Bad case of Canon 5DMK11 30P to 25P on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibeiblur

Feb 5, 2008
I just happen to watch the H1N1 promo spot on Ch 5(featuring Adrain Phang and the NMP babe). From the look of the shot, I'm quite sure it was shot on the Canon 5DMKII.

Has anyone notice the bad stuttering in the video? Seriously how can this be broadcasted :nono: I wonder whether Mediacorp has any more quality control.

Frankly, the 5D MK11 can produce stunning video, but unless you have a good 30P to 25P conversion method, I say just stick to your video cam at the time being.

I just happen to watch the H1N1 promo spot on Ch 5(featuring Adrain Phang and the NMP babe). From the look of the shot, I'm quite sure it was shot on the Canon 5DMKII.

Has anyone notice the bad stuttering in the video? Seriously how can this be broadcasted :nono: I wonder whether Mediacorp has any more quality control.

Frankly, the 5D MK11 can produce stunning video, but unless you have a good 30P to 25P conversion method, I say just stick to your video cam at the time being.

Yes, and I am glad someone spotted that!
When dealing with 30fps materials, I always pass the video thru our Teranex framerate converters to make sure the output framerate is at 25fps.

I think what these people do is just to re-render the 30fps footage on their 25fps timeline and pass it off as 25fps materials for broadcast...Again, if I'm doing the QC, i'd downright reject it or have it requested to be properly converted thru a Snell & Wilcox or a Teranex! :thumbsd::thumbsd:

It could be a d90 or any ntsc hd video cam.

I thought when we talked about this in my other thread about the Saving Gaia ad, Mediacorp or 'somebody' would take note..

Well..:dunno::sticktong

For fcp user, can try using nattress or cinema tool to convert the frame rate.

Software frame rate conversion will never beat the few thousand dollars hardware converters. They greatly reduces noise when upres, downrez and all the frame blending etc looks really good after the real-time hardware conversion.

its depend on how you look at 5dmk2 footage, for less than $4k camera with its quality of footage.
there will be definitely be some compromise in its codec. attach is a link for its conversion.
hope it help. but honestly i will not think of using this camera for a tvc yet.

http://philipbloom.co.uk/

Last edited:
Software frame rate conversion will never beat the few thousand dollars hardware converters. They greatly reduces noise when upres, downrez and all the frame blending etc looks really good after the real-time hardware conversion.

software conversion can be gd but the rendering takes a long time if you activate the highest quality settings

Regardless of using software or hardware conversion, I would thought the production house should at least do a 30p-25p test before rolling it out for prime time viewing.

Considering there are a fair bit of tracking shots in the promo, any bad conversion will surely be noticeable.

Anyway maybe Mediacorp is a testing ground after all:bsmilie: And they passed the conversion test ;)

Yes, and I am glad someone spotted that!
When dealing with 30fps materials, I always pass the video thru our Teranex framerate converters to make sure the output framerate is at 25fps.

I think what these people do is just to re-render the 30fps footage on their 25fps timeline and pass it off as 25fps materials for broadcast...Again, if I'm doing the QC, i'd downright reject it or have it requested to be properly converted thru a Snell & Wilcox or a Teranex! :thumbsd::thumbsd:

Hi DXNMedia,

So based on your statement above, is it impossible to work and mix different format on a single timeline during editing? If it is, so the proper way of doing it, is to convert every clips to a single format using the converter (such as Teranex) before working on them? Thank you in advance.

Hi DXNMedia,

So based on your statement above, is it impossible to work and mix different format on a single timeline during editing? If it is, so the proper way of doing it, is to convert every clips to a single format using the converter (such as Teranex) before working on them? Thank you in advance.

As much as all the leading software promises multiple format playback in the same timeline, it doesn't mean that the software can handle frame-rate conversion properly. All the software does is to drop or add frames to comply to your master timeline's framerate.

If quality is not an issue and that you'll be happy as long as there's video & sound, you can still use the rendered video. Apparently, QC of some local stations have been so laxed that such converted footage went on air before.

The proper way to do frame-rate conversion is through good hardware converters like the Snell or Teranex which have motion compensation algorithm built in. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.