Backup your photos to hard disk without computer

icube

May 22, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Visit site
Hi i will be travelling and i am thinking how can i backup my SD, CF and SDHC cards data to an external hard drive without the use of a computer?

I have a Sandisk Multicard reader, and a 64GB iPad and the Camera Connection Kit. Am thinking of getting a external HDD.

Is there a device locally available that I can buy that I can transfer immediately to the HDD?

Thanks

Yes. I have one but I forgot the brand. It's basically a backup device that allows you to back up yr CF/SD cards directly without the need for a computer. The transfer speed is pretty fast too. Mine's the older model and the speed is about 20+mb/s. this device runs on its own power (rechargeable battery) n you can choose the size of the HDD you want. It uses standard 3.5 in HDD. I bought mine from memoryworld at Funan.

Hi,
You can use hyperdrive. The casing will cost you around 3xx sgd. you can buy at memoryworld. The store located in simlim and funan.

This used to be a popular method. Epson used to do it but now it has fade away. Other brands doesnt seem to have a good reputation but i may be wrong. I used to have one taiwanese brand but could never seem to work. I see some people back up to Ipad. Nowadays, w the price of SD/CF card falling, people just buy more cards lor.

Do share your findings. thanks.

iPad max is 64gb. And I am guessing the transfer speed is relatively slow. And it's not a question about getting more CF or SD cards becos they are cheap, but having the option to back up (as opposed to merely transferring then reformatting the cards for reuse) all those cards while on the move.

I agree bring more card, but we need also hdd to backup. In case something happen with our card. Epson is a good brand, but so expensive. I used hyperdrive with 320gb hdd for around 2 years and so far have a great experience when I trip.

I backup to my iPad with the connection kit and keep another backup file in my memory card without deleting it in my last one week holiday. Have to delete some apps and videos for space. I think you could upload to iCloud too if you can get wifi there? 50GB free iCloud space... Cheapest way.

Does it save any format...meaning both jpeg and raw files?

It will save whatever format is recorded on the SD/CF card. If you store in JPG and RAW, it will replicate both.

Unless you travels often else those backup device quite a waste. For me, I get a netbook. When got free WiFi, also can surf. Anyway, its up to individual. :D

BBTM said:
Unless you travels often else those backup device quite a waste. For me, I get a netbook. When got free WiFi, also can surf. Anyway, its up to individual. :D

Thanks for the advice. Am intending to bring my net book as well but got curious about the device.

Yep, netbook works too. Just takes a bit longer but hey you are on holiday!

I would suggest buying more SD cards for your trip.

The HDD backup is unreliable as you need power, possibility of HDD crash and it is bulky.

Last edited:
I have to admit I am quite kiasu... I transfer from the memory card to netbook and then duplicate another set from netbook onto anexternal hard disk (usually with 500Gb capacity).
When I am back, I just copy everything from the external hard disk to the working PC.

yewkwang said:
I have to admit I am quite kiasu... I transfer from the memory card to netbook and then duplicate another set from netbook onto anexternal hard disk (usually with 500Gb capacity).
When I am back, I just copy everything from the external hard disk to the working PC.

Great to know I'm not the only kiasu one. My intention is exactly as yours.

If the photos in the SD cards are not deleted, this means having three copies.

Every devices got their pro n con. So, choose wisely. :D

i go for more memory cards as well
small, light, does not need power

spend your money on a camera with dual memory slots