bad experience at sitex

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadingz

May 2, 2008
Ang Mo Kio
i had a pretty bad experience at the olympus booth today.

was walking around the area and decided to drop by olympus to looksee around, then picked up an e-3 to play around a bit. cos i sua ku never use e-3 before, wanted to change a bit of the settings but dunno how to, so asked one of the salesperson for help.

to my disbelief he gave a really disinterested look and said "dunno." and "when you buy it there should be a manual on how to use it."

okay granted that some people may be part-timers employed just to handle the volume of customers, but i was expecting at least a bit of knowledge on how to use some of the products. even if he didn't know, he could have gotten somebody who does know how to use it to come and help me or something.

sales expertise and customer service :thumbsd:. i decided it wasn't worth my time to make a scene there and just walked off. didn't catch the name of the salesperson though (was a middle aged guy at that). maybe cos i look young that's why he can't be bothered to entertain me with the e-3 :dunno:. wondering if anyone else had a similar encounter?

didn't catch the name of the salesperson though (was a middle aged guy at that).

u can always go there again tomorrow and take note of his or her name

who so bo liao to go there to know the guy's name? I think I know who he's referring. I saw tat guy playing wif the E-3 when I went today. Wearing spect de?

But this Sitex is totally sux!!! Canon and Olympus r hold by Harvey Norman. And selling at a very high price.

was walking around the area and decided to drop by olympus to looksee around, then picked up an e-3 to play around a bit. cos i sua ku never use e-3 before, wanted to change a bit of the settings but dunno how to, so asked one of the salesperson for help.

to my disbelief he gave a really disinterested look and said "dunno." and "when you buy it there should be a manual on how to use it."

okay granted that some people may be part-timers employed just to handle the volume of customers, but i was expecting at least a bit of knowledge on how to use some of the products. even if he didn't know, he could have gotten somebody who does know how to use it to come and help me or something.

sales expertise and customer service :thumbsd:. i decided it wasn't worth my time to make a scene there and just walked off. didn't catch the name of the salesperson though (was a middle aged guy at that). maybe cos i look young that's why he can't be bothered to entertain me with the e-3 :dunno:. wondering if anyone else had a similar encounter?

erm.. part-timers. wat to do...

i think there was a long running joke in CS abt some 'brilliant' salesperson during one of these shows who told dat particular CSer that ISO stood for "Image-Stabliser ON".

I had 1 good and 1 bad experience at these kinda of fairs.

I believe the Sitex Olympus booth is under Harvey Norman (correct me if I'm wrong).
In fact, I bought my E-510 at last year (2007) Sitex when a guy (he looks like the manager or senior sales person) knows a lot about olympus and allowed me to try the camera there for quite a while. At that time, I didn't know anything about handling a DSLR, less more about knowing which to buy. This guy was able to give some good recommendation and pursue me in getting one. What this guy did was good...as he managed to pursue me to signed up for the extended warranty as well. I have no regrets then.

However, during the last Comex fair....I went to the olympus booth again. This time, I went straight to try the E-3 (similar to what you did here). I dunno how E3 works as it's is different from E510. But the sales guy was unable to tell me as well. Even when I ask him about the price, he doesn't seems interested to sell it to me too.
Well....it was a "turn off" to me and I walked out straight away. Never look back.

As you see....these sales peopel do makes a lot of difference in getting people to buy their products. Then moment customer feel bad about it....they just walk out...

HN employ such bad service provider, really tarnish their reputation . But the irony is this type of "dog eye people"still able to help the company to make money.:(

Guy I know we are the customer. And this sales ppl must do their job well.

But in such show they speak to few hundred people a day. Is really tiring to treat all customer with love and care! Plus they can only spend 10 to 15 minute per customer. Really can't give everyone the love and care when u visit them at the booth!

Not to forget they report work damn early and last to go. They need to hoot for sales for and store energy for 4 days.

I must say there is really something wrong with their attitude... Wanted to try the E3 and they never put in battery into any of the E3. Asked one of the guy and he answered coldly "No Battery" Really put there for show... Minus point.. Went over to check out Nikon which put some of the nice Lens for people to try rather than just the kit lens.

guess it varies from company to company too ba... putting up better lens for tryouts is quite a rare move though!

haha Image Stabiliser ON!!! ROFL

who so bo liao to go there to know the guy's name? I think I know who he's referring. I saw tat guy playing wif the E-3 when I went today. Wearing spect de?

