bad encounter in cathay photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 11, 2002
u n k n o w n
Visit site
I went to Cathay Photo today to buy a UR-E8, lens adapter. I agree with the price and they have 2 pieces left. Those who often visit CP one will know that now they have a new system to double check the invoice by another salesperson. I was so lucky that the Q.C was the manager of CP. SH|T! He told the salesperson who was entertaining my buys that they cannot sell me the adapter!:angry:

The reason he provided is that they have tons of teleconverters and wideangle converters in the display. Therefore, they would like to keep these adapters for those who want to buy these converters because some of the converters' buyers complain that it is quite difficult to find UR-E8. He insisted that if I want the UR-E8, I must buy converter also!

I tried to talk to him, ask him, beg him and even plead to him, yet he refused to buy me!:angry: Isn't that the things are in the display? Is it today is Weekend that I wear so simple that he refused to sell me the adapter? I thought CP is famous for nice service ? (without products?) so weird. I want to buy and he prohibited me from buying, how the world has been changed? Or I am living in the cave so far? The thing is that I agree with the price and they have spare, why don't they sell me that? This is the first time I encounter this kind of "weird" problem.

I also told the manager that I can get the UR-E8 in local. And I know that it was out of stock once. Nevertheless, I said I can get the UR-E8 in local just that I need some time to find it. In the extreme case, I can order it online. Now, he challenged me to buy online! If not I think it is not worth the money, I will straight order one in front of him! &^)(&)*&)&)$#@#. Furthermore, he said that I CANNOT find any in local! He also said that he will call me when the new stock of UR-E8 is coming? Do you think I will trust him? He didn't even jot down my phone number, how can he call me? For the MB-E5700 I also left my phone number to them. Guess what? they never call me! It was luckily that I found the news from hardwarezone, then I quickly asked them (CP) to reserve one piece for me (5 pieces gone within half day!). This kind of service, I wonder why a lot of people still want to go there?

I was very frustrated by this kind of services. So far, recently I just spent more than few hundreds in their shops. (Maybe to them few hundreds is just nothing to other genuine expensive stuffs?) I trust them therefore I always go back there. Not now.

Guess what? Right after I stepped out CP, I saw a lot of shops selling UR-E8. But they quoted me around S$30~S$40 and they claimed that their ones are genuine one.

Not until I went to John 3:16, that I gathered the information that a new batch of UR-E8 will be arrived soon!
Wait until that time I will see what the stubborn "old man" has to say.:devil:

Anyone has some bad encounter in CP? Speak out here and you will feel better. :D

Isn't the golden rule that says,"Customer is always right?" I did nothing wrong what? I agree with their price, and they have the thing, why I cannot buy it? Just to make fun of me? I know money is not Everything, but I don't seen the point.

what do you think? waited 6 months for MB-E5700, and wait another 3 months for UR-E8?

My experience was when I bought a flash unit from them sometime near Christmas 2001. One of the sales lady gave me a quote which was some 10% more than what other shops were quoting. I only found out after I bought the flash unit but then, I only have myself to blame cos I didn't check around for quotations first. :(

But still, it was a unpleasant enough experience for me.

They always do that. I won't go into CP now without an equote. Their in-store quote is always much higher than the equote.

Originally posted by wormz777
They always do that. I won't go into CP now without an equote. Their in-store quote is always much higher than the equote.

Is it? I thought I was an isolated case.

I never find Cathay to offer competitive prices, let alone in Singapore. I only patronise shops in Singapore when I find it a hassle to get something from overseas, or if the things are cheaper to get locally. Cathay is one of the last places that I patronise.

regarding the flashlight, that reminds me 2 separate things I bought from them:

First one is the filter. For the first one with a salesperson, it was S$25. With another, it was S$15. The difference is so much! And I was surprise ONLY after I checked through my accessories one afternoon! It is the same thing!

Second one is step up ring. First time I bought was S$11 , second time S$12. The difference is very small, but, whoa! same salesperson, you know? So, my suggestion will be better that if you bring along some past transaction receipts as a prove or the equote thing.! It is a must!

Another thing is I brought my U.S. friend to buy SLR, the first equote and the second one have S$3 different. They did not refuse to reduce the price even few dollars! I thought sometimes we still can bargain lower than equote? I would like to thank them for giving me good services by introducing more customers to them, yet they did not give my friend any discounts at all!
Their services and their "competitive" prices are so arguable.

:thumbsd: cathay!:p

i was surprsied to see kelvin having to need someone else doublecheck his invoice he wrote...

things have changed indeed. now i understand your post in my thread, 007.

