rates (new signups cost lesser!!!), the reply was a questionable "NO?"

Excuse but why should I continue to pay $70 / month for 512 unlimited when I can have 1.6 always on for $58/month?

I think their "HELLO" shops are appropriately named as a constant reminder to themseleves .... HELLOOOOOOO????????

Talk about Customer Loyalty program ... there ain't any @ Singnet.

Eh.... U dun have 1.5Mbps on starhub lah... its a hoax......
U share it with so many people.... its likely to be even slower than singnet's 256kbps.....

For Cable Modem, it runs on a bus topology (shared connection and not dedicated). If you share with lesser people, your bandwidth is higher. Vice versa.

Singnet broadband on the other hand is a dedicated line (ADSL) 128Kbps upstream and 256Kbps downstream for the 256Kbps plan. The only user of that bandwidth is yourself and not shared.

Its not a hoax at least from my experience. For the last 3 years my max download speed has remained at ~200KB/s (1.5mbps = 192KB/s).

Originally posted by xin
Eh.... U dun have 1.5Mbps on starhub lah... its a hoax......
U share it with so many people.... its likely to be even slower than singnet's 256kbps.....

I am using Starhub and when I run this site:

http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/

my bandwith ranges from a slow 305 to a faster 870 kbps or so. Never ever reached 1.5 Mbps!! 1 Mb = 1000 Kbps isn't it (see the site above)? Or am I wrong?

Reno77: why is 1.5mbps = 192KB/s? read on some posting here long ago that there seems to be a difference between bits and bytes? If so, what is the difference?

Hong Sien

Shouldn't 1.5 mbps = 187 KB/s?

Anyway this so called guaranteed speed applies only to local not international traffic. Back in the days when S-One was still healthy you could easily max out your download speed getting trailers, patches & programs from the site.

yes, it's shared ... usually when I download a company video via a 3rd party software, it shows me the speed and I am certain it hit 1.6 as indicated. Let me try again and report the stats ...

48mins video file, 106.4MB downloaded in 10min 14sec , first attempt.

Can people with the necessary technical background do the calculations to see if I do hit the 1.6 speed?

But ... there are times when it does get conjested but so far .... seldom... and to think that I was SO HESITANT to switch to cable then .... sigh ...

Originally posted by hongsien
I am using Starhub and when I run this site:

http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/

my bandwith ranges from a slow 305 to a faster 870 kbps or so. Never ever reached 1.5 Mbps!! 1 Mb = 1000 Kbps isn't it (see the site above)? Or am I wrong?

Reno77: why is 1.5mbps = 192KB/s? read on some posting here long ago that there seems to be a difference between bits and bytes? If so, what is the difference?

Hong Sien

b = bits
B = Bytes

8 bits = 1 Byte in this case

1.5Mbps = 1500000bits per second = 187500bytes per second = 183.1kilobytes per second

i do get 200KB/s most of the time during downloading...not only limited to singapore site....some US site too (eg microsoft)

I have personally tried Singtel ADSL 256 and 512 plan at various places......they are still slower than Starhub BB. of cos there are pple who still complain that Starhub BB is slower than Singtel ADSL....may be can try Singtel Magix...really fast, but $$$...may be Megaweb can elborate on that :D

Originally posted by reno77
Its not a hoax at least from my experience. For the last 3 years my max download speed has remained at ~200KB/s (1.5mbps = 192KB/s).

Is that a local server? Unless you can get ~200KB all the time. Some people said, during peak hour cable modem can be slower than 56K. I am an ADSL user, and quite happy with the service and speed.

When you say speed, it make difference whether you are accesing local server or abroad. Generally accessing singapore server will give you much greater speed. But when you try to access abroad server, your speed is slower.

It depends slightly on the density of starhub users in your area, however I have to state that I've never failed to get the max 200KB/s anytime, anyday for the past 3 years.

This is tested using multithreaded downloading programs that download a file as 20 separate logins or more(to masquerade as 20 different users to overcome the server user bandwidth limit).

Sites that test bandwidth generally give inaccurate results.

Sometimes it may just be the server you are accessing that is slow.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
It depends slightly on the density of starhub users in your area, however I have to state that I've never failed to get the max 200KB/s anytime, anyday for the past 3 years.

This is tested using multithreaded downloading programs that download a file as 20 separate logins or more(to masquerade as 20 different users to overcome the server user bandwidth limit).

same here :cheers:

Originally posted by vstshung
yesterday I called singnet to terminate my broadband account...they keep on saying that I need to inform them 30 days in advance. Althought the subscriber contract end!! Still need to pay for extra 30 days subscription fee...
:rbounce:
Really not happy!!! :angry:
pay $50 dollar just have 256K....damm slow!!:thumbsd:
If you wanna subscribe broadband...better choice Starthub!
That's the same practice as PacNet's. Last year, my PacNet was to end around 3rd week of July. They sent me an offer letter which I turned down. Called their customer service to inform them that I won't be renewing the contract, and the officer told me that my connection would only be terminated by August (IIRC, the officer told me they don't terminate halfway through the month).

... then a few months later, the disconnection charge of $40 came.... :cry:

Now, I'm a happy SCV subscriber. :D

:Later,

Originally posted by Zerstorer

Sites that test bandwidth generally give inaccurate results.

Sometimes it may just be the server you are accessing that is slow.

Same here :cheers:

:p

Originally posted by togu
Same here :cheers:

:p

same here too. :cheers: :)

Share or dun share also nvm.. cos even how bad starhub is.. the speed (90% of the time) is still faster than singnet bb. The only sucky thing abt scv is it's cust support (I waited average an hour before I talk to someone).

"Let it be pacnet or singnet or starhub. they are all legalise day light robbers. you always end up paying more for less. we have to bear with it since there are only a pathetic 3 broad band service provider in singapore." My comment are just for fun only. no intention of defarmation. Please dun sue me, i am scared.

Originally posted by Goldmember
Let it be pacnet or singnet or starhub. they are all legalise day light robbers. you always end up paying more for less. we have to bear with it since there are only a pathetic 3 broad band service provider in singapore.

Wow, if I were you, better to edit your post hor... What you typed in the threat could be used legally aginst you in a court of law should any of the three want to sue you for defamation leh. Need not prove case as it is in written communication and published ....

To give your comments about a package not being fair is okay .... but don't call them names lah, wait kenna sue until gotta pawn your D60 oso not enuf to pay how??? heehee .....

/me is not an employee of the above 3 hor ...

Status
Not open for further replies.