ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
"Thank you so much"

Yuks....

Just say:
"Thank You"

Is that bad English?

I don't see anything wrong with it, except that it is usually used in informal situations.

AFAIK, it is used by many people, including native English speakers.

What's the grammatical/logical/linguistic flaw in "Thank you so much"? I've heard it used frequently in UK and US, and I use it myself too.

I think tooty fruity summer love is annoying.. cause I can't get it out of my head.. its bad english!! mind eff!

there more problem in life than to find fault at ppl thanking you with an additional 'so much'. In case you think your english very the can make it,my american friends like to say 'thanks very much' and damn i'm so annoyed at their bad english i feel like beating them up.

the example you quoted is not bad english.

let me quote you some other examples;

1. "I don't know whether should I buy a new lens for my camera."

2. "Do you know when can they deliver the car to my house?"

utterly cringeworthy......

:bsmilie:

Thank you so much ..... it's more formal and more polite..... this is definitely not "bad English"

Thank you .... is more common in non-English speaking countries

"Thank you so much"

Yuks....

Just say:
"Thank You"
Language is not a fixed thing, it always changes just like everything is the universe is constantly changing.......this is a physical law.

The english language spoken hundreds of years ago is different than what we speak now, would you call that 'bad' english too?

HS

my one.
mine.

Okay, here I was expecting a rant about the tonnes of grammatical problems typifying the Singapore population, only to find what I can only guess is a rant against sugar-sweetness? I use the same myself very occasionally when I really want to express my thanks, and in England of all places. Thankfully no one has yet glowered at me to express their disapproval at my poor grasp of the English language.

I was going to contribute that much maligned "irregardless", although that is a phrase rather than a word. And the oft, and already, quoted len and shuttle. There are also some fine examples elsewhere in the thread.

What's make good and bad English? Don't you understand though sound wrong to you.

Language has ever been evolving..how ready are you to accept a change?

The english language spoken hundreds of years ago is different than what we speak now, would you call that 'bad' english too?

Through a medium I talked to an Ang Moh who died hundred years ago. I told him I'd got a 12mp dslr.

He said, "12mp? That's bad English."

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.