@ 2.8
4737143991_0b0842c825.jpg

@ 5.6
4737144493_65801a08b2.jpg

@ 8
4737159933_4bdf998e7a.jpg

@ 11
4737795276_e2991858f0.jpg

All shots are taken at shuttle speed 1/200, 55mm with flash.

I don't think the renown EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM produces such IQ at the corners, at least not even for f11? What do you guys think? Anyone own copies of this piece of glass and would like to share the IQ samples?

send to CSC for calibration... my copy was not like that...

V.bad copy

Send to CSC since yr lens is under warranty ...

would calibration fom CSC settle such issues? Anyways thanks all for reviewing my samples. cheers :)

Hi,
So if it's a bad copy and you send it to CSC,

will they give you a new lens?
or
calibrate it (and it becomes a good copy?)?

Thanks.

thats mine using 1/200 F2.8 and F8 respectively. 100% crop.
seems like its better than yours. but not tack sharp either.

f28y.jpg

87595749.jpg

send to CSC for calibration... my copy was not like that...

does calibration helps? i thought calibration is only if the lens has front and back focusing problem.

When we say calibration, what does CSC actually do to your lens?

Is lens calibration chargeable if our lens is still under warranty? price?

Last edited:
I'd suggest proper focus test using the respective test charts. If the corners are really so far off then the center focus test should reveal the issue.

The 3rd column from right is quite okay wat, given that it is nearer to extreme right border?
Perhaps should compare with center.

thats mine using 1/200 F2.8 and F8 respectively. 100% crop.
seems like its better than yours. but not tack sharp either.

f28y.jpg

87595749.jpg

I suggest you shoot a brickwall or distant block of flats. Mount camera on tripod. MANUAL FOCUS. Check results for different corners of the picture. Is one corner sharper than another?

If all the corners look the same, check autofocus vs manual focus. Shoot wide-open at f/2.8. Take several autofocus shots. Compare.

You must first determine if the problem is due to (a) de-centered elements (b) elements mis-positioned (generally soft) or (c) autofocus miscalibration.

PS: When I got my 17-55 f/2.8 IS several years ago, I rejected 3 copies and kept the fourth one. :)

does calibration helps? i thought calibration is only if the lens has front and back focusing problem.

anyone can answer?

Yes, calibration only addresses front, back and inconsistent focusing issues.

I suspect the procedure is similar to AF micro-adjustment on the 7D, just that it's done for the lens instead of the camera body. The actual details are not revealed. I had tried to coax the info out of Canon technicians but was told the the info was proprietary. :)

Lens calibration is definitely free if item is under warranty. :)

Yes, calibration only addresses front, back and inconsistent focusing issues.

I suspect the procedure is similar to AF micro-adjustment on the 7D, just that it's done for the lens instead of the camera body. The actual details are not revealed. I had tried to coax the info out of Canon technicians but was told the the info was proprietary. :)

Lens calibration is definitely free if item is under warranty. :)

thanskf ro the reply, by the way do we have to sent in our camera too, or only lens?
how long is the process?

thanskf ro the reply, by the way do we have to sent in our camera too, or only lens?
how long is the process?

If you only have one camera body, you should send the lens together with the body and get them to calibrate the LENS to the body. They'll get the focus perfect.

Process is about 5 working days or shorter.

If you only have one camera body, you should send the lens together with the body and get them to calibrate the LENS to the body. They'll get the focus perfect.

Process is about 5 working days or shorter.

thanks, currently i do not find my lens have any front or back focusing problem base on the focusing chart.

However, sometimes i feel the picture i took is not sharp enough, ofcourse maybe due to camera shake.

On the same topic, this was also taken with 17-55. Seems that something not right on the extreme left of the photo....

4741183291_419608fdfe_b.jpg

On the same topic, this was also taken with 17-55. Seems that something not right on the extreme left of the photo....

4741183291_419608fdfe_b.jpg

which part of the left went wrong? Where was your focus pointing at?

Focus is on the KLCC area...but the left portion of the shot seems to be slightly OOF. I had another grp shot with the left area also slightly OOF...

Hmm, that pic you posted shows some softness on the left hand side compared to the right. But honestly, its hard to say for sure, it might be a DOF issue instead. The entire background is very out of focus...i think a better aperture selection would have helped the image a great deal.

From the very first set of pictures posted...i dont think its that bad considering that you are shooting wide open and assessing almost extreme corner performance. But i think the lens is capable of better than that based on my copy (which is pretty much sharp corner to corner - but i dont usually pixel peep)

Try a calibration first and foremost. Might be an AF issue rather than a problem with the lens