But this Sitex is totally sux!!! Canon and Olympus r hold by Harvey Norman. And selling at a very high price.

lol i had a similar experience with the guy wearing specs, but it was when i was trying out the 520. just that i didn't need much help with the 520 so i didn't bother much either.

mskong is quite true about the purchase part. even if someone was really keen on buying a product he/she will be totally turned off by such service. the customer satisfaction just isn't there. plus they earn a commission from that? how do they deserve it anyway?

yes i agree that it's tough being 100% attentive and helpful all the time. it's a really long day plus dealing with people in general is tiring, not to mention possible problem customers. but someone who signs up at works at such fairs should be prepared for such working conditions.

well i guess since they're part-time (i really hope they are. =|), they believe that they can give a bo-chap attitude anyway. but in the end because of one person's attitude 3 parties lose out. company no business, part-timer no commission, and customer gets irritated and no new toy to play with. dunno is one thing. but dunno and don't care is really :nono:.

guess the only good thing we can get out of this is the amusement of things like Image Stabiliser On. lol lol. there was this canon salesperson who was amazed when i said i wanted to bring a g10 underwater. lol.

Take note most distro rotate the rep for each show,
eg. Samsung is rep by AP this show,
by the next show, Samsung will rotate the rep to another retailer.

If you want to blacklist poor altitude,
guess you have to target the correct shop. ;(

Was told that if you take up the rep for the show,
you will need to lay cash for the goods (non-returnable),
was thinking if the rep end up with a lot of left-over,
will they run a 'special' after the show is over.

Of course, every distro have their own t&c.

through my experience at computer/technology tradefairs...
SITEX, COMEX and watever...is not a good place for asking questions..do ure research first online...tech questions should never be asked there...

get in...pay....and get out...

go there knowing wat u need..

dun get conned by silly offers..

do remember that the salespeople there are generally temp. especially the younger ones and they dunno much abt stuff...just doing the job for the sake of allowance

plus..all these fairs are so cramped...full of uncles and aunties who generally get scammed by the latest tech not knowing that there are cheaper places elsewhere..

nothing beats services in places like MSCOLOR. Cathay Photo...etc...

Last edited:
part timers...this reminds me of an incident 2 years back at some tech show.

was looking at some cameras with my friend when another customer looking at a point and shoot. then she ask the salesperson what is ISO pointing at the ISO button. salesperson replied: Image Stabalizer Optimiser.'

we nearly burst into laughter!:sweat::bsmilie:

Guy I know we are the customer. And this sales ppl must do their job well.

But in such show they speak to few hundred people a day. Is really tiring to treat all customer with love and care! Plus they can only spend 10 to 15 minute per customer. Really can't give everyone the love and care when u visit them at the booth!

Not to forget they report work damn early and last to go. They need to hoot for sales for and store energy for 4 days.

Not a good excuse for such poor service. TS was not asking anything unreasonable. It's part and parcel of the job just as in any other job.

haha,actually,the ppl from Harvey Norman at sitex from all over singapore one....the guys from Harvey Norman quite knowledgeable and nice,other places,I'm not sure,but I did get some cold responses before from other places

Not a good excuse for such poor service. TS was not asking anything unreasonable. It's part and parcel of the job just as in any other job.

I totally agree,cannot in middle of war,cause tired means don't fight anymore ma,although no link,but just an example:bsmilie:

so what is ISO? every clubsnappers know?

let say 1 day your PnS hp camera gf ask you, Dear... this ISO knob, what is that?
How do you answer?

n ppl know that computer exhibition is not a place for product knowledge.

so what is ISO? every clubsnappers know?

let say 1 day your PnS hp camera gf ask you, Dear... this ISO knob, what is that?
How do you answer?

n ppl know that computer exhibition is not a place for product knowledge.

then you answer "oh darling...this ISO button means It's Sex Override..." :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

went to sitex today....didn't see any interesting "big banner discounts" being offer at the Olympus booth...didn't even bother to go in to check out....

just walk in....walk out....

Status
Not open for further replies.