Bad experience buying lemon lens from CSer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcLeod

Jul 23, 2005
Singapore, West
A couple of months back, I was planning to get a zoom lens. Checked with shops and got a rough idea on how much a new lens will cost. Then later found this Sigma lens in the "Buy and Sell". The price was ok and I managed to get it lowered a bit. Arranged with the seller to meet and test lens.

Here's the problem. I wasn't good at testing lens at all and just tried a few things in P, Tv and Av mode. Some pics came up not so good but because it was a cloudy day (just finished raining), I thought its the poor lighting causing it. At the end, paid for the lens and was happy. Until.... when I use the lens to shoot the fireworks, there was absolutely no difference in the pictures when I change the aperture setting in M mode. Eventually found out the aperture is always wide opened regardless of the setting.

Choice was either throw it in the bin or revive. Ended up paying $120 to get Sigma to fix it.

I cannot blame the seller completely 'cos if I tested the lens more, for sure I can see the defect. At the end I could have spent the same amount of money to buy a new lens. Money aside, the rest of the bad experience :angry: :
1) wasting time to get the lens fixed,
2) shooting bad fireworks pics, again, wasting time, and
3) the seller gave CS a bad name! Very disappointed. Dunno if I will ever buy from CS again.

Hope all bro and sis be careful when buying 2nd hand.

have you check with the seller? once bought a 35-70/2.8 lens from buy/sell. like you i tested the lens and it was ok. when i brought it home to use it, i realised that all pictures was rather low in contrast and thru close inspection realised that the lens was hazzy. call the seller and he refund the money the me cos he told me lens was in good condition.

So far no problem,all my lenses are bought at CS. Range from few hundrens to thousand. Do your home work before getting a used equipment regardless buying from net or shop.

surge said:
have you check with the seller? once bought a 35-70/2.8 lens from buy/sell. like you i tested the lens and it was ok. when i brought it home to use it, i realised that all pictures was rather low in contrast and thru close inspection realised that the lens was hazzy. call the seller and he refund the money the me cos he told me lens was in good condition.
me too .... not all the sellers are bad .... at least not the ones that i've met.

sometimes things happen after the sale, so you can't blame the seller.

once I bought a domke bag, the side pockets gave way after about 2 uses, I just associate it as the risk with buying second hand good, else it would be better to purchase 1st hand if you expect nothing to go wrong...... what do you guys think ?

cheers :)

rueyloon said:
sometimes things happen after the sale, so you can't blame the seller.

once I bought a domke bag, the side pockets gave way after about 2 uses, I just associate it as the risk with buying second hand good, else it would be better to purchase 1st hand if you expect nothing to go wrong...... what do you guys think ?

cheers :)
domke bag are damn tough build ... which bag u are using and how much weight load u are carrying ? its a solid bag and i dont think it suppose to wear down if u are on normal usage

Next time check the lens first.

I had a similar experience buying a lens through CS. I guess the key to buying second hand is "Caveat emptor".

I kena once before from a newbie seller..
He refused refund as he said he had checked the lens before selling.
My part I never properly check due to the lighting condition.

S11loop said:
domke bag are damn tough build ... which bag u are using and how much weight load u are carrying ? its a solid bag and i dont think it suppose to wear down if u are on normal usage

I have the f2.

When it gave way, I had 4 batteries in it, I discover the hole because the batteries dropped out 1 by 1. 1 week later, the other side pocket opened up the same hole. about 1 month later, the same pocket developed another hole..... :|

My D100, vertical grip, 18-70 DX lens (a 24-85 AFS lens which I had already sold as well) and SB-80DX all bought from CSers!

So far so good! *Touch wood*

bought a lens.. and found it to be hazy.. and it's not detectable easily.. :( sent for cleaning $85... :cry: and I tot i saved money from buying 2nd hand..

the others I bought were in good condition though.

so far, i have bought 2 lens, 1 reverse ring and exchange a PnS cam. No problems at all.
i think you shld trade with more reputable members. Fyi, maybe u can just check their past posting before you proceed further. Generally, when the warranty has expired, the seller may give personal warranty for up to a week. IMO, the sellers in CS are ok and fair. :)

Well ... that is the risk we all takes when buying 2nd hand equipment ... you wont be able to know until it happens .. :( else try to inspect as closely as possible .. :sweat:

Sounds like a bad experience I had buying a lens from a CSer some time back. Wasn't able to check the lens thoroughly as the seller claimed he was in a hurry and we met at a void deck on a rainy afternoon. It was only when I got home and looked through the glass that I found it a spidery fungus growth in it. When I called the seller he said that he would pay me whatever it cost me to have the lens cleaned, so I went to get a quote for the cleaning and SMSed the amount to the seller. He did not reply and neither did he answer my calls subsquently. I take it as a lesson learnt and everytime I see his post in the B&S forum my blood boils, even today.

yanyewkay said:
bought a lens.. and found it to be hazy.. and it's not detectable easily.. :( sent for cleaning $85... :cry: and I tot i saved money from buying 2nd hand..

the others I bought were in good condition though.

hazy=fungus ah?

It's always important to check a lens before buying. you're paying good money for it so why should the seller rush you. Therefore, take your time to check and make sure you're really happy with the lens before paying for it. If something urks you about the item, don't let the seller stop you from walking off.

If you've checked it and you pay $ for it, it indicates you're happy with the purchase. Any other discoveries would most certainly be your fault, either because you dmged it during transport or didn't check properly.

For me personally, I check carefully before buying and once an item is sold I never do a refund. Mainly because it's difficult to prove who has spoilt the lens/equipment after a buyer has taken it home. He could very well have dropped the lens on the way back.

A few bad apples can spoil the bunch. Unfortunately there will always be people whose conscience is fading and are willing to take advantage of others. :thumbsd:

That being said, I would venture to say that the vast majority of CS'rs in the Marketplace forums are honest people. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.