Bad experience buying Sigma lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallaperture

Jan 5, 2004
Catchment Area
Happened about a week or so ago. Went to AP/SL. Ask for this Sigma EX lens. Looking for the NAF mount, but they got an old model Canon mount plus a new DG Minolta mount.

Asked them to check if Sigma agent got stock or not. Checked and came back to say affirmative, got stock and can come back in 2 days to get it. Well and good, but got to pay a deposit! What? Deposit? That's a no-no. Well, what happened if that chap made a mistake and say no stock and need to wait 2 months or so. Or other screw up might happen like they bring you an old model, non DG. Or the lens doesn't perform as expected like AF hunts like mad, something is loose or got scratch marks on the glass or got dust inside or ......... I never like paying a deposit for any goods in this manner, never...

Now, the question is why Sigma requires that a deposit be paid in the first place. Or is it AP who wants it. From what I understand, good are delivered to shops on a 30d, 60d or even 90d credit terms, never cash-on-delivery. Whatever the credit terms, AP can definitely keep the lens on display even if I change my mind and decide not to buy. Anyhow, if we are talking about NAF or Canon mount, no risk of keeping stale stock. Moreover, I am very sure AP can return the goods if they find that they cannot sell it.

One of the chap thought of calling their Funan branch to check and presto, they got one NAF mount there. By then, I was somewhat pissed off liao, so did want to hop over to Funan liao. And I now have second thoughts as to getting that Sigma lens. And that is not a cheapo lens, costing more than 1.5k.

just dun pay first lor. No Lens No Pay. dun be swayed by empty promises.

it's not like buying a condo/car or something much bigger in monetary value where u need to pay a deposit...

I don't think it has anything to do with brand or shop. I am sure if you know them well they would order it for you without a desposit. I've done that before. They are not taking any chances I guess. If you order and then decided not to buy it then they will have to keep it. You should try out the lens first before ordering it. If they don't have it then go to a shop that has one on display.

BTW I ordered a flash cable from CP and was told to place a deposit before they will order for me. And this is only for a cable that cost below 70 bucks. So it really depends on the shop and your relationship with them and also the items concerned.

jbma said:
I don't think it has anything to do with brand or shop. I am sure if you know them well they would order it for you without a desposit. I've done that before. They are not taking any chances I guess. If you order and then decided not to buy it then they will have to keep it. You should try out the lens first before ordering it. If they don't have it then go to a shop that has one on display.

BTW I ordered a flash cable from CP and was told to place a deposit before they will order for me. And this is only for a cable that cost below 70 bucks. So it really depends on the shop and your relationship with them and also the items concerned.

Well, the lens in question is not such a rare lens that is hard to sell. They have got 2 sets there - meaning they do carry stock, except that it is not NAF mount. So, it is not reasonable to ask for deposit for this. If I were to ask for something that no one else buys in 10 years, it might be reasonable to ask for deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.