Originally posted by sehsuan
i was surprsied to see kelvin having to need someone else doublecheck his invoice he wrote...

things have changed indeed. now i understand your post in my thread, 007.

so his name is Kelvin! Haha, I will lodge a complaint about him.:thumbsup: :bsmilie:

don't you know that they need 2nd salesperson to double check the invoice for every purchase?

I agree! Somehow the service levels at cathay sometimes really suck! I do love the service at the tripod shop an at their flm shop - people there are really nice!! But I find that the people at the main store are always very rude - except one person - I dont know his name - he is a bit old and seems experienced. The younger ones are so bad that I never buy anything at that place - always preferring other places like TCW/Ruby etc.

A bit OT, but one example of REALLY good service I found at singapore recently was at Funan - when I went with a friend to have a look at the XBox. The young guys manning the place were extremely helpful, knowledgeable and just plain nice!! And we were so impressed we just ended up buying the xbox!! Kudos to those guys!

007, kelvin is a friendly chap. it's the person he had to let look through his invoice that seemed a bit black-faced. :p

I remember I was once equoted $120 for a video camera battery. WheN I went into the shop, they quoted me $190 offhand. That's quite a difference. Luckily I remembered to bring the equote along.

Agree with Radix Lecti. The two gentlemen at the Cathay tripod shop are really impressive with their customer service. :thumbsup: Also noted for my case the Gitzo tripod that I bought from them also was quoted lower compared to B&H. Sometimes, I drop by to chit-chat and the two gentlemen willingly chit-chat with me too even though I wasn't buying any stuff.

The folks at the film and lightbox shop are also nice and gives comparable quotes.

But somehow, the folks at the main shop just don't give me a warm feeling, and so very hesitant to go in now, not to mention buying anything. Have ever walked into the main shop, was really looking for help on those Crumpler bags but no one attended to me even though the shop was not busy. Guess I am invisible to them.

I'm surprised. Have always found the staff at CP in all sections - main, tripod and MF, friendly and helpful. In particular Kelvin is very friendly and always smiling. Although I'm a regular I don't always buy something every visit. I often ask and check prices and bargain. No problems. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

They quoted me 1Ds S$13900.00 and tell me is the best price in the market.Almost get from them but manage to get S$12500.00 from other store.

Originally posted by 1Ds
They quoted me 1Ds S$13900.00 and tell me is the best price in the market.Almost get from them but manage to get S$12500.00 from other store.

Hwahhh! 1Ds sia!:eek: :eek: don't play play! congrats for your purchase!:eek:

Originally posted by Radix Lecti

A bit OT, but one example of REALLY good service I found at singapore recently was at Funan - when I went with a friend to have a look at the XBox. The young guys manning the place were extremely helpful, knowledgeable and just plain nice!! And we were so impressed we just ended up buying the xbox!! Kudos to those guys!

which shop in Funan? John 3:16? not bad though, been there today, nice service! and they told me the truth!

While I have not bought any items from Cathay Photo myself, I have personally encountered less than pleasant service twice when I asked them about some flash for my camera.

The 2 salesman's answer contradict each other and leaves me puzzled and unsure of what to buy, so in the end I left.

I managed to get my flash at AP from Anthony.

He let me take my time to test several different brands of flash and compare the results (I think I took like 30 mins or more) and answered many questions from a newbie like me about the flashes, and I finally bought one from him.

Will defintely return to him for my future purchases and have highly recommended him to my friends and colleagues looking for a digicam.
:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Radix Lecti

Originally posted by 007
which shop in Funan? John 3:16? not bad though, been there today, nice service! and they told me the truth!

I think it's not John 3:16, cos I don't think they sold Xbox! (See Radix Lecti's post)

Originally posted by newuser
While I have not bought any items from Cathay Photo myself, I have personally encountered less than pleasant service twice when I asked them about some flash for my camera.

The 2 salesman's answer contradict each other and leaves me puzzled and unsure of what to buy, so in the end I left.

I managed to get my flash at AP from Anthony.

He let me take my time to test several different brands of flash and compare the results (I think I took like 30 mins or more) and answered many questions from a newbie like me about the flashes, and I finally bought one from him.

Will defintely return to him for my future purchases and have highly recommended him to my friends and colleagues looking for a digicam.
:thumbsup:

One thing I don't like AP is that it's always crowded with customers during weekends and most of the salesmen are so busy to entertain their customers. so, sometimes need to wait for quite a long time. other than that, quite good also in term of price. Good service also! Think that have to go back to AP liao.

Status
Not open for further replies.