Bad accident on PIE

G-man said:
You were there? Witnessed the whole thing?
Or just speculating?

I was not there but I am not speculating: that's what the news reported.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...o-died-was-construction-worker-india-20130315

"The 29-year-old was seated at the back of the lorry with his fellow workers when a car apparently rear-ended the larger vehicle at high-speed, causing it to tilt over, said an eyewitness."

"The female driver of the car was also hurt and admitted for treatment."

Last edited:
In light of the tragic nature of this accident, I don't think it's fair any comments are made about any party.

The worker may not have died if he had a proper seat with seat belt instead of a bench.

The worker may not have died if he had a proper seat with seat belt instead of a bench.

Worker would not have died if no idiotic speeding driver came along. the Nude Paper reported the driver of the black car to be male though.

I usually don't believe in being JINX but this company workers appeared to be so. Just two weeks ago, one of the workers crossed the road and was knocked down by a scrambler biker. The biker was killed and the worker was very seriously injured. A few years ago, another worker was killed by food poisoning (cooked by themselves in the factory). I may be wrong, but this I gathered from kopitiam talk.

I usually don't believe in being JINX but this company workers appeared to be so. Just two weeks ago, one of the workers crossed the road and was knocked down by a scrambler biker. The biker was killed and the worker was very seriously injured. A few years ago, another worker was killed by food poisoning (cooked by themselves in the factory). I may be wrong, but this I gathered from kopitiam talk.

Same company? If not.. sh!t happens.. its just a random statistical fact of life..

Hinata76 said:
i see title i ask myself...bad accident...got good accident meh..

Not so much "bad" vs "good". Rather "bad" vs "minor" ("not so bad").

Ferry human in lorry and pickup seem to be norm and approved here. It is all about cost. Worse, most times you see people with goods behind lorry.

If we have reached 1st world standard, lets improve over this area.

Indeed. Such modes of transport are banned in other countries for a good reason. But here, the value of the foreign worker is only as high as the administrative fees to bring him into the country. That explains the treatment of ferrying them on loading area instead of getting a proper bus. Why does it need a legal framework so that Singapore companies treat foreign workers fairly and respectful?

Last edited:
Because someone said we must be "cheaper, better & faster" mah! :D

Because someone said we must be "cheaper, better & faster" mah! :D

That does not mean we can degrade foreign workers to a mere $$ making machine or second class residents. Which sadly.. few people do.

hanzohattori said:
That does not mean we can degrade foreign workers to a mere $$ making machine or second class residents. Which sadly.. few people do.

Tell that to those who base their business model on being profitable through cheap foreign labour. It's disgusting I know.

Tell that to those who base their business model on being profitable through cheap foreign labour. It's disgusting I know.

some businesses are intrinsically labor intensive , eg laundry factory.

how many Singaporeans want to toil long hours in a job with few prospects of promotion? And among those who do, how many are young and fit (for the manual labor required) and want to stick around as long as physically possible?

Sure thing. Definitely a few industries do require menial labourers. But to cheap out on them through wages and safety is still disgusting.

Mind you, I have NO issue with foreign workers. I do however, have an issue if those workers are exploited and underpaid, as well as not being provided with basic safety equipment.

Sure thing. Definitely a few industries do require menial labourers. But to cheap out on them through wages and safety is still disgusting.

Mind you, I have NO issue with foreign workers. I do however, have an issue if those workers are exploited and underpaid, as well as not being provided with basic safety equipment.

employees are internal customers and their welfare is paramount to performance.