Backup photographer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duinchlfc

Aug 29, 2006
Sengkang
Hi there,just wanna get some advice on being a backup photographer.I was called up by my friend to be her sister's backup photographer.After some clarification,she meant for me to cover her sister's side while the official photographer covers the grooms side.

So my question is what equipment should i have? I am planning to get the 40D body plus other things.The other things is what i'm not sure about.I got a suggestion to just get the body and a 17-40 L.Do i needed a flash gun? My budget is only $4000.

The 17-40 L would be perfect for those wideangle shots with some zoom flexibilty. Oh yes, pls get a flash, like the latest 580EX MII and then get a diffuser (eg, stofen omnibounce or Lightsphere). You can get a zoom lens for close up shots if you want.

For $4000, you can get these (my suggestions):

40D Body at Comex $2000+ (already comes with whole lots of basic accessories)
17-40 L at around $1000 (not sure the price...)
580EX or 580EX MII at max $700
Omnibounce at $30 (Cathay have)
If can buy the 55-200 zoom lens at the comex too (its a purchase with purchase promotion)

Add everything up its $4000 and a bit.

My neng jiam...(2cents)

I suggest just get the body($1890), everything else from B&S....can get a 16-35 M1($1500), 430EX ($400) . The F2.8 will go a long way. For dinner go rent or borrow a 70-200F2.8IS.

Do you think your job is a backup photog? :dunno:

Get the body 1st the rest can rent, if possible.

Yar...rent is a very good suggestion, especially if you can't decide which lens to buy! Like that you can rent until happy!

make sure you have enough time to learn how to use your gear before the event. going to a new body w/ new lenses and everything can be tricky.

oh....and forget about a 2nd lens unless you're also planning on taking along a second body. i dont think you'll have much time to switch lenses.

make sure you have enough time to learn how to use your gear before the event. going to a new body w/ new lenses and everything can be tricky.

AGREEE WITH THAT!:thumbsup:

oh....and forget about a 2nd lens unless you're also planning on taking along a second body. i dont think you'll have much time to switch lenses.

this is very true.

though i was a backup photographer using a nikon system, what i had with me was

d50
28-70mm f2.8
sb-24 flash

no time to change lens. and hell.. 28-70 hard to get wide angle.. lucky there's the main photographe :cry:

but shots were still nice :)

Hi there,just wanna get some advice on being a backup photographer.I was called up by my friend to be her sister's backup photographer.After some clarification,she meant for me to cover her sister's side while the official photographer covers the grooms side.

So my question is what equipment should i have? I am planning to get the 40D body plus other things.The other things is what i'm not sure about.I got a suggestion to just get the body and a 17-40 L.Do i needed a flash gun? My budget is only $4000.

i hope you've clarified the scope of what you're expected to deliver. wedding photographers almost always cover preparations of the bride, plus arrival of the groom etc. if you are being asked to "cover her sister's side" then is the official (i assume also paid) photographer asked to cover the groom?

another way to read the request is for you to literally cover the bride in the shots while the official photographer shoots from the groom's side. if so, when are you expected to be there, and when might you actually get int he way of the official photographer?

also, i hope the official photographer is aware and agreeable to you being around.

if you've never covered a wedding, or don't currently own your gear (hence i assume you aren't familiar with it), then equipment handling and knowledge of protocol are also a concern. regardless of what body/ lenses/ accessories or shirts you buy, experience and knowledge are vital.

i agree fully with Kit's comments.

take care, its someone's big day :)

Your advice is very much appreciated however i did not choose to get such a set up just because of the above mentioned reason.I have owned 30D before and gotten to terms with its functions and all.All thats new to me now is using a flash provided i get it.I will find out more from my friend as as you've said and i agree,this is someones's big day.

oh...i didn't mean to say you've not had experience with a dslr. i'm just saying that the 40d will have more funtions, possibly a different control layout. you'll want to be able to access these functions/change settings/etc without having to fumble around too much. so just give yourself some time to get used to the camera. if not, use the 30d. it should be good enough.

also for the flash...i just got the 580ex ii....i'm coming from no flash so using it out of auto mode (which doesnt make for great pictures) is pretty confusing to me.

Just wondering, when you mentioned of having a budget of $4,000, does it comes as payment to be the "backup" photographer?

If not, I think you are better off not taking this up.

If it is, then use $2,000 of the $4,000 to engage another photographer and keep the remaining $2,000.

why would a official photographer want to start at the groom side instead of the bride side??
Izit the groom need to cross the causeway to fetch the bride??

do you know most of the important and interesting shots are at the bride's side before groom arrive??

from your past threads, you seem to believe in equipment more then the skills, just wondering, have you shot any weddings before??

Just wondering, when you mentioned of having a budget of $4,000, does it comes as payment to be the "backup" photographer?

If not, I think you are better off not taking this up.

If it is, then use $2,000 of the $4,000 to engage another photographer and keep the remaining $2,000.

I wish the payment was so haha.As i've said i'm doing this for my friend.Its pretty much for nothing except for a small red packet.In this case,i think i should switch over to the grooms side and let the official pro photographer do the brides side then.Thanks for the suggestion though.

I wish the payment was so haha.As i've said i'm doing this for my friend.Its pretty much for nothing except for a small red packet.In this case,i think i should switch over to the grooms side and let the official pro photographer do the brides side then.Thanks for the suggestion though.

honestly speaking the official photog should know that he should start at bride's side and not groom's side.

is he reliable? